xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Streaming From Wmp11 To Xbox360 Works & Then It Doesn't?  (Read 97 times)

CrazyEyes@#

• Archived User
Streaming From Wmp11 To Xbox360 Works & Then It Doesn't?
« on: February 29, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »

Hi,

I've searched the threads to see if anyone else has this problem but couldn't find anything yet.

Basically I stream from WMP11 to xbox360 via ethernet through the netgear DG834G 4 port switch.

After a fresh reboot of my PC I can stream pictures / music / videos all perfectly.
But if I start, and then stop a movie, or switch to a different movie, or even spend more than
a few minutes browsing through my list of movies - then my xbox360 suddenly can't find
any files that are being shared from WMP11.  It can't see any videos / pictures / music - nothing.
It just sits there with the "searching" icon for a few minutes and then gives up and says
no <videos/music/pictures> found.

Then if I reboot my PC again - all is back to normal and I can play movies etc. fine.
(I don't have to reboot the xbox360 to fix it - just the PC).

Any ideas out there?  My next step is to try a cross over cable directly from PC to x360
just so I can rule out the modem router.  BTW - I'm running XP SP2 home edition on PC.

Thanks for any help.

wallace4793

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »

It might be an idea to try zune/tvversity/ twonky or any other streaming app to see if the problem lies within wmp11. It is unlikely to be solved using a crossover cable as both the 360 and the dg834g autodetects and switchs depending on the cable used

John

CrazyEyes@#

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »

Yeh I'm thinking about trying one of these other apps.  When I mentioned using a cross over cable I meant that I would connect the x360 direclty to the pc (bypassing the router) - however I didn't realise the x360 could do auto detect so I could use typical cable.  I don't think the router is the problem - I was just going to make sure so I can rule it out. Thanks.

This post has been edited by CrazyEyes@#: Feb 29 2008, 10:00 PM

bigdiiddy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »

same thing happened to me i just installed wmp11 and install windows media connect then all your problems will be solved i even thought it was my firewall but wmp11 is just unstable

CrazyEyes@#

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »

Thanks for your reply.  May I ask where you got WMC and what version you used.  I went to microsoft site and it says WMC v2 is no longer available as a standalone product and that WMC v3 is bundled with WMP11.  

This does appear to be the culprit.  As I said everything can be working perfectly, then suddenly x360 loses access to all media on the PC (but it can still see the PC because it will correctly show the hostname).

If I can't fix this problem then I guess I will try one of the apps john suggested, but I really wish it would work because when it does it is great.

This post has been edited by CrazyEyes@#: Mar 1 2008, 04:58 AM

bigdiiddy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 01:36:00 AM »

in my last reply i meant to say uninstall windows media player i think you figured that out but you can get wmc 2.0 from filefront

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »

TVersity is definitely the way forward.

I had numerous problems with WMP11, mainly with the actual streaming of HD content - even with a wireless G connection it was still struggling with content as low as 10Mbps. I also had the problem that media stored on an external drive wasn't displaying in the library all the time.

I disabled the WMP11 sharing and installed TVersity. No more streaming issues. All content streaming issues are now gone. Also, the media is always available. Because TVersity passes divx and WMV VC-1 content straight through to the 360, there's no transcoding to be done by the PC.

Go with TVersity - you won't be disappointed.

CrazyEyes@#

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »

Thanks Martinchris23.  I didn't realise TVersity passed divx straight through, I thought it transcoded everything - in that case I'm going to ditch WMP11 media sharing and give it a go.  Thanks for all the replies everyone.