xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sony, Microsoft discuss Blu-ray for Xbox 360 *Update: MS Denies*  (Read 370 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Sony, Microsoft discuss Blu-ray for Xbox 360 *Update: MS Denies*
Posted by XanTium | March 6 15:10 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From ft.com:

Sony is in talks with console rival Microsoft about offering a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360, according to a senior executive.

After Sony's victory last month in the high-definition DVD format war, Stan Glasgow, Sony Electronics US president, said the two sides were now talking about Microsoft adopting Blu-ray.

A Blu-ray drive in a 360 would make Microsoft more competitive with the PS3, but it would also mean extra revenues for Sony's electronics division. It would also add further cost to the 360, meaning a premium edition of the console could be necessary.

A Blu-ray drive could be incorporated in its top-of-the-range Elite Xbox, or Microsoft could again offer a drive as a plug-in peripheral.

*Update* From next-gen.biz:

But a Microsoft rep said in a phone interview with Next-Gen that that is "not at all" the case, and Microsoft will "remain focused on the games" for the console, not its movie playback capabilities.
"There are no plans to introduce Blu-ray," said the spokesperson.

Full Story: ft.com | next-gen.biz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

Interesting, though I would be very surprised if Microsoft turned around and put an internal bluray drive in any of their 360s.  An external Bluray drive would make more sense to me.

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »

If they release an external, I can't see myself getting a PS3 until they're like $100 used.

Andronicus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

It was only a matter of time.  As I previously predicted look for these to arive in stores for the holiday season.

Now that there is no risk of obsilesence, M$ may start puting these in primium consols.  I think the real reason they did not do that with HD was that they were scared, and not willing to bet it all the way Sony did.

Steve-0

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »

well if they start putting them into new 360's i can see a lot of unhappy loyal followers, unless they was gonna make an external drive aswell. there is no way im gonna trade in my console again and pay extra just to have intergrated blu-ray, they are gonna turn this into hard work unless they just make and external drive.

88 Ecko Unltd 88

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »

Microsoft played this one out smart, instead of having an internal player they used an external player. just in case something like this would happen.  I highly doubt that ms will use the blu-ray player as an internal device (that would be awesome if they did).

x881

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

Here it is Xbox 360 blu-ray add-on. tongue.gif

IPB Image

mrp04

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(x881 @ Mar 6 2008, 11:08 PM) View Post

IPB Image

Now that everyone knows about it, I am not bound by the NDA I signed in summer when I bought my own 360 blu-ray addon!

Ponxplus

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

I'd be more than happy to plop down $500 for a 360 with built in bluray.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(x881 @ Mar 6 2008, 11:08 PM) View Post

CODE
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg46/x881/blu.jpg

The RoL should be 3/4 Red tongue.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

i hate that word "according" could be any jo blogs senior executive. I bet MS don't give a dam about Blu-Ray, Video Market Place and IPTV are far more important, glad I have a PS3 as well I bet the play would have some sort of missing feature, and I thought Blu-Ray is a consortium I didn't think Sony has anything to do with MS joining Blu-Ray or not.

Xijar

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

If they release a Blu-ray option, it will be external. Anyone who honestly thinks they'll seriously make an internal Blu-ray 360 SKU, is a moron. Nobody will pay $200 extra for their console for a version with a better drive, since all games will be on DVD, unlike the PS3. Movies will not keep it from selling like crap and being discontinued shortly after. If they did release an external BD player, I'd probably buy it though.

prplehz

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »

If Ms had just put the damn hddvd drive in the 360 in the first place.  The user hddvd base would have been much larger and there would have been more hddvd disks sold I think.  Then they wouldn't be in the situation they are now.  They shot themselves in the foot and are now going to have to pay Sony to use bluray, ha ha ha...  Sucks for us though. How about a dual format drive, even though hddvd is dead atleast we could still use our hddvd disks.

FourStarKidd04

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »

So now does the European Union sue Sony for making everyone use Blu-Ray?

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »

Why the hell isn't an international consortia controlling these technological decisions so that nobody OWNS the technology when its finalized? Everyone should be able to adpot the new standard for FREE. One company should never get a monopoly on a technology the whole word will be using. The movie studios should get together with the other big tech companies and plan the next format in such a way that no company owns the technology. I don't see how that is in anyones best interest except for the company who owns the format...
Pages: [1] 2 3