xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wal-Mart to Go Blu-ray Exclusive  (Read 173 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Wal-Mart to Go Blu-ray Exclusive
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 15 13:43 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From highdefdigest.com:

The nation's top retailer will phase out its HD DVD support by early summer.
That's the official word this morning from Wal-Mart, first announced on the company's gadget blog, CheckOut.com.

According to Wal-Mart execs, the company will begin emphasizing Blu-ray in both brick-and-mortar stores and online over the next thirty days, with plans to completely phase out HD DVD movie and hardware sales by June 2008. The company will continue to sell DVDs and standard-definition hardware.

Today's announcement from the retailer comes on the heels of news earlier this week that both Netflix and Best Buy had endorsed Blu-ray.

Full Story: highdefdigest.com

R-Dawggy Dawg

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »

I feel sorry for anyone thinking that HD-DVD will make any comeback in the movie industry.
Although I feel strongly that it will be incorporated as the next best recordable media as it has been and probably always will be cheaper to manufacture.

Farewell, HD-DVD. Your 360 player will be sadly missed, and plenty of people will be surely pissed.

slipstream

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »

yah, you know your in trouble when WalMart stops selling... But hey, all HD-DVD owners can look forward to a nice fire-sale soon smile.gif

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(slipstream @ Feb 15 2008, 03:32 PM) *

yah, you know your in trouble when WalMart stops selling... But hey, all HD-DVD owners can look forward to a nice fire-sale soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I know that's what I'm looking forward to.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(slipstream @ Feb 15 2008, 08:32 PM) View Post

yah, you know your in trouble when WalMart stops selling... But hey, all HD-DVD owners can look forward to a nice fire-sale soon smile.gif

Yup and I'm sure Wal-Mart will be kicking them selves in the foot down the line for doing this down the road when Sony/Blu-Ray mess up the format, I still don't like this Profile idea.

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »

looks like hd-dvd is getting closer and closer to dying each day... at the rate i been hearing stuff lately (in the last few months or so) it's starting to seem like blu-ray is the clear winner... has high percentage of studio support and now bestbuy and wal-mart are pretty much ditching hd-dvd etc etc.

so based on what im hearing/seeing ... hd-dvd is pretty much dead.

as of today it's pretty easy to select a high def player... and that would be blu-ray.

p.s. me personally, im not buying anything til i get a HDTV first and then prices come down on blu-ray players AND we get fairly cheap blu-ray burners with cheap burnable discs. wink.gif (in other words once it's mainstream and pretty cheap sorta like dvd was in 2005 ish with it's cheap burners and cheap discs) ... until then it's all about the DVD format for backing up data and XviD's and x264 format for high def stuff wink.gif

stezo2k

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »

Another nail in the coffin for hd-dvd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) i dont regret buying my player, i'd rather buy a dead format than support sony. it'll be a good long time before i buy a bd player if any

rezonat0r

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(R-Dawggy Dawg @ Feb 15 2008, 08:13 PM) View Post

Although I feel strongly that it will be incorporated as the next best recordable media as it has been and probably always will be cheaper to manufacture.

Your feelings would be incorrect.

Blu-ray burners are already in abundance and cheaper than HD-DVD burners. And blu-ray discs are already cheaper to produce than HD-DVD because of economies of scale.  HD-DVD really has nothing going for it.  Nada.

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »

yes, the nails in the coffin are certainly getting louder and more plentiful for HD DVD.

i could and have not cared less about either format overall as i am patiently awaiting much improved HD distribution methods for entertainment media besides optical discs...and for prices that make sense as well...

eldritch2k4

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(stezo2k @ Feb 15 2008, 04:04 PM) *

Another nail in the coffin for hd-dvd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) i dont regret buying my player, i'd rather buy a dead format than support sony. it'll be a good long time before i buy a bd player if any

You're kidding, right?

That is freaking ridiculous because Sony is one of 250 companies that are partnered in Blu-Ray. Seriously, Blu-ray is (primarily) made of Apple Inc., Dell Inc., Hewlett-Packard Company, Hitachi, Ltd., LG Electronics, Mitsubishi Electric, Panasonic (Matsushita Electric), Pioneer Corporation, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp Corporation, Sony Corporation, Sun Microsystems, TDK Corporation, Thomson SA,     Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, and Warner Home Video Inc. Go look around your house. I can almost guarantee that you support almost all of the companies that are listed there.

Way to shoot yourself in the foot, pal. "Hurr, I'm going to fore go watching any new movie in HD because the format that everything is being released in is ~2%* backed by Sony." This is, for lack of a better term, retarded. blatant fanboyism on either side is just stupid. I don't know, grow up or something. Sorry that BD has region protection and doesn't really have crappy web-enabled content, but really, get over it.

For the record, I own both an HD-DVD addon for my 360 and a PS3.

*Statistic is based on annual dues and derived: $50,000 / [(# of Board members * $50,000) + (# of Contributors * $20,000) + (# of Members * $3,000)]

Agent ME

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »

So... what is driving all these companies dropping HD-DVD? Did Blu-ray pay off so many companies? Did HD-DVD's backers fail horribly to advertise or support it?

ironopolis

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »

Jesus man how many nails does this coffin have?

I'm getting sick to death of this crap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »

everyone should take note, consumers/end users don't make decision...companies do  dry.gif

eldritch2k4

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(redwolf @ Feb 15 2008, 05:57 PM) *

everyone should take note, consumers/end users don't make decision...companies do  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

You say that like it's news. Of course the consumers don't make the decisions, the people who have to pay to produce the things make the decisions. The consumer doesn't get a chance to consume anything unless someone fronts the money to produce it. PRODUCERS decide what makes it to market. Welcome to Capitalism, we're serving punch and pie over there, though you probably won't want it since we decided the flavors and not you.

joemm210

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

Its over now, but its going to be another 3 years before blu-ray gets down to the prices hd dvd were at, so did blu-ray really win? by the time blu-ray gets down to a price I would like I think my internet connection speed will have increased enough to download HD movies.

Mine is already at 10mbits so I can already download a 8GB HD movie in around 2.2 hours and I don't notice the difference between these 8GB compressed HD movies and blu-ray. I am guessing in 3 years time I can get at least a 20mbit connection so around an hour isn't that long to wait for a hd movie and we should have 3TB hard drives by that time.
Pages: [1] 2