xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Tutorial: Re-encode Hd-dvd/bluray (mkv Source) To Wvc1  (Read 1284 times)

imaphaggit

• Archived User
Tutorial: Re-encode Hd-dvd/bluray (mkv Source) To Wvc1
« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »

I just read Chris's tutorial on using the ffdshow Tryouts and in his tutorial in states it needs a ffdshow.reg to fix the problems with the 5min and 42 sec glitch, where can I download that reg file? Most of the links in this forum are broken. Thanks.

stafngrimr

• Archived User
« Reply #286 on: December 30, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »

I had been trying to use impin206 method for a while and finally gave up on his method with avisynth. If you look at his post I have put up an explanation for what is going on with avisynth on vista 64, its stickied so it should not be hard to find.

This post should be stickied as well but isn't.  mad.gif

My solution was similar to chrislynch (for different reasons of course. I couldn't get the encode to finish!)and was to use a different container, in my case I tried using an m2ts container. This forces tmpgenc to use the internal mainconcept standard decoder (bitrate limited to 20mbps, uses dx9). At any rate it was after I came to this conclusion that I came across the chrislynch post and saw he was putting them into .mov containers. The problem I see here is that when I bring up tmpgenc in process explorer from microsoft(http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx) it shows it is using the internal mainconcept decoder for decoding .mov files. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that both chrislynch and impin602 are suggesting you purchase coreavc. In my case, I can't get coreavc to work at all with avisynth and when using the chrislynch method coreavc is not used.

But I spent 15 bucks for the software anyhow.  blink.gif

Now the mainconcept decoder uses about 30% of my cpu when decoding avc. Coreavc uses about 60% of my cpu when decoding avc. I am running a dual cpu 3.4 ghz workstation. As you can see the mainconcept decoder uses less cpu resource. This should reduce encoding times due to the fact that the cpu is spinning less cycles on decoding and giving more cpu to encoding.

I am working on a way to get the cyberlink decoder to work with purevideo as the decoder, so far I am having the same kind of luck I did with avisyth but am making progress. This should decrease the decode cpu cycles to about 3% if I can get it working. I'll probably post something up if there is any demand.

Dp1983

• Archived User
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2009, 02:53:00 AM »

Chris I just wanted to thank you so much for your guide. I believe your guide covers the best method of encoding with mkv sources in the best possible way. It filled me in on little obscurities that allowed me to figure out what was wrong with my codec setup on my system. Now that I have my codecs setup right and the settings the way you recommended I cut my encode times in half, got rid of motion jitter/judder or whatever, and now thmpgenc accepts 5.1 sources of all types and with no sync problems. All thanks to you.

x491844

• Archived User
« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »

thanks for this. very helpful!

fatvince

• Archived User
« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »

Hi, the link to the tutorial is no longer active.

I'm not so much interested in streaming, just converting HD .mkv files to a format readable by the xbox360 in HD .. is there an idiot-proof program for this?  smile.gif

thanks!

G19

• Archived User
« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(fatvince @ Mar 28 2009, 01:22 PM) View Post

Hi, the link to the tutorial is no longer active.

I'm not so much interested in streaming, just converting HD .mkv files to a format readable by the xbox360 in HD .. is there an idiot-proof program for this?  smile.gif

thanks!

Use XenonMKV to convert to mp4 with 2ch stereo. There is a 4GB size limit on mp4 so anything larger will be split by XenonMKV. Also this method doesn't re-encode the video portion, just the audio, so it can take literally minutes to convert an MKV.

Or, you could try using Expression encoder which I find to be quicker than TMPGEnc and produces smoother/crisper output. Try this thread, and more specifically, this post. Using the Video Encoder front-end you only need a couple of clicks to convert to WMV. Advantages include unlimited file size, and 5.1 audio if you have the setup for it. The only downside is if you have a weak PC then it can take many many hours to convert.

katz

• Archived User
« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »

would anyone be kind enough to post chrislynch tutorial? the link is dead in the OP.

mickey797

• Archived User
« Reply #292 on: October 07, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »

UPDATE

I just wanted to issue a major update to Chrislynch's method for anyone still using this method to create the most astounding quality WMV-HD's with 6 Channel Surround Sound and creating a library of high definition movies on their External Drives:

When this method was intially released to public, there was a critical "stutter" issue where the video would "jump" every so often. To resolve the problem, an additional step was added wherein the h.264 video was Extracted from the MKV and repackaged into MOV, and thereafter in TMPGEnc Xpress, the MOV was used as source video and the original MKV as source audio.

As it appears, in one of the recent Updates to TMPGEnc Xpress, this "stutter" problem has been completely eliminated and this Re-Packaging into MOV step can be completely eliminated from this process. You no longer need the YAMB, MP4Box for this anymore.

The process is much simpler now, and I can confirm it works on the latest TMPGEnc Xpress 4.7.3.292

Follow the rest of the procedure as usual, for the exception that you can simply load your MKV as the source. TMPGEnc Xpress will pick up the audio automatically from the MKV. You do not need to change the FPS anywhere. Just make sure your Source FPS matches your Target FPS. Encode the MKV directly to WMV-HD. No need for extracting & re-packaging video into MOV. I have encoded over 20 high definition MKV's using this new simpler method without fault!!

Also, I will be taking Chrislynch's guide and modifying it slightly to post the simpler method, but for anyone still looking for the guide, you can get it here: Download Guide

Question? Shoot ....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by mickey797: Oct 7 2009, 05:49 PM

Flyinghumanoid

• Archived User
« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2020, 08:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(mickey797 @ Oct 7 2009, 12:48 PM) *

UPDATE

I just wanted to issue a major update to Chrislynch's method for anyone still using this method to create the most astounding quality WMV-HD's with 6 Channel Surround Sound and creating a library of high definition movies on their External Drives:

When this method was intially released to public, there was a critical "stutter" issue where the video would "jump" every so often. To resolve the problem, an additional step was added wherein the h.264 video was Extracted from the MKV and repackaged into MOV, and thereafter in TMPGEnc Xpress, the MOV was used as source video and the original MKV as source audio.

As it appears, in one of the recent Updates to TMPGEnc Xpress, this "stutter" problem has been completely eliminated and this Re-Packaging into MOV step can be completely eliminated from this process. You no longer need the YAMB, MP4Box for this anymore.

The process is much simpler now, and I can confirm it works on the latest TMPGEnc Xpress 4.7.3.292

Follow the rest of the procedure as usual, for the exception that you can simply load your MKV as the source. TMPGEnc Xpress will pick up the audio automatically from the MKV. You do not need to change the FPS anywhere. Just make sure your Source FPS matches your Target FPS. Encode the MKV directly to WMV-HD. No need for extracting & re-packaging video into MOV. I have encoded over 20 high definition MKV's using this new simpler method without fault!!

Also, I will be taking Chrislynch's guide and modifying it slightly to post the simpler method, but for anyone still looking for the guide, you can get it here: Download Guide

Question? Shoot ....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Works great. I've done several movies so far with no problems. The only setting I have to change the most is the pixel height to match the source. Also if anyone has problems running this version of TMPGEnc Xpress in Vista, I found that it ends up working if setting the compatibility mode to run on XP.

katz

• Archived User
« Reply #294 on: February 03, 2020, 08:57:00 PM »

does it work ok in Win 7  ?

reddragon72

• Archived User
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »

does anyone have the subtitles.cpl file? I lost all my stuff on a USB key, but I have everything back accept the cpl file which is nowhere to be found.

thanks

Adam19

• Archived User
« Reply #296 on: May 02, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(mickey797 @ Oct 7 2009, 05:48 PM) View Post

UPDATE

Question? Shoot ....

smile.gif

Cheers for letting us know this, I have recently started converting MKV's to WMVHD's again now that TMPGENC Xpress is now compatable with Windows 7.  In the past on my Vista setup I used to convert the movies by creating the AVS script of the MKV and then using MakeAVIS to create a AVI pointing to that AVS file, in the past I did find that the first 5 minutes of video would stutter and this is well documented in previous posts, particularly in impimpins tutorial and I don't think anyone ever found a fix.

I ended up bearing with it and making do, and since reading that TMPGENC Xpress now resolved most issues with MKV files, I decided to give it ago, and now I have exactly the same problems again! even using my old method, or any that I can find.

I've tried running the encodes on different hardware, running the videos off different machines onto the Xbox and it is always choppy at the start.  But the strange thing is, playing the WMVHD directly on the computer in Windows Media Player seems fine and I cant really see the choppiness, its as soon as you check it out on the Xbox (I've tried multiple Xbox's too!)

Any ideas as I'm really starting to pull my teeth out.

Using latest TMPGENC Xpress with CoreAVC and AC3Filter.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]