xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Tutorial: Re-encode Hd-dvd/bluray (mkv Source) To Wvc1  (Read 1283 times)

dakidark

• Archived User
Tutorial: Re-encode Hd-dvd/bluray (mkv Source) To Wvc1
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »

I noticed the exact same thing on all of my encodes. Between 30-40 second intervals and it stutters (video only) very briefly. It's actually hard to notice, but once you know it's there it drives you crazy. BTW, AWESOME guide Chris, thanks for the help. In response to your request for more info, I've seen this issue on the PC and on the xbox, my xbox is wired, and I've also had the same issue when I actually connect the harddrive it's on (HFS+) directly to the xbox. It still stutters. I've had it do that on every video I've encoded (720p and 1080p). I'm going to give imdickie's suggestion a try and I'll report back with the results tomorrow

dakidark

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »

Ok, so I reencoded a 720p source overnight with a bitrate of 3000kB/s and that didn't seem to fix anything. I still got the picture stuttering between every 30-40 seconds... any other ideas?

jamrop

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »

Hey

Your link to the tutorial seems to be down

dakidark

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

Orbitfiles appears to be down at the moment due to "the server being busy". My suggestion would be to try back in a day or so. If it doesn't come back up, I can try to mirror it somewhere else if Chris is still on vacation.

jacanuck

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »

There is a PDF version of this guide mirrored on my blog.

http://www.ryanwalsh.ca/blog/?p=8

zLensman

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 04:13:00 AM »

Orbitfiles came back for me this AM.  I was able to download the tutorial doc and profiles.

Yesterday I discovered the previous tutorial by impimpin206, read through that thread (very long) then followed the links here to Chris Lynch's tutorial.  Very nicely done, Chris!

I'm running some test encodes now and will report back on my findings soon.  And, yes, I just now joined this board to participate in the discussion, but I'm not a n00b when it comes to video conversions.

placebo3681

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(dakidark @ Feb 7 2008, 08:57 AM) View Post

Ok, so I reencoded a 720p source overnight with a bitrate of 3000kB/s and that didn't seem to fix anything. I still got the picture stuttering between every 30-40 seconds... any other ideas?

dakidark

Are you using the chrislynch's idea of using 24 frames/sec as the source (even though it may come up as 23.976)? Also what framerate are you encoding as? I've had the same problem of stuttering every minute or so in the movie (no issues with quality). I was talking to a friend who has been in the encoding scene for a bit and he said this issue doesnt sound like a bitrate problem, but perhaps a framerate problem. I played around with an MKV that was encoded at 25 fps. I re-encoded a sample to 25 fps WMV and it came out fine. No beginning stuttering issues (like the ones first reported) and no stutters like what you and I (and probably others) have been having.  I'm going to play around with the framerates of some of the movies that I have that were encoded at 23.976 and see what happens. I'm sure it's fixable. Just have to trial and error it.

dakidark

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »

The source mkvs I have are encoded at 23.976 fps, but I've tried using 24 as well as 23.976 and both methods seem to be having the same issue. I'll set a few movies to reincode using other bitrates today while I'm at work and see what happens! Thanks for the insight though!

jacanuck

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(dakidark @ Feb 8 2008, 10:24 AM) *

The source mkvs I have are encoded at 23.976 fps, but I've tried using 24 as well as 23.976 and both methods seem to be having the same issue. I'll set a few movies to reincode using other bitrates today while I'm at work and see what happens! Thanks for the insight though!

Did you have any codec packages installed previous to following this guide?  A different version of ffdshow may be the culprit.  The reason I suggest it, is that the latest build of ffdshow is often bundled in multiple codec packages (CCCP, k-lite, etc).  However, most of the latest builds are beta and not "stable".  The latest stable build was almost a year ago.

This post has been edited by jacanuck: Feb 8 2008, 05:12 PM

placebo3681

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(jacanuck @ Feb 8 2008, 11:10 AM) View Post

Did you have any codec packages installed previous to following this guide?  A different version of ffdshow may be the culprit.  The reason I suggest it, is that the latest build of ffdshow is often bundled in multiple codec packages (CCCP, k-lite, etc).  However, most of the latest builds are beta and not "stable".  The latest stable build was almost a year ago.

Do you have to use ffdshow? I use CoreAVC as suggested by chrislynch. I have the most up-to-date software.

zLensman

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(placebo3681 @ Feb 8 2008, 08:42 AM) View Post

I was talking to a friend who has been in the encoding scene for a bit and he said this issue doesnt sound like a bitrate problem, but perhaps a framerate problem.... I'm sure it's fixable. Just have to trial and error it.

I'm with your friend -- it feels like a framerate problem to me.  Let's review.

The original video stuttering problem was seen when directly importing the mkv file into TMPGenc Xpress and not changing the input framerate.  I have seen this myself and it's very ugly.  The motion becomes jerky and it is constant and unbearable.

Chris discovered the magic technique of changing the input framerate to 24 fps when it is detected as 23.976.  This makes the constant jerking go away, but seems to add the "hiccup" every 41 seconds.  In every test render that I've done so far, I get the hiccup.  It's much better, even watchable, but no good for archiving.

BTW, the playback testing I've been doing is in WMP11 since the output is a wmv.  The hiccup is the same in WMPC -- 41 secs -- so this has nothing to do with the Xbox 360.

Finally, a quick rundown of my setup: Vista Home Premium, TMPGenc Xpress 4.4.2.238 (full retail), Haali Media Splitter, ffdshow-tryout 4a.  I do not have CoreAVC installed (yet), nor AC3Filter.

jacanuck

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(placebo3681 @ Feb 8 2008, 10:27 AM) View Post

Do you have to use ffdshow? I use CoreAVC as suggested by chrislynch. I have the most up-to-date software.

See Appendix B. ffdshow rev. 610 (20061201)-stable Installation and Config on page 16 of the guide.  This will show you how install ffdshow to decode MPEG-2.

The reason I asked originally, is that if a user has ffdshow previously installed, it may be conflicting with CoreAVC (a few of the beta builds of ffdshow cause the stuttery playback).  

The very first step in Chris's guide should be to Uninstall all existing codecs and codec packages that are not part of the XP / Vista default installation.  Then follow Chris's installation instructions for the codecs listed in the document.  This will ensure that an old version of any conflicting codecs are not installed.

dakidark

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(jacanuck @ Feb 8 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

See Appendix B. ffdshow rev. 610 (20061201)-stable Installation and Config on page 16 of the guide.  This will show you how install ffdshow to decode MPEG-2.

The reason I asked originally, is that if a user has ffdshow previously installed, it may be conflicting with CoreAVC (a few of the beta builds of ffdshow cause the stuttery playback).  

The very first step in Chris's guide should be to Uninstall all existing codecs and codec packages that are not part of the XP / Vista default installation.  Then follow Chris's installation instructions for the codecs listed in the document.  This will ensure that an old version of any conflicting codecs are not installed.

I did have a codec package installed, but removed it completely and installed coreAVC instead. Evidently today while I was at work something strange happened and my encoding didn't work, so I'm trying again now. Here's a brief snapshot of my setup:

Vista Ultimate x64, TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress v4.4.1.237, Haali Media Splitter and CoreAVC Professional 1.6.0.0, 4GB dual channel DDR2,  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz running @ 3.25GHz).

jacanuck

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(dakidark @ Feb 8 2008, 07:26 PM) View Post

I did have a codec package installed, but removed it completely and installed coreAVC instead. Evidently today while I was at work something strange happened and my encoding didn't work, so I'm trying again now. Here's a brief snapshot of my setup:

Vista Ultimate x64, TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress v4.4.1.237, Haali Media Splitter and CoreAVC Professional 1.6.0.0, 4GB dual channel DDR2,  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz running @ 3.25GHz).

Did you install the Haali Media Splitter that is bundled with CoreAVC?  If so, uninstall CoreAVC and reinstall without Haali Media Splitter.  The version of Haali Media Splitter linked separately in the guide on page 5 is newer, and seems to work better.

dakidark

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »

Unfortunately no joy. I followed Chris's guide to the letter and only installed the standalone and unchecked the option to install the one bundled. My re-encode just finished, so let me fool around with that for a few minutes and I'll report on what I did and whether it worked in a few. Thanks for the tips though!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20