xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hd Dvd Not Displaying On Entire Screen Of My Hdtv  (Read 69 times)

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
Hd Dvd Not Displaying On Entire Screen Of My Hdtv
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(JadaKOD @ Feb 8 2008, 12:50 PM) View Post

Hey all,

I have a Samsung 32inch LCD Tv.  native output is 720p I believe.  Model is the LN-T3242hx.

I have a new xbox connected Via HDMI.  I have my output on the xbox set to 1080i.

When I view King King it didn't take up the entire screen of the television?  I thought that since it's an all digital connection it would atleast come in full screen?  Am I wrong about this? does it have something with the TV not being FULL 1080P?  becuase I think I'll flip a shit if that's the case... Im hoping it is something on my end I could fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Not positive that's it, but it could be the aspect ratio of King Kong (I assume that's what you meant by "King King"). If you have another movie, try popping that one in and see if it fills the screen. Only a few of mine have the bars, but most do fill my screen.

You are just getting small black bars only on the top and bottom right? Nothing on the sides?

I do hate how not all movies fill the screen though. On my projector it's not much of a problem cause I only lose about 3-4 inches off the top and bottom of a 5 foot tall screen, but on my 26" HDTV losing 1-2 inches off the top and botttom of a 13" (about) tall screen isn't fun.

SphtKr76

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »

Its called aspect ratio. King Kong probably has a 2.35:1 ratio which will leave fairly large bars top and bottom, it it were to fill the entire screen you would be cutting off the sides.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »

It's more than just King Kong. The aspect ratios of movies are often different to the aspect ratio of our TV sets.
The resolution being 1080i or 1080p makes no difference to the aspect ratio.
 Your Samsung is capable of outputting 1080i by the way. The source is what is labelled with a certain native output.

unlawfullactions

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »

are there black bars on the top and bottom of the video?    not all movies use the same aspect ratio.  some will fill the entire screen, and some will not. look up some info on aspect ratios for more info

JadaKOD

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »

wow thanks for all your help guys!

I just picked up a scanner darkly and it was the ratio 1:85 and it filled up the entire screen... and beautifully I must say.  Very impressed with the picture quality.