xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MS has been talking to Blu-ray all along  (Read 247 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
MS has been talking to Blu-ray all along
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | January 28 12:24 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From eurogamer.net:

Xbox marketing bigwig Jeff Bell says Microsoft has been talking to Blu-ray about the possibility of a partnership all along.

He was speaking about Warner Bros.'s recent decision to exclusively pick the Sony-championed disc format, and did not rule out the possibility MS will adopt it at some point in the future.

"We've been talking to Blu-ray all along because we have the best piece of software in the business, called HDi. It is the backbone that powers interactivity in HD-DVD and we have that available to potentially partner with others," Jeff Bell told 1UP.

"You never say never. I think we'd like to see how things evolve. Our commitment, however, to HD-DVD is profound and consistent, and we have done very, very well in term of our accessory sales."

Full Story: eurogamer.net | 1up.com

MaulerX

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »

It's only a matter of time when  a blu-ray addon will be announced/released.

cloudyimpulse

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »

I'm not saying they're releasing a Blu-Ray player, but jeez, don't you love how they play both sides... LOVE IT!

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »

I still think HD-DVD aint going away any time soon, sure it might not be for movies but I just can't see the format dying for some years yet.

Thankfully I have a PS3 as well so I wouldn't buy the 360 addon lol.

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »

I wish MS would stop lieing about addons and stuff like that.  "No we will never have Blu Ray!" 6 months later "Of course, we were planning to have Blu Ray all along."  What a bunch of douche jockeys.

Claka

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Fantmx @ Jan 28 2008, 09:50 PM) View Post

Did you guys even read the article?  What they have been talking about all along is the use of Microsoft's HDi in Blu ray.

Yup,
"We've been talking to Blu-ray all along because we have the best piece of software in the business, called HDi. It is the backbone that powers interactivity in HD-DVD and we have that available to potentially partner with others"

And the Blu-ray consortium told them to go take a running jump, when MS said 'you can only use HDi, you can't HDi AND Java'

iwannadie

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »

Ok, Im officially sick of the blu hd 'war'. I mean come on its gotten old, do people Really care that much who comes out on top here. Unless you own stock in either side it shouldnt effect you That much. People are taking it very personal anymore like theres something to be gained by being right.

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

*YAWN* Same old story different week. Just bring out a 360 with a dual format drive...

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »

I love how MS has 'officially' went back and forth on this in the media lately.

There's no doubt in my mind that MS will indeed have a Blu-ray addon for the 360 but if and only if HD DVD is 90%+ dead -- Only when it's 100% clear in every consumer's mind that Blu-ray is the way to go.

But if this happens in a few years, then MS will probably just make Blu-ray compatible with the NEXT Xbox and not the 360.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »

Despite the 360 and HD-DVD add-on, Microsoft is still ultimately a software company.  They can support whatever side takes the lead or is more profitable.   Obviously Microsoft is flexible and doesn't have some personal or emotional investment in either format like some companies and even fanboys do which requires them to stick to one side at all cost.  The Blue Ray vs HD-DVD argument isn't really their fight, it's Sony and Toshiba's.

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »

Well looks like I am gonna have a Triple Drive 360, wonder if ill put the 2 add on drives horizontal on top of each other or vertical side by side? jester.gif

At least I didn't pay for the HD-DVD add on (mom and dad did for a Christmas Present) so if it fails then I really didn't loos anything, too bad I really liked HD-DVD. sad.gif

The consumers have decided on the crappy interface, and more expansive hardware, WTF is wrong with everyone? huh.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »

But if this happens in a few years, then MS will probably just make Blu-ray compatible with the NEXT Xbox and not the 360.

I doubt it, I really can't see MS paying royalties to Sony lol.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

The consumers have decided on the crappy interface, and more expansive hardware, WTF is wrong with everyone?

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif You do realise what you inadvertently wrote there.
 As for royalties. None of you know the payments involved between companies for use of copyright and I don't suppose any will tell you. It works all ways up as well. the bottom line for any of these is paying for something is part of business. If the company can still turn an acceptable profit from using whatever technology to produce their equipment, then the costs are acceptable , no matter who they are to.
Business decisions are just that and are not at that high level based on who someone personally doesn't like or does. Survival at a good profit margin is all any company cares.

namrrac

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »

Do you not realize that all physical media is going to go the way of the dodo?  Most of the major movie rental places are closing up shop.  People can't afford to pay $30 for a movie, when their mortgage went up.  Once the US has the internet infrastructure that the Asian nations have, all media will be in a digital form. I say >5 years.

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(namrrac @ Jan 28 2008, 06:58 PM) View Post

Do you not realize that all physical media is going to go the way of the dodo?  Most of the major movie rental places are closing up shop.  People can't afford to pay $30 for a movie, when their mortgage went up.  Once the US has the internet infrastructure that the Asian nations have, all media will be in a digital form. I say >5 years.

I assume you meant < 5 years?
Pages: [1] 2