xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: So Heres What Im Trying To Do...and What A Pain!  (Read 55 times)

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
So Heres What Im Trying To Do...and What A Pain!
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »

Your question is slightly confusing, as you have posted in the 360 forum but you are asking about XBMC, yet you also mention 360....hmmm

XBMC will play directly from an .iso, so if you rip with shrink to .iso, it keeps it all tidy (1 file per movie)
You could also try launching the movie from the .ifo file if you leave them in folder form.

Moving to Xbox newbie chat, if this is about the 360, then pm me and I will move it back.

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »

When I have a movie ripped to the PC in that format,

\Video_TS
Video_01_0
Video_01_1
Video_01_2
Video_01_3
Video_01_4

I usually click the IFO file like suggested. If that doesn't work, you may need to stack the files into a play list or play each VOB file separate.

It sounds like you may be having problems with the speed of the USB drive keeping up with the stream. Have you tried ripping a movie to the HD of the PC and playing it?

One way I solved my problem was buying a WD World book. It is the one that has an Ethernet connection. Essentially it is a stand alone NAS that has worked out great. The PC doesn't have to be on for you to stream music or videos out. If all else fails you may try that.

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »

OK, you are talking about the 360. There is some confusion when you mention XBMC and 360. It is easy to mistake you are talking about the MC360 skin for the Xbox 1 and XBMC.

Moving back to 360 forums.

barkroc2

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »

so why might clicking on those files freeze the 360 media center? like its gonna play then it freezes. just tell me this so i know it IS possible, has somebody here  successfully streamed a VIDEO_TS foler to play on the 360 in media center, WITH vista media center?? or successfully an iso? thats all i wanna know ..ill figure out how. (not that i dont immensly appreciate any responses or suggestions)--gracias

MaxP

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 04:49:00 AM »

i cannot recall of anyone saying they have managed to play a DVD.ISO or TS_VIDEO directly on the 360.
Using Windows Medica Center you can stream individual VOB files as long as you rename them to .MPG first.

To try and archive what you want you might be able to.
Use dvd Shrink to rip to folder (change the setting NOT to split to 1GB chunks)
and then rename the large Vob to .mpg.

then you will end up with a lots of folder with all the correct DVD Ifos and stuffs and one large .mpg that will steam the the 360. at a later date if you wanted to burn to dvd-r you could rename the .mpg back to a .vob.

my only concern is having the single large .vob as opposed to smaller (<1GB) .vobs
i note in DVD shrink it says the <1GB vobs is due to compatibility.
worse case you might want to run the large .vob back thru DVDShrink to get the smaller vobs.
its a little bit of a pain but far quicker than converting too and fro.

barkroc2

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »

looks like that would be the most ideal way for me to do it, but if i remember right, i tried a movie that way renamed the 1 big vob to .mpg, but it still wont play on the xbox. i can see the file but it just freezes the 360 after i click on it. fwiw the file (as shown in the 360 media center) says unknown length, like it doesnt recognize it at all