xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xboxfounder on HD-DVD/Blu-ray for Xbox 360  (Read 229 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xboxfounder on HD-DVD/Blu-ray for Xbox 360
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 19 17:05 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From 8bitjoystick on seattlepi.nwsource.com:

One of my sources for Microsoft stuff, Xboxfounder has chimed in the comments on Digital Joystick on the developments of HD-DVD/Blu-ray for game systems.

"On to HD-DVD v Blu-ray. MS opposed Blu-ray because Sony supported it, plain and simple. I was in the room when the decision was made. But they hedged their bets by making the Media player a plug in. They could very quickly have a Blue Ray external plug in just like the HD, if Sony will cooperate."

"Therein lays the rub. MS, one of the worst co's to get info out of to make products compatible, needs Sony to help a competitor do just that - compete with a compatible product that depends on the competitor's intellectual protocol. Sony knows that they cannot justify charging MS a fee that is larger than any other customer. Sony wants to make Blu-Ray ubiquitous so they have shaved down fees as much as possible. So MS must get the same deal as everyone else."

"What would you do now if you were Sony? The same thing MS has done over the years. Make the technology intentionally incompatible, withhold information, withhold support for design input to make it compatible, etc."

"We'll see over the next few months. Either MS will come out with a Blu-ray player, or they will file suit to force Sony to share, in much the same way many others sue MS for the same reasons on Windows compatibility. It will be interesting to watch this unfold."

Full Story: seattlepi.nwsource.com

SuperStition

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »

Damn, can't wait to see that court battle.

GamerBR

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »

Sony thoughts:It's time to microsoft taste a little of its own poison. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/muhaha.gif)

This post has been edited by GamerBR: Feb 19 2008, 11:57 PM

SeNtReX

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

I don't get it.
Blu Ray isn't only sony, lol. Its developed by sony with philips and i don't know if there where others.

warmaster_670

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »

Sony shouldn't stoop to there level, just treat them like any other companie

sunn02

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »

then why did Frank Simonis, BDA chairman, welcome MS as well as Toshiba to join BDA if they wanted to. And also one of the articles on x-s.com says:

"Simonis dismissed the notion that Sony might be uncomfortable with Microsoft joining the Blu-ray camp. Some say that it's unlikely that Sony would want Microsoft to put a Blu-ray drive in the Xbox - because then it would be an even bigger threat to the PS3. But Simonis said that Sony would not be able to stop such a move."

This post has been edited by sunn02: Feb 20 2008, 12:06 AM

leo5150

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »

its not up to sony the person who wrote the article is a ASSCLOWN the  BLU-RAY group allready said they would welcome  them with open arms whether sony likes it or not  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)  EDIT i copied the part where the question about sony would try to stop it.   Simonis dismissed the notion that Sony might be uncomfortable with Microsoft joining the Blu-ray camp. Some say that it’s unlikely that Sony would want Microsoft to put a Blu-ray drive in the Xbox – because then it would be an even bigger threat to the PS3.But Simonis said that Sony would not be able to stop such a move.

This post has been edited by leo5150: Feb 20 2008, 12:17 AM

frieko

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Feb 19 2008, 11:41 PM) View Post

...or they will file suit to force Sony to share, in much the same way many others sue MS for the same reasons on Windows compatibility.

This is why it's sometimes helpful to have no soul wink.gif

Seina

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

It sounds like his source doesn't understand business. Microsoft would be a great customer for Sony. Xbox 360 is big and Xbox 360 pushing Blu Ray helps Blu Ray.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

Meh I think youl see them push Video Market Place and IPTV more than Blu-Ray. It will be a long time before you see Blu-Ray on the 360 I think, do you want them to rush an addon? With all the RROD issues i'd rather let them concentrate on that most (which they are thank god) than rushing out a Blu-Ray drive, perseids most households I know still collect DVD's.

88 Ecko Unltd 88

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Feb 19 2008, 06:16 PM) View Post

Meh I think youl see them push Video Market Place and IPTV more than Blu-Ray. It will be a long time before you see Blu-Ray on the 360 I think, do you want them to rush an addon? With all the RROD issues i'd rather let them concentrate on that most (which they are thank god) than rushing out a Blu-Ray drive, perseids most households I know still collect DVD's.

totaly agree with you bucko  cool.gif

davinator456

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »

This guy is a moron

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »

It's already been confirmed that it'd be impossible for Sony to stop there being a Blu-ray addon for the 360.

It really just boils down to MS wanting to make a Blu-ray addon or not. Recent articles have stated that MS likely already has one in the works and could potentially release it by May. I'd bet MS will release a Blu-ray player for the 360 but I'd bet it'll be sometime from August to December this year and not May as that's too soon to seem realistic.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

Once again I will say, Sony & MS had relations LONG before the PS and Xbox came about. This is no different. I'm betting that Sony will do what they did to the PS3 again... sacrifice it's advantage for the success of their new HD format. They threw it under the bus to guarantee blu-ray's success, and they'll surely make the deal with MS cuz a collaborative effort could push them well into the homes of many potential buyers.

Let's think about this though. If there are a big percentage of people buying PS3's for bluray capability, what will happen if the 360 starts playing bluray? After all, the ONLY reason I bought my PS3 was to have a bluray player. If the 360 played bluray before now, I probably would not own a PS3 at all.

This post has been edited by Elemino: Feb 20 2008, 03:03 AM

HackMy360

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »

I think it would be a smart move by MS to release a blu ray player for the 360 as it will leave 2 consoles on the market capable of playing blu ray movies with the added bonus of all the great games that are on the 360 so maybe more people will buy a 360 instead of a ps3 although they still have to fix the reliability problems and then it's all good
Pages: [1] 2