xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Don't Believe the Low Bit-Rate 'HD' Lie  (Read 612 times)

popper

• Archived User
Don't Believe the Low Bit-Rate 'HD' Lie
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Jan 20 2008, 05:57 PM) View Post

What about the fact that NO ONE broadcasts in 1080p? Comcast and satelite and over the air are both 1080i or 720p who the hell cares about 1080p when the only thing that can play it is blu-ray and hd-dvd? Also aren't all the downloadable stuff not 1080p as well?

I only bring this up because the entire article is talking about downloadable or broadcast service right?

arr well there you are my friend, you seem to be  thinking everything revolves around your stated very limited US position, do you live out in the sticks or something, and so cant match the townys toys or something?.

the world is a VERY BIG and busy place my friend, look around, you might be amazed at the fun stuff out there.

the UK do infact broadcast in higher modes infact thats what lots of people were getting worked up about , the AVC codecs didnt decode the broadcast content very well if at all, until CORE AVC steped in, in the early days.

remember the BBC that gave the world 25fps PAL TV and you came along and didnt like standards so went and used an oddball  point something or other format that messed with everyones simple and easy digital encoding settings,and people (outside your microscopic part of the world, relatively speaking) had to use something called pull down and lots more messing around with the US content?, did you ever sort that mess out BTW?.

100fps pal HD tv looks very nice BTW wink.gif

but even the current UK broadcasting cant hold a candle today to this  love.gif it

http://www.theinquir...s-megapixel-tvs
"Japan plans 33 megapixel TVs
With 24 channel surround sound

By Egan Orion: Tuesday, 15 January 2008, 1:10 PM

THE JAPANESE Communications Ministry has stumped up 300 million yen (that is $2.735 million US dollars) to subsidise Japanese broadcaster NHK's launch of a 33.2 megapixel television broadcast standard by 2015.

The "Super Hi-Vision" TV standard will use screens with 4,000 scan lines, 7680 pixels wide by 4320 pixels high, and provide a 100-degree wide field of view at the standard viewing distance. The current HDTV standard is 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high and yields a 30-degree wide field of view at standard distance.

Also planned for the Super Hi-Vision TV standard is 24 channel surround sound.

Data rates for NHK's new TV standard are estimated at 24 Gbps for video and 28 Mbps for audio in raw format, less in compressed format. ยต
"

even Birkborkasson might have a problem downloading this content  tongue.gif , i wonder if its held in generic DVB transport streams, what do we think the average filesize might be assuming what settings they might use for the AVC codec, i dont really know.

what sized DVD would hold this massive content, do we think it would fit on BR, guess its one way to stop everyone and his dog copying it in its native format.
 laugh.gif
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]