xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Another Manufacturer Says Xbox 360 Blu-ray Coming This Year  (Read 378 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Another Manufacturer Says Xbox 360 Blu-ray Coming This Year
Posted by XanTium | May 1 23:58 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From kotaku.com:

A report from Taiwanese news source Economic Daily News says that Pegatron Technology--a recently formed subsidiary of Asus that shouldn't be confused with the Decepticon leader--has received an order from Microsoft to manufacture a Blu-ray equipped model of the Xbox 360. According to the report, Pegatron says that it plans to begin production on the HD version of the Xbox 360 soon, with plans to ship within the next six months, aiming for a pre-holiday release.

The EDN report also mentions that a price cut for the Core (Arcade) version of the 360 is planned, but doesn't provide further details on timing or adjustments.

Full Story: kotaku.com

Shonk

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:57:00 AM »

i hope they actually get a designer to do this one
instead of just throwing one together

proper spacing for the av and hdmi port
and onboard optical out

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(Shonk @ May 2 2008, 12:57 AM) View Post

i hope they actually get a designer to do this one
instead of just throwing one together

proper spacing for the av and hdmi port
and onboard optical out

Agree 100%

And it better be a 120GB or more, and at no more then $500.  If they can meet all these criteria, then i'll be picking one up.

Lezlyte

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 02:53:00 AM »

I'll believe when I see it.

For the last time, external is a long shot, let alone internal.

madsci1016

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(Lezlyte @ May 2 2008, 09:53 AM) View Post

I'll believe when I see it.

For the last time, external is a long shot, let alone internal.

Why?

The format war is over. M$ picked the wrong side. It would be foolish not to adopt the next major standard in media distribution, even if your long term goal was for mass streaming content distribution. Why keep your product lacking features that will give consumers a reason to buy a competitors product instead?

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 04:41:00 AM »

Sounds good if true!

This post has been edited by Heet: May 2 2008, 11:44 AM

the soul poet

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:59:00 AM »

I don't want a new SKU but I would take a blueray add on.  Hopefully they'd do more colors than white.  tongue.gif

I am still praying for M$ to work out a way to allow us to use our own harddrive without their fear of compromising the DRM.  Can they not format it the same way ffs.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:42:00 AM »

if this were true then it would probably be the last "big" SKU they develop, so i would probably buy one, not that im not happy with my launch 360, it's just getting old now laugh.gif

newfie4ever

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »

I hope this is true. I have both the 360 and ps3 and can honestly say I prefer the 360 over the ps3 for gaming 10 to 1. The main reason for the ps3 was the blu-ray player. I find the controllers are way to light and don't fit into your hands right (my opinion). If the 360 comes out with a blu-ray player, i'll be selling both my ps3's just to get one.

beasty54

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »

With the noise the 360 already makes i just cant see a point in this. If people that already have a 360 want blu-ray, why not go and buy a PS3 because that way you have a quiet Blu-Ray player and a new console if you ever want to use it to play games. I picked up an Elite ready for the GTA4 launch and i had forgotten how noisy the 360 is (was without one for 1 month) and although for gaming it doesn't bother me mainly due to the fact i have my sound system that loud, for watching movies its out of the question.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(beasty54 @ May 2 2008, 07:03 AM) View Post

With the noise the 360 already makes i just cant see a point in this. If people that already have a 360 want blu-ray, why not go and buy a PS3 because that way you have a quiet Blu-Ray player and a new console if you ever want to use it to play games. I picked up an Elite ready for the GTA4 launch and i had forgotten how noisy the 360 is (was without one for 1 month) and although for gaming it doesn't bother me mainly due to the fact i have my sound system that loud, for watching movies its out of the question.

The majority of the 360 noise comes from the dvd drive spinning at its full 12x speed, not the fans.  If BR drive was put in, it would only be at the most 4x speed, and thereby not very loud.  There wouldn't be much dB different between it and the ps3.

beasty54

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ May 2 2008, 03:10 PM) View Post

The majority of the 360 noise comes from the dvd drive spinning at its full 12x speed, not the fans.  If BR drive was put in, it would only be at the most 4x speed, and thereby not very loud.  There wouldn't be much dB different between it and the ps3.

Maybe so but i still find my PS3 MUCH quiter when watching blu-rays than my 360 while its sat idle at the dash.

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »

I would like if they make both a internal and external Blu-Ray drive.

Or have a way that if you have to send your 360 in for repair you can request/pay some and they will send you a new one with the new Blu-Ray player.

KRQKAN

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »

and it shpuld have better cooling

Hoyt

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »

Here's the thing that should concern a lot of folks though...

If they make the drive internal then at some point they may allow developers to create games on the blu-ray discs.  Then those games would only work on the newer consoles.  I don't recall this type of thing ever being done in a consoles life span, where the earlier manufactured consoles were completely obsoleted like that.

Imaging the backlash from existing 360 owners.  It seems like it would be better for game play if they just allowed devs to require a hard drive.

What do y'all think?  Seems like the feces would hit the fan if they started making blu-ray games.
Pages: [1] 2 3