xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sony, Microsoft discuss Blu-ray for Xbox 360 *Update: MS Denies*  (Read 371 times)

Chancer

• Archived User
Sony, Microsoft discuss Blu-ray for Xbox 360 *Update: MS Denies*
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »

The Xbox is upgradeable, the PS3 is not.

Could you quantify what you mean by that?
 I can't think to what you refer but the PS3 is upgradeable as a BR player via software updates, as is the dash and other features of the PS3.

ES0090

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »

Amid rumors that Microsoft is in talks to add Blu-ray support to its Xbox 360 game console, CEO Steve Ballmer has indicated the company’s intention to support the remaining high-def format.

As reported by The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer took part in an onstage conversation at the company’s Mix08 Internet conference in Las Vegas Thursday, where the topics discussed included Microsoft’s high-def plans following the discontinuation of Toshiba’s HD DVD format.

Without offering specifics, Ballmer said the company will work to support Blu-ray.

“We've already been working on, for example, in Windows, device driver support for Blu-ray drives and the like,” Ballmer stated. “I think the world moves on. Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense.”

http://hddvd.highdef...

TVDave

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »

If MS is smart, they should integrate it even if games don't use it.  Now that PS3 is catching up with Xbox 360 games and getting rumble, when someone's deciding between PS3 and 360, Blu-Ray *will* be a factor.  If games are on par, then they might not be able to sway someone one way or the other.  But needing a clunky external drive for Blu-Ray playback would be a big factor for me.  It would also be sweet if MS changed the drive to a slot-load like PS3.

kilroy2

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »

Wouldn't it be scary if someday in the future, years after MS licenses Blu-Ray from Sony, that someone discovers a hidden rootkit in the code Sony supplied to Microsoft?

Does anyone remember the debacle from a few years back?

http://www.usatoday....y-rootkit_x.htm

Image that....

-Kilroy

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Mar 7 2008, 08:47 PM) View Post

Could you quantify what you mean by that?
 I can't think to what you refer but the PS3 is upgradeable as a BR player via software updates, as is the dash and other features of the PS3.

Hardware.  If you have a 20G PS3 but fill it than you have to sell your current one and buy a 60G.  With a 360 all you have to do is get a new drive.  There's something else hardware wise that I saw in the comparisons but I don't remember what it was.  Both are software upgradable but when was the last time you had to sit for 4 hours to upgrade your 360?

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »

completly wrong.

the PS3 does NOT take 4 hours to update, it takes roughly 10 minutes. why not do something while it updates? go for a walk, get some excersise.

the PS3 HDD is more upgradable than the 360. the PS3 will accept any 2.5inch HDD and use it, you can add your own 250Gb HDD if you want to. with the xbox, you have to buy the insanely over priced MS HDD's which are limited to 20Gb and 120Gb (and soon, 60Gb).

where do you get your facts from?

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »

i dont think blu-ray or wireless should be integrated, many people do not want or need those things (like me) so why should we pay more so that 5% of the people that use them can have them already built in? i prefer to pay for only what i want and need, and i know many people agree with me, thats why the 360's lack of a Hi-Def format and wireless and everything else not being intergrated, becomes a selling point as were not forced to pay for something that we dont want.

granted, some people may want these things integrated, but its a very small market share, which even half of that market share would even buy the SKU due to it either being to pricey, or due to them already having an xbox

i cannot see why having wireless integrated or a 250Gb hard drive will inspire you to buy games. neither is needed to play games, and as you said you do not use xbox live, then those two things would go to waste

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 02:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(chronno @ Mar 10 2008, 05:10 PM) View Post

Hardware.  If you have a 20G PS3 but fill it than you have to sell your current one and buy a 60G.  With a 360 all you have to do is get a new drive.  There's something else hardware wise that I saw in the comparisons but I don't remember what it was.  Both are software upgradable but when was the last time you had to sit for 4 hours to upgrade your 360?

You are misinformed. The PS3 is upgradeable with a standard, widely available drive.
 I never had to sit for 4 hours to upgrade either.
There is hardly any perceptible difference in software upgrading either.
Your facts are ...well not facts at all.

kilroy2

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »

So, in keeping with my prediction, I purchased a couple PS3 units the other day.

In my house that now means I have 3x Xbox 360, 2x PS3 and 1x Wii.

But even more interesting is that while on vacation with a bunch of friends for one friend's 40th birthday, I bought him a PS3 because I knew he'd love a Blu-Ray player.

After giving him the gift, the other friends asked me why I gave a game console to someone who didn't play games.

I replied, noting that the games play is an added bonus -- the PS3 is the most upgradable Blu-Ray player out there and makes a great media center as well.  After a few questions from the group it was clear to see that Sony will be selling at least another handful of PS3 Blu-Ray players in the short term.

I did remind all present that if they wanted to play games, the 360 was my recommendation, but if they wanted a Blu-Ray player and maybe a game or two, the PS3 was the clear choice for $400.

Microsoft, I again remind you a that you are making a poor decision to not make a Blu-Ray version of the 360 available.

Pages: 1 2 [3]