xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Blu-ray Xbox 360 Planned By Microsoft as Early as May?  (Read 590 times)

chrislynch

• Archived User
Blu-ray Xbox 360 Planned By Microsoft as Early as May?
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(hawkolugy @ Mar 20 2008, 03:22 AM) View Post

Actually it does allow 1080p over component but I meant to say non-digital inputs like component or VGA will the Blu drive allow 1080p over VGA like the HD DVD?

It should.  We can only be speculative at this point.

Based on the HD-DVD and Blu-ray specs, in order to get 1080p display, the content should require HDCP.  Component does *not* have enough bandwidth to support 1080p AND HDCP.  VGA, being an analog technology, still has the ability to display 1080p resolutions and has enough capacity (barely) to allow HDCP.  HDMI is the proper way to go for full 1080p and HDCP support.  Of course, DVI supports HDCP, if the two devices (the source playing the content, and the monitor/TV) support HDCP over DVI.

I personally do not want Microsoft to add an internal Blu-ray drive to the 360.  If anyone here as even looked at what developers have to do in order to get their games onto a Blu-ray disk, you wouldn't want them to either.  An external Blu-ray drive I would accept with the current generation of the 360.  If Microsoft wants to add a vastly improved Blu-ray drive into the Xbox 720, or whatever it's going to be called, I welcome it.  Games are getting larger, and I don't want another game like Lost Oddessy (sp?) to contain 4 dDVD's just for the game.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]