xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: iTunes HD Movie Rentals 1usd Less than XBL  (Read 349 times)

tabicat

• Archived User
iTunes HD Movie Rentals 1usd Less than XBL
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »

It's still too expensive.  I can rent HD DVDs from Netflix for about a dollar each, and the video quality is far superior to anything you can download the Marketplace or iTunes.  Someone wake me up when I can download a 20GB HD movie in under 30 minutes for $2.  Until then, I'm not interested.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kurto2022 @ Jan 16 2008, 08:22 AM) View Post
I'd also love to see how many people here who bitch about it could even tell the difference between 720 and 1080.  People complain just for the sake of complaining.
Wow, you sound pretty bitter. Why should people who spent the money on a 1080p TV not want to prefer that resolution? Regardless of if they can see it or not, why should they not want it if they spent the money on a TV that can support it? It's amusing to me how people get upset at other people who invested in a technology and try to convince people to make stuff for their format.... oh wait, that's Toshiba. Look at them bitching about movie studios making Bluray. They just need to sit down and shut up... right?

To everyone else... I was in Blockbuster yesterday. I asked... a standard movie rental is $4.49 and a Bluray is $4.99. I'm sure you save time and a very small amount of money renting from itunes or xbl. But with the difference in quality, the extra content (for those who like that stuff), why spend all that money on one of those services when you can get the real movie for less and have a better picture. iTunes is worse, you have to watch it on your ipod or computer unless you buy an otherwise useless box that will take up yet another HDMI port on your TV. If apple was smart, they would rent the boxes or give them out free to subscribers.

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(readmore @ Jan 16 2008, 09:40 AM) View Post

Personally I think this further pushes the digital download era which I am all for. Time for Optical Media to move aside.

exactly, people have been blasting digital downloads and calling the idea "insane" and we are still "years away."  well, the announcement from apple yesterday was quite interesting - they have every major motion picture studio on board and an interesting price model with $3 for older movies and $4 for new releases and add $1 to either for HD.  non-HD movies will begin playback in under 30 seconds (they have not stated how HD ones will work).  and the new apple tv devices can act as a stand-alone device without any pc in the house needed.  this is big for all of the households without a 360, especially since they dropped the price of the apple tv by $70 down to $230.

this still isn't for me just yet, but this was a HUGE step towards on-demand digital content and will only convince consumers more over the next few years that this really is the "future of entertainment."  i still think that optical media will stay around, but movies will eventually fall the same fate as the music CD - many use them, and many don't.  (as an example - itunes sold their 4 Billionith song just recently and 20 million songs were purchased on Christmas Day 2007 alone).

as a consumer it is very nice to have options to enjoy our entertainment because there really is no "one size fits all" for how we enjoy our media...

apexad

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(Swahili @ Jan 16 2008, 12:51 PM) View Post

229 to get into hd movie downloads is still cheaper then a 349 xbox. So that comparison is just stupid.

Really sucks that you need a apple TV though likewise that you need a xbox360 and live in the US to get into marketplace.

The rational is not stupid.  You can't play Halo 3 on an Apple TV device.  In fact, you can't do anything besides put some movies and music on it and stream it to a TV.  The Xbox 360 is far more worth the money than the Apple TV thing.

viperware

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »

Just curious, but are there people on this site who don't know how to get HD versions of these movies for "limited evaluation" (aka rental) for free? Especially if you are going to download it. If you plan on evaluating a file for educational purposes for less than 24 hours, I'm pretty sure it's legal regardless of what is contained in that file. If you like the content, then you can make a decision to buy the actual physical disc. This is a much more practical form of consumerism. I don't let big companies like apple and microsoft nickel and dime me. Have you ever bought something off iTunes, decided it sucks and deleted it? Don't you think you deserve your money back? Evaluate first, for free. Buy if you like. I have found that I delete most all of the crap that comes out. I am a more cynical consumer than most, but the formula works for everyone. Save your bux! Spend them on a new Xbox500 or whatever they want to call the next one.

SkiFreak

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(viperware @ Jan 16 2008, 04:59 PM) View Post
If you plan on evaluating a file for educational purposes for less than 24 hours, I'm pretty sure it's legal regardless of what is contained in that file.

I don't intend to start a flame war or anything, but you sir are an idiot. Downloading a copyrighted file (that is, ANYTHING) without the creator's/owner's consent is downright illegal. It's outright theft. Would you go into Target and steal all the movies you wanted, on the premise that you only intended to keep them for 24 hours and if you didn't like them, throw them out? Of course not! Just because the internet gives you a sense of anonymity and security does NOT make it ok to abuse that and do things you wouldn't do in the course of your normal life.

On the other hand, if you're the kind of person that thinks stealing is ok... then you deserve to be in jail.

Devedander

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Jan 16 2008, 08:22 AM) View Post

Wow, you sound pretty bitter. Why should people who spent the money on a 1080p TV not want to prefer that resolution? Regardless of if they can see it or not, why should they not want it if they spent the money on a TV that can support it?

Because it's an annoyance that is based on an uneducated standpoint.  It's the same with fanboys who buy one system but have never played the other and then step out and voice a very one sided opinion on the fact.

I am sure we have all come across plenty of noob and or fanboy questions that annoyed us and after enough of them on the same non existent point, we eventually spoke up about it right?

Why shouldn't fan boys be allowed to like one system over another despite no real logical argument?  They certainly should be allowed to!  

But when they start voicing that opinion as if it's based on fact in a way that is in the face of those who do know the facts... well then someone is likely going to say something about it...

SkiFreak

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

FWIW, 720p television broadcasts almost always look better than 1080i broadcasts. And there are no 1080p broadcasts.

The only sources to get 1080p video from are HD DVD and bluray, the xbox 360, and the PS3 (and, obviously, a computer outputting 1920x1080).

And.. if you can notice a difference between uncompressed 720p and 1080p, you're sitting too close to your television wink.gif

readmore

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(SkiFreak @ Jan 16 2008, 06:17 PM) View Post

I don't intend to start a flame war or anything, but you sir are an idiot. Downloading a copyrighted file (that is, ANYTHING) without the creator's/owner's consent is downright illegal. It's outright theft. Would you go into Target and steal all the movies you wanted, on the premise that you only intended to keep them for 24 hours and if you didn't like them, throw them out? Of course not! Just because the internet gives you a sense of anonymity and security does NOT make it ok to abuse that and do things you wouldn't do in the course of your normal life.

On the other hand, if you're the kind of person that thinks stealing is ok... then you deserve to be in jail.

Ummm you do realize what website this is do you not? I mean come on.

apexad

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(SkiFreak @ Jan 16 2008, 06:27 PM) View Post

FWIW, 720p television broadcasts almost always look better than 1080i broadcasts. And there are no 1080p broadcasts.

The only sources to get 1080p video from are HD DVD and bluray, the xbox 360, and the PS3 (and, obviously, a computer outputting 1920x1080).

And.. if you can notice a difference between uncompressed 720p and 1080p, you're sitting too close to your television wink.gif

This is because 720p is progressive.  Progressive is much better for motion and live action sequences, so of course it looks better than 1080i.

However, your other argument is just irrational.  If you have a TV larger than 42" that is capable of displaying 1080p, you will notice a difference between 1080p and 720p.  Is the difference huge?  Is it worth it?  Maybe not, but it is there.

That being said, I've downloaded several movies from Xbox Live rather than buying the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, so I am alright with 720p on my TV, but still, some are not.

SkiFreak

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(readmore @ Jan 16 2008, 06:20 PM) *

Ummm you do realize what website this is do you not? I mean come on.

Yes. This is Xbox-Scene. Not piracy-scene, not i'm-a-thief-scene, not i-steal-because-i-have-no-money-scene. Xbox-Scene. This site is here to support the development of innovative and new ways to use your game console. Case hacks, homebrew software, getting it to run linux. It is also here to help in making backups of games that you own.

viperware, and readmore be warned.. it's attitudes like that that are going to get you in trouble.

QUOTE(apexad @ Jan 16 2008, 06:48 PM) *

This is because 720p is progressive.  Progressive is much better for motion and live action sequences, so of course it looks better than 1080i.

However, your other argument is just irrational.  If you have a TV larger than 42" that is capable of displaying 1080p, you will notice a difference between 1080p and 720p.  Is the difference huge?  Is it worth it?  Maybe not, but it is there.

That being said, I've downloaded several movies from Xbox Live rather than buying the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, so I am alright with 720p on my TV, but still, some are not.

I'm well aware; I was more responding to bob_barker's post earlier about OTA broadcasts, where he implied '1080' as being better than 720p (which is a perfectly rational argument if it weren't for the fact that all OTA broadcasts that are 1920x1080 are interlaced). I wasn't trying to say you couldn't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p; I was merely pointing out that at an appropriate viewing distance (and this goes up as your set size increases) the average person will not be able to tell you which one is "better".

QUOTE(bob_barker @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) *

I can tell you when an OTA broadcast is in 720 or 1080 with a glance.  It's obvious when you have a big fsckin' screen.

iwannadie

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »

Everyone here seems to forget that theres a Whole world out there that doesnt play video games. Those people dont have nor will ever want a 360 or ps3. Those are the people that apple is targeting with devices like the iTV. They have a huge user base of iPod users who are just casual users on the computer. The kind of person who also has an iMac and uses it to just surf and buy music. That type of person will likely pay to download a movie and stream it to there tv and be dam happy about it.

I tunes TV show downloads are huge, I know people buying full seasons to watch on their ipods and tv. These same people could go buy a dvd set but they rather download from their home.

Will these apply HD movie downloads be a huge rival to hard media, no. They will however be popular and slowly gain an audience.

I know if I had the setup to watch on my tv Id likely buy a few movies. I use an mail away movie service but theres time I want to see a movie Now and would pay 5 bucks for that ability.

QUOTE(viperware @ Jan 16 2008, 09:59 AM) *

Just curious, but are there people on this site who don't know how to get HD versions of these movies for "limited evaluation" (aka rental) for free? Especially if you are going to download it. If you plan on evaluating a file for educational purposes for less than 24 hours, I'm pretty sure it's legal regardless of what is contained in that file. If you like the content, then you can make a decision to buy the actual physical disc. This is a much more practical form of consumerism. I don't let big companies like apple and microsoft nickel and dime me. Have you ever bought something off iTunes, decided it sucks and deleted it? Don't you think you deserve your money back? Evaluate first, for free. Buy if you like. I have found that I delete most all of the crap that comes out. I am a more cynical consumer than most, but the formula works for everyone. Save your bux! Spend them on a new Xbox500 or whatever they want to call the next one.

lol how can you watch lets say the transformer movie in an 'educational' manner? If your watching a movie your likely doing it for an entertainment purpose which throws your whole theory out the window. Not that the idea of stealing movies, watching and deleting them in 24 hours is legal made sense to being with.

Maybe I can go steal a new corvette for 24 hours, educational purpose only of course.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Swahili @ Jan 16 2008, 11:51 AM) View Post

229 to get into hd movie downloads is still cheaper then a 349 xbox. So that comparison is just stupid.

Really sucks that you need a apple TV though likewise that you need a xbox360 and live in the US to get into marketplace.

That comparison is only stupid if you completely ignore the fact that the 360 does a bit more then just playback movies (what did you thing that game controller was for?)   Arguments can also be made about $229 being too much for a device that just playsback movies.

free hurricane

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

As you can tell by all these mkv conversion guides, a lot of the people here are getting their movies from the pirates bay, so they don't care about price....

pilotlicense

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »

Usenet FTW
Pages: 1 [2] 3