xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say  (Read 140 times)

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 12:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(badass74 @ Feb 15 2008, 08:52 AM) View Post

Noooooo, even though I got a ps3 I wanted hd-dvd to win. The people didn't chose the winner big industry did. HDi belongs to Microsoft, I hope if they do license it to sony they make them pay big. mad.gif

Actually, we should hope that if MS does license HDi, that they won't make it too expensive. Who do you think is going to pay for it in the end? The consumer.

To the same avail, I have a PS3 and liked HD-DVD better. Blu-ray is just a tad ahead of it's time. HD-DVD was built off DVD principles, and is a much better technology as it's based off a technology we've already been refining for years. Blu-ray was designed from scratch as a new format, so it will (naturally) be a while before Blu-ray is there. Spec-wise, however, Blu-ray actually has a lot of potential, and in a few years there'll be all kinds of suprises we'll have seen whether for better or for worse.

tummybanana

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »

so the future of movies it seems is in the hands of $ony, it makes my skin crawl...
bd may have more room but they have done nothing with it, reminds me of when dvd first hit the market saying it could do so much more (hence digital versatile disc), nothing was done to take advantage of that.

Its idiots like micheal bay making bogus claims of "bd has better pq" that has helped blur the real picture of whats going on between both formats, and the bda's deep pockets ala the warner betrayal, for more google the transfer details for blade runner on both formats.

the only thing that is very clear is that $ony were prepared to do anything to ensure that bd survived so as to justify the ps3's very existance, at the expense of their customers by issuing these profiles, not evey punter is tech savvy, and if were one and found i had a player that couldnt access parts of the discs features id be livid.

I cant help but wonder why most purple people say they prefer hd dvd out of the pair, thats kinda telling in its own right.

HD DVD gave us what we wanted right from the word go, no regon coding, no potentially confusing profiles and in overall view an outstanding picture at a wallet friendly price, this is something that bd still has yet to do.

Am i going to switch over?......i really dont want to reward $ony for being probably one of the worst companies ive ever had to deal with, nor for there shitty tactics so its safe to say i wont be buying anything from them........i wont be switching anytime soon as i have my doubts still about bd.

This format war wasnt won, it was bought

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 02:17:00 AM »

You have to be careful with your sources.  Sites such as thehollywoodreporter, the digital bits, ect. have long been known for their more than biased articles towards Blu-Ray.  Not saying it isn't true but I am saying that it's credibility is definitely questionable.

jdrsega

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 04:35:00 AM »

So Why If Warner Is So Exclusive To Blu Ray Why Did They Reply With This Statement?

Seems Like The Petition Work Or Wal-Marts That Keep Having Sold out Stock On HD-DVD's Players

Will Warner Bros. re-stock old HD DVDs? We asked them

What's New
By Henning Molbaek
FIRST ONLINE Feb 14, 2008

As you all know Warner Bros. has decided to release new titles in the Blu-ray format only after May 31st.

Some HD DVD owners have probably asked themselves, Can I buy the already-released 140+ Warner titles on HD DVD after May 31st? We asked Warner Bros.

"If there is product available in HD DVD and there is a request from a retailer, we will provide," said Ronnee Sass, Vice President - Publicity & Promotion.

So, this actually means that they will re-stock after May 31st if the demand is there. However, Ronnee made it clear that the general rule is that titles will be out in SD and BD only after May 31st, adding, "There may be isolated instances that an HD DVD title will be created, but as a general rule our titles will be out in SD and BD only after May 31."

http://www.dvdtown.c...asked-them/5234

Arch0n

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(HughDaHand @ Feb 15 2008, 08:28 AM) View Post
I hope this news is for real.  I'm no big bluray fan but i just want this format war to be over.

Same. I kinda wanted HD DVD to win as I think ultimately it was less proprietry and good for the consumer but prices will drop anyway with market demand so  it won't really matter a lot in a few years.
Once the standard it finalised i will finally pick up a high def player.  Its not gona be a Sony made player tho.  I have found there ODD tohave weak laser. *thinks back to his ps1 that had to be upside done to play, and the 3 ps2's that got disk read errors*.   Well i might end up with the sony made bluray plarer that happens to play gaes,  errmmm.. i mean a ps3.

Testify!

Sony consumer gear is cheap crap. The only decent AV product I can recall sold to that channel has been the Bravia X series TVs and they weren't cheap compared to competitors w/ similar quality. like you say, seems like a good reason for getting a PS3 laugh.gif

DMAddict

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »

and now Wal-Mart is dropping HD-DVD. http://gizmodo.com/3...clusive-in-june
The wheels have pretty much fallen off the bus.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »

LoL just cause someone didn't return their calls means the format is dead, lmao what are these reports coming to?

I would guess some major announcement would be happening, it would just be a PR statement if they were dropping it not a "major announcement".

I think Internet journalism is starting to hit an all time low, I love how "sources say" is to non returned phone calls I can't believe it  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(Arch0n @ Feb 15 2008, 02:45 PM) View Post

Same. I kinda wanted HD DVD to win as I think ultimately it was less proprietry and good for the consumer but prices will drop anyway with market demand so  it won't really matter a lot in a few years.
Testify!

Sony consumer gear is cheap crap. The only decent AV product I can recall sold to that channel has been the Bravia X series TVs and they weren't cheap compared to competitors w/ similar quality.

You are misinformed or inexperienced in  multiple dealings with Sony AV equipment then if that is all you can recall.
I agree it's not the cheapest but it certainly is not crap. Right through from the old KV series to the present sets the brand has proved reliable and an excellent performer.  Their security and medical divisions produce some of the finest monitoring equipment anywhere.
This format war wasn't won, it was bought

Just as Toshiba attempted to buy favours previously.
I don't know if the rumour has any substance but there is no ignoring what is happening. It just seems many people can't swallow the pill.
Early adopters are going to be pissed when they find out that new BluRay disc they bought won't access all the special features on the disc.

Early adopters won't care less in the mainstream. The machine didn't have access when they bought it so why would they want that feature now? Early adopters in general know the risks and also usually are accepting that they will pay more for a product in the beginning of it's life cycle. Those that want the extra features will simply move up to a different profile player. Just like with the first VHS machines which didn't have multiple timer event features or Videoplus etc. It is the way  consumer electronics work
people that specifically required extra features access with their disc viewing will not have bought BR to start with

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »

funny, i would have thought that the HD-DVD camp would have put up more of a fight, but i guess it would be easier to save the huge losses than just extend the battle.

walterg74

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 15 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

Just as Toshiba attempted to buy favours previously.
I don't know if the rumour has any substance but there is no ignoring what is happening. It just seems many people can't swallow the pill.

The fact that toshiba also put some money in DOES NOT in any way have any significance in the fact that the war (if it's at an end already) was won by the camp that put out more money and NOT the one with better techology...  cool.gif

Evillvi

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »

well i for one wont be watching any new hi-def releases anymore. i'll just pick up what i can in hd-dvd now and just deal with sd dvd. i will never EVER buy anything from sony. they have the worst products ever created. there is no such thing as "quality control" at sony. so as long as regular dvd's are still made, thats all i'll buy. i absolutely refuse to support sony and blue-ray.
Pages: 1 [2]