xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Streaming Problems  (Read 126 times)

anencasedmonument

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« on: January 31, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »

Ok, first off, I would like to say, great site.  I've had an account for a while here but this is my first post.  I know you all are probably getting tired of hearing about the same problem over and over, but I've yet to see a solution that works for me.

So, here is my problem.  My friend brought his 360 over to my house in December.  I found out that you could stream music, photos, and videos to your 360 from your pc on a network.  Heres how I had it hooked up.
360>>>Ethernet Cord>>>SMC Cable Modem>>>USB Cord>>>PC.  It worked flawlessly.  I used the program Tversity.  I just got my 360 last Friday, and hooked it up exactly the same way.  It doesn't work.  So, how would I go about fixing this problem?

System Specifications (If Relevant):
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

AMD Sempron™ Processor
3100+
1.81 GHz, 480 MB of RAM

Here is a link to my cable modem.  http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewPro...19&pid=1087

Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by anencasedmonument: Feb 1 2008, 08:00 AM

chrislynch

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »

Most likely, you are connecting both your PC and Xbox 360 directly to your ISP.  Unless your ISP can allow multiple nodes directly connected, you are not going to get this to work without a firewall/NAT device.  Here is a pretty good explanation on how to do this.

If your PC has a NIC (which it should), then you can enable the built-in Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) feature of Windows XP with your Xbox 360.  Of course, you would need to leave your PC on all of the time for your Xbox to access Live.

This post has been edited by chrislynch: Feb 1 2008, 08:13 AM

anencasedmonument

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »

Thanks for the help.

I'm having trouble understanding everything that you are saying.

I downloaded, installed, and setup NAT32 software, and it did not work.

I don't think you fully understand how I have my internet setup, So I have included a diagram.  (IMG:http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/StephenNipper/Network.jpg)

Many thanks, again.

chrislynch

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »

Your Xbox would need to be *directly* connected to your PC via the Ethernet cable.  If this still does not work, I highly suggest you go and purchase a broadband router/firewall.  Netgear, D-Link, Linksys all make devices that will work.  I would also *highly* suggest you look at the Xbox Live connectivity help section, which will also guide you through what you need to do.  

If you do opt to purchase a broadband router/firewall, take a first look at what Microsoft supports.  If you can afford it, I would highly suggest you look at the D-Link Gamerlounge line of products.  I have the GDL-4100, and couldn't be happier with it.

anencasedmonument

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

Thanks for all your help!

When I downloaded the software, I did connect my Xbox 360 ethernet cord directly to the computer.  That did not work.

I do not have the money right now, but I will probably end up buying one of those broadband routers you mentioned.

What I dont understand, is that it worked perfectly with my friends 360 a month ago, and nothing has been changed, the setup is exactly the same.  I am able to access Xbox Live, but I just cant stream anything.

f1geezer

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »

When you say it doesn't work, what exactly do you mean ?

Xbox can't see the PC ?  In which case run the network checks in the dash.
 Xbox sees PC but not Tversity ?  Problem with Tversity server, try stopping and then restarting the service and then rebooting xbox
 xbox sees tversity but no media ?  Can you navigate the media using your browser ?

Something else ?  Post details.

chrislynch

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(anencasedmonument @ Feb 1 2008, 12:36 PM) *

Thanks for all your help!

When I downloaded the software, I did connect my Xbox 360 ethernet cord directly to the computer.  That did not work.

I do not have the money right now, but I will probably end up buying one of those broadband routers you mentioned.

What I dont understand, is that it worked perfectly with my friends 360 a month ago, and nothing has been changed, the setup is exactly the same.  I am able to access Xbox Live, but I just cant stream anything.

Did you go into WMP11, enable Media Sharing, and verify that your local firewall has Windows Media Sharing allowed?  The Xbox.com support link outlines how you need to setup your network to stream content.  I would advise you to start there, and review it again.  You obviously missed something.

f1geezer

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 04:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Feb 2 2008, 12:38 AM) *

Did you go into WMP11, enable Media Sharing, and verify that your local firewall has Windows Media Sharing allowed?  The Xbox.com support link outlines how you need to setup your network to stream content.  I would advise you to start there, and review it again.  You obviously missed something.

If you are using Tversity  (you said you were), you have to disable media sharing in WMP11.  You can just deny the 360 and still share to other devices or you could change the port that tversity uses (it conflicts with WMP11) but then you'll have to allow it in the firewall etc.

anencasedmonument

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »

Ok, here goes.

I am not using WMP11, I am just using Tversity.  Even when I go into WMP11, it does not recognize the Xbox 360.

When I had my friends 360 working, I had ZoneAlarm installed on my PC.  I have since unistalled it.

I have tried to use the ICS method but, when I get to the Local Area Connection Properties, its gives me this.

(IMG:http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/StephenNipper/Lac2.jpg)

Not this.

(IMG:http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/StephenNipper/ICS_02.jpg)

Thanks.

chrislynch

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(anencasedmonument @ Feb 2 2008, 11:53 AM) *

Ok, here goes.

I am not using WMP11, I am just using Tversity.  Even when I go into WMP11, it does not recognize the Xbox 360.

When I had my friends 360 working, I had ZoneAlarm installed on my PC.  I have since unistalled it.

I have tried to use the ICS method but, when I get to the Local Area Connection Properties, its gives me this.

[image removed]
Not this.
[image removed]
Thanks.

ZoneAlarm most likely disabled ICS/Windows Firewall.

Check out these links to Microsoft's Support site:

Link 1

Link 2

This post has been edited by chrislynch: Feb 3 2008, 06:52 AM

anencasedmonument

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »

I tried reinstalling Zonealarm, but it didnt help.  When I run the Media Connection Test on the 360, it gets to the Part that says PC Selected and fails.  It gives me this error status report:  

W: 0000 - 000B
X:  0000 - F001
Y:  0000 - 0000
Z:  8000 - 4005

Just wondering if that means anything.

This post has been edited by anencasedmonument: Feb 4 2008, 06:04 AM

anencasedmonument

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »

Anyone know of anything else I can try?  I've tried everything here.

Thanks.

PS: What would you think about reformatting my hard-drive?  Or about installing windows on another partition?  I have a blank one.

jacanuck

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »

Some ISP's bind MAC addresses to ports on the cable modem.  If your friend's 360 was plugged into the ethernet port of the cablemodem, the MAC address of the network card in your friends 360 would bound to the IP given out by your ISP.  I've seen some cases, where the customer had to call into their ISP to let them know they had a new computer/device they were attaching, to have the binds released.

Ideally though, you really should be using a broadband router.  A residential broadband router from Linksys or D-link is specifically designed to do exactly what you're trying to accomplish, and provides the following additional benefits:
  1. Hardware firewall protection
  2. DHCP server
  3. Embedded high speed switch, capable of much higher speeds across the backplane then the combination of interfaces on your cable modem.  This will greatly improve file copys across the network, and streaming.
  4. Most broadband routers include wireless access points.  This will be useful should you ever have a wireless device in the future (PS3, laptop, or another computer device with a wireless network card).

anencasedmonument

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »

Thanks.
Do you think I could just type in the settings in my 360 manually, and type in the mac address of my modem, because there is a place to put mac address.

Thanks again.

anencasedmonument

• Archived User
Streaming Problems
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »

Oh yeah, why can I still get on Xbox Live and on the internet on my PC at the same time, using the same configuration?
Pages: [1] 2