xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Video Thumbnails On Dashboard  (Read 91 times)

chrislynch

• Archived User
Video Thumbnails On Dashboard
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(fatila @ Feb 12 2008, 03:59 PM) View Post

Hi, trying to find a good media server solution in a server 2008 test environment. I've tried a lot of media servers, with mixed results. Currently using winamp remote (was a rush job to fix media, will try proper orb later).

One thing in common all of these media servers share is that none of them have enabled me to see video thumbnails as I always could in wmc. I have enabled thumbnails in explorer to no avail, is there something obvious I am missing? Or is this a feature the media software has to support.

Edit: I've barely used the dashboard, always used wmc. Someone is telling me that nothing gives the dashboard thumbnails, if so that is a right pain...

This is a feature of Windows Media Player 11.  You most likely have a Windows Home Server appliance, and you are looking for thumbnail support.  Unless Microsoft releases a version of WMP for Home Server, you are pretty much out of luck.  Same with WMC.

I am not sold on Home Server as the source for streaming, or for any sort of Media Center capabilities.  Microsoft may add WMC or WMP functionality to Home Server.  But, not any time soon from what I know about upcoming releases.

fatila

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »

Well no as I said, this is on server 2008. Twonkymedia seems to be the best software I have tried so far as it works every time, server 2008 has wmp11 but sharing capabilities are disabled.

chrislynch

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(fatila @ Feb 13 2008, 07:25 PM) View Post

Well no as I said, this is on server 2008. Twonkymedia seems to be the best software I have tried so far as it works every time, server 2008 has wmp11 but sharing capabilities are disabled.

Got it.  I thought you miss-typed, and were actually referring to Windows Home Server, as 2008 just recently RTM'd.

I have not tested any of Windows Server 2008 media streaming capabilities, so I cannot answer your question.