xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses  (Read 227 times)

atomiX

• Archived User
Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses
« on: February 19, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »

Finally...

mksoftware

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »

It will not be missed sleeping.gif

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »

Roll on the heavily discounted HD DVD movies!!. My 360 HD DVD add-on just arrived in the post today  biggrin.gif. Looking forward to some sweet bargains!.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »

I wonder how soon we can expect Universal movies to show up on Blu-Ray? I will need to hang on to this HD-DVD crap until Serenity comes out for Blu-Ray.

nightwulf28

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »

Well all I can say is one word.....eBay.  Funny thing is even if I unload my HD-DVD attachment and my 9 movies I will be lucky to get $100.   dry.gif Sad indeed.  I mainly bought that add on for Netflix so I am going to get a Blu Player but what kind and when are still up in the air.... blink.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »

This was what I was looking for, confirmation, not crappy new site posts (no offense to X-S but some of the articles to the build up of this were awfully written and shouldn't of been posted at all until this).

I'm glad I got both players, yes I lose out on one but at least my HD-DVD drive is USB. Hope to see some hacking on this drive soon. And I got my 5 free HD-DVDs and bought one movie, I would really like to get Heros and Matrix collection really cheap.

Least I can switch to my PS3 once supplies dry out of movies.

apexad

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(nightwulf28 @ Feb 19 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Well all I can say is one word.....eBay.  Funny thing is even if I unload my HD-DVD attachment and my 9 movies I will be lucky to get $100.   dry.gif Sad indeed.  I mainly bought that add on for Netflix so I am going to get a Blu Player but what kind and when are still up in the air.... blink.gif

You'll get much more than that.  Many people will be buying HD-DVD now since they know it will be CHEAP!  I would not sell if I were you.  Buy a Blu-Ray player, that's fine.  There is no reason to re-buy all your HD-DVDs though.  There is also no reason to start paying full price for Blu-Ray movies when the HD-DVDs will be sold at discount.

jaynigs

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(Landlocked @ Feb 19 2008, 08:05 PM) View Post

This sucks royally. People CHOSE VHS over Betamax. Consumers didn't choose here...the Blu camp bought the studios off and made the decisions for the consumer. Tsk, tsk.  mad.gif

Thats not true at all

These comments make me laugh

HD-DVD made the first move with the pay offs! and still failed! if HD-DVD was "consumer choice" they would not have needed to pay anyone off!
One thing people forget, this is an xbox website, the majority here support HD-DVD since they have the xbox 360 addon, its not a complete true reflection of consumers choice!

Blu Ray was winning and was still winning after HD-DVD camp bought out paramounts exclusivity!

So its ok for them to pay off paramount? but when sony follow suit, it's wrong?

slappynutz

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Landlocked @ Feb 19 2008, 08:05 PM) View Post

This sucks royally. People CHOSE VHS over Betamax. Consumers didn't choose here...the Blu camp bought the studios off and made the decisions for the consumer. Tsk, tsk.  mad.gif

I full 1080p video downloads are years off...but I hope Blu falls on its tush and that Indian 300 GB DVD format wins. Woohoo. I could finally clear the pr0n off my PC.

I love this awesome argument. Like somehow the 52+ weeks of Blu-Ray outselling HD DVD, back when there were more neutral studios and a much more even playing field, doesn't constitute the people choosing Blu-Ray. Or forgetting that HD DVD paid big bucks to Paramount and Dreamworks to switch despite the fact both were selling fewer HD DVDs than Blu-Rays.

Awesome sour grapes. I love these posts. "I chose the wrong side despite all the obvious indicators Blu-Ray would win and now I'm taking my toys and going home! And some mystery other format will beat Blu! So there!"

Awesome. Keep them coming.

afortaleza

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »

!! GAME OVER !!

Nutstool

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »

Well the fact is that HD DVD has sold more stand alone players. Blu-ray got their leg up because Sony forced the public to support their format by putting in the PS3 (very sad). Had it not been for the PS3, Blu-ray would have flunked big time, HD DVD is the superior format, it has better audio and visual quality than Blu-ray, Blu-ray only has the advantage in capacity.

It's another classic example of greedy corporations using unscrupulous tactics to get what they want. They're all the same, it doesn't matter if it's Sony or Microsoft. They don't give a toss about the consumer.

Andronicus

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Nutstool @ Feb 19 2008, 09:56 PM) View Post

Well the fact is that HD DVD has sold more stand alone players. Blu-ray got their leg up because Sony forced the public to support their format by putting in the PS3 (very sad). Had it not been for the PS3, Blu-ray would have flunked big time, HD DVD is the superior format, it has better audio and visual quality than Blu-ray, Blu-ray only has the advantage in capacity.

Way off base there pal.  Sony putting blue ray in the PS3 is called "Going All In".  MS was not willing to do that, and they lost.  You are the first person I have ever heard claim HD is better.  All the profesional reviewers state that there is no preseptible difference, so capacity wins.  You lost, get over it.

nightwulf28

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(Nutstool @ Feb 19 2008, 02:56 PM) View Post

It's another classic example of greedy corporations using unscrupulous tactics to get what they want. They're all the same, it doesn't matter if it's Sony or Microsoft. They don't give a toss about the consumer.

I am an xbox fan tried and true but if you say something then make sure you know what you are saying.  First, there is no visual difference in terms of video quality at this point for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.  At one point I would have agreed but with the newer profiles and better decoding its now tomato / tomato as they say.   Blu Ray also has the superior Audio format not to mention more storage (although not being used yet).   biggrin.gif

nightwulf28

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Andronicus @ Feb 19 2008, 03:24 PM) View Post

Way off base there pal.  Sony putting blue ray in the PS3 is called "Going All In".  MS was not willing to do that, and they lost.  You are the first person I have ever heard claim HD is better.  All the profesional reviewers state that there is no preseptible difference, so capacity wins.  You lost, get over it.

You are right and Blu has better Audio as well.  I have an HD-DVD player and I love it but I won't be keeping much longer...

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Feb 19 2008, 11:54 AM) View Post

Roll on the heavily discounted HD DVD movies!!. My 360 HD DVD add-on just arrived in the post today  biggrin.gif. Looking forward to some sweet bargains!.

beerchug.gif

Now... Is it possible for Microsoft to release a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo format drive in the future?
Pages: [1] 2