xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xboxfounder on HD-DVD/Blu-ray for Xbox 360  (Read 230 times)

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Xboxfounder on HD-DVD/Blu-ray for Xbox 360
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Feb 20 2008, 03:38 AM) View Post

Once again I will say, Sony & MS had relations LONG before the PS and Xbox came about. This is no different. I'm betting that Sony will do what they did to the PS3 again... sacrifice it's advantage for the success of their new HD format. They threw it under the bus to guarantee blu-ray's success, and they'll surely make the deal with MS cuz a collaborative effort could push them well into the homes of many potential buyers.

Let's think about this though. If there are a big percentage of people buying PS3's for bluray capability, what will happen if the 360 starts playing bluray? After all, the ONLY reason I bought my PS3 was to have a bluray player. If the 360 played bluray before now, I probably would not own a PS3 at all.

Won't be much of a hard decision for Sony. Someone who already has a 360, but doesn't want to spend a lot to enjoy BDs would be able to do so. Someone who doesn't own a PS3 or 360 will still be spending about the same on a 360 + BD preph ($350 + $1XX) vs. PS3 ($400). Someone who has a budget and a 360 will more than likely trade their 360 in if they want a PS3, and a 360 isn't exactly something that's easy to part with, so a BD add-on would be more of a win-win for everyone.

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »

That statement is a lot of B*****T, because Blu-Ray it's not Sony, and even if they don't like Microsoft, they can't do anything about it.

MS only needs to buy the licence and nothing else.

Nowadays, they put everything they find on the net on the front page, even if its a comment of a john doe.

shodanjr_gr

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »

I call BS on the "Sony being able to stop MS from getting licensed as a BD user" part of the news. For a variety of reasons, first of which is the fact that Sony IS NOT the owner of the BD format, there is an association that makes decisions about it.

I mean, having insider info is all well and good, but sensationalizing news like this goes over the top...

Arch0n

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(leo5150 @ Feb 20 2008, 12:43 AM) View Post
The person who wrote the article is a ASSCLOWN the  BLU-RAY group allready said they would welcome  them with open arms

QUOTE(davinator456 @ Feb 20 2008, 02:28 AM) View Post
This guy is a moron

100% Agreed. The article is complete dribble and author has the business accumen of a 2 year old.
Is this the same guy who has been quoted in front-page news before and who used to work for Microsoft 6 months before the launch of the 360 and regularly comes out with BS predictions and inside info not relevant and that can't be substantiated? Wouldn't surprise me if it is.
... "On to HD-DVD v Blu-ray. MS  opposed Blu-ray because Sony supported it, plain and simple. I was in  the room when the decision was made. But they hedged their bets by  making the Media player a plug in. They could very quickly have a Blue  Ray external plug in just like the HD, if Sony will cooperate."

I doubt this dude was in the room let alone the building where any real decision making was made. boardroom does not equal engineering water-cooler.

"We hate Sony so lets leave" is not a profit building methodology. "BR Consortium won't license HDi over Java from us" is.
   "Therein  lays the rub. MS, one of the worst co's to get info out of to make  products compatible, needs Sony to help a competitor do just that -  compete with a compatible product that depends on the competitor's  intellectual protocol. Sony knows that they cannot justify charging MS  a fee that is larger than any other customer. Sony wants to make  Blu-Ray ubiquitous so they have shaved down fees as much as possible.  So MS must get the same deal as everyone else."

Blah Blah fking Blah. Sony, Sony, Sony etc. SONY is ONE chaired member of the Consortium. This guy needs to grow up (and read my licensing comments above and below wink.gif ) leo5150 has set the record straight ^^ as well.

"What would you  do now if you were Sony? The same thing MS has done over the years.  Make the technology intentionally incompatible, withhold information,  withhold support for design input to make it compatible, etc."

Tin-foil hats ON!
   "We'll  see over the next few months. Either MS will come out with a Blu-ray  player, or they will file suit to force Sony to share, in much the same  way many others sue MS for the same reasons on Windows compatibility.  It will be interesting to watch this unfold."

File suit LOL WTF for? they can license the product like everyone else. Hell, Toshiba may even join the Commitee once it returns to semiconductor work and from there it could even be elected to the board at some point. The only real requirements are working with the technology (and in it's semiconductor capacity Tosh could easily do this and develop BR componentry) and to pay the annual membership fee.

Meanwhile, microsoft will be left out in the cold a bit (in terms of what it is used to) but that is because their one hope of getting anything out of this dissappeared when Java was selected for implementing interactivity. They didn't have any patents to conrtib to the security side and aren't involved with the physical engineering so they weren't going to ever get royalties for the players without their software.

However, in that way, they were never /are no  worse off thany any other major OEM wanting to build and sell BR stuff.

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »

Couldn't they just strike a deal with say LG for their Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive and ship it right away? (assuming a add-on drive) They could support BD 1.0 with little work and then release updates on Xbox live for BD1.1 and 2.0.

I think they need to do something soon. Blu-Ray won, which means there is one less reason to wait to adapt the format. People will be looking at the PS3 as the best option (upgradeable, cheaper). So I hope they don't wait long.

HughDaHand

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »

With every one of this guys post he starts to sound more and more like a 18yr old kid living in his moms basement.  Just trying to pull one over on the internet.  He never gives any info that isnt widly known allready,  he is claiming to be a designer but now he sat in the board making the descison to support hd-dvd over bluray, I doubt it.

Maverick0984

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »

I already bought the HDDVD addon, rather not force a second ugly addition to lay on top of my 360.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »

This story from XboxFounder reeks of thypical anti-Microsoft banter and false speculation.   The guy is just an idiot.  Less then two days ago a story was run where the spokesman for the Blue Ray association said they'd welcome Microsoft and Toshiba to join.  Sony has little to gain by not letting Microsoft suport Blu-ray.
Pages: 1 [2]