xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: iTunes HD Movie Rentals 1usd Less than XBL  (Read 348 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
iTunes HD Movie Rentals 1usd Less than XBL
« on: January 15, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 15 23:09 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From 1up.com:

Microsoft's continued expansion of the Xbox Live Video Marketplace is a calculated move hailing the delivery of content exclusively via digital downloads. HD movie downloads aren't widely available on the Internet yet, making XBL Video Marketplace's direct download options an alluring attraction, even if they do cost $6 a piece. Not limited to the Xbox 360's userbase, however, is Apple, who today announced the introduction of HD movie downloads over iTunes.

The initial library of HD movies on iTunes is relatively small, with only 100 available (and more coming). What's different on iTunes, however, is the price: $5 per HD rental. Sure, a single dollar isn't massive, but worth considering cumulatively. The difference, however, is iTunes' inability to stream an HD rental to your HDTV without the aid of the company's Apple TV box, which now costs $229.

Full Story: 1up.com

no0b123

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »

How can you rent a video thru iTunes? Will your iPod delete the movie on the fly or wait until you re-connect the iPod to your iTunes? How long do you keep them?

I personally would rather rent a DVD for $5 dollars at a movie store to put on my 37" HDTV versus a small iPod screen  ph34r.gif

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »

The Apple TV Box is a joke. IMO, the 360 is still the winner here, even at $1 extra. Having said that; I have not yet, and never plan to rent a movie from their service unless they eventually release 1080p rentals. Otherwise, I'd rather spend the extra money and buy the disc.

twistednailsofv

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »

HD on iTunes, the video playback is horrible enough, esp. since everything is in 640x(xxx) quality, just to get a $230 dollar apple tv playback device... what a waste... just buy a hd dvd or blu ray or even a used ps3 and get an actual real HD or dvd rental...

i would rather rent from XBOX Live then apple... a 24 hour rental for my iphone... what a waste...

Base8

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »

no0b123: I agree, i think the 5$ thing is for an HD movie though, not one formated to the ipod.  I guess you would have to either have a media center pc or a laptop you can hook to your tv to watch it though.  I'd rather pay the extra dollar for the convenience though sense i have a 360 already.

This post has been edited by Base8: Jan 16 2008, 07:11 AM

Iben Jakinov

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »

It's nice to see some competition though.  Maybe this will push M$ to lower the price or bring 1080p.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »

Given the fact that you have to invest in that $230 Apple TV box is enough to put most off of the thing.  Meh when or if HD-DVD tanks I am investing in HD-VMD.

ca102455

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »

Cant see this being a winner! So unless i cough up even more money for their TV box im restriced to watching an HD movie on a 2" Ipod screen, great ohmy.gif

Kind of defeats the object in watching an HD movie...

trey85stang

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Jan 16 2008, 07:09 AM) View Post

The Apple TV Box is a joke. IMO, the 360 is still the winner here, even at $1 extra. Having said that; I have not yet, and never plan to rent a movie from their service unless they eventually release 1080p rentals. Otherwise, I'd rather spend the extra money and buy the disc.

I think the winner is still netflix.

twistednailsofv

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 02:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(trey85stang @ Jan 16 2008, 04:07 AM) View Post

I think the winner is still netflix.

to quote a line from Alien vs. Predator, "Whoever wins, we lose".

and i agree, they'll probably either drop the price or maybe offer a discount on newer or older releases on to XBL.

either way it's all a waste of money... one's DRM'd (iTunes)..., anothr one's in a format that you really can't do anything  with (XBL)..., DVD's thats nice to know that everyone who invested into the next genereation of quality just got boned, because everything on DVD is going to be in HD now, and now people have to rebuy the favorite flicks again..., and don't say 1080i upscale, because only half the movies don't even look decent, look like blurry or fuzzy blobs...

Swahili

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »

229 to get into hd movie downloads is still cheaper then a 349 xbox. So that comparison is just stupid.

Really sucks that you need a apple TV though likewise that you need a xbox360 and live in the US to get into marketplace.

Ken_D

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »

I've already got my iMac hooked up to my HDTV via DMI, so I can't speak from experience what the AppleTV would be like as a playback device. However, the one thing that'd put me off using the 360 is the noise - it'd be much nicer to have a near-silent device as opposed to something that, even when not spinning the DVD drive, is very noticeable.

Kurto2022

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jan 16 2008, 07:54 AM) View Post

Given the fact that you have to invest in that $230 Apple TV box is enough to put most off of the thing.  Meh when or if HD-DVD tanks I am investing in HD-VMD.

yeah....and due to the high costs of iPods nobody will buy them.  I remember that being said 5 years ago.  

the Xbox cannot play back any of the TV shows, movies, or songs you purchased on iTunes....AppleTV can.  And I might be mistaken but I think iTunes has sold a few songs.

1080p downloads is a LONG LONG LONG LONG ways away.  The size of a 1080p file will double and there just isn't enough infrastructure to make that possible.  I'd also love to see how many people here who bitch about it could even tell the difference between 720 and 1080.  People complain just for the sake of complaining.

yo

bob_barker

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kurto2022 @ Jan 16 2008, 03:22 PM) *

yeah....and due to the high costs of iPods nobody will buy them.  I remember that being said 5 years ago.  

the Xbox cannot play back any of the TV shows, movies, or songs you purchased on iTunes....AppleTV can.  And I might be mistaken but I think iTunes has sold a few songs.
1080p downloads is a LONG LONG LONG LONG ways away.  The size of a 1080p file will double and there just isn't enough infrastructure to make that possible.  I'd also love to see how many people here who bitch about it could even tell the difference between 720 and 1080.  People complain just for the sake of complaining.

yo

I can tell you when an OTA broadcast is in 720 or 1080 with a glance.  It's obvious when you have a big fsckin' screen.

The time limit on iTunes rentals is 30 days to watch it, then 24 hours once you've started watching it.  It makes sense.  I'm sure Jobs had a hell of a time getting movie studios to give him that much.

I haven't rented any HD movies from XBL yet.  I had tried my cable co's VOD HD service but it's hindered by the piece of junk Scientific American box I have that craps out constantly.

And with the price drop, the Apple TV is an interesting device.  The last model was very hackable, with users installing upgrades, full blown versions of OS X, etc. on it.  Can't wait to get my hands on one!

readmore

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »

We're talking about an Apple service here people. The drones will flock to it like old people to a Rolling Stones concert.
The Apple zealots will bow to their master Steve Jobs. Trust me on this, this will be huge.

Personally I think this further pushes the digital download era which I am all for. Time for Optical Media to move aside.

/Not a PC fanboy
//Not a Mac fanboy
///Call it like I see it

Pages: [1] 2 3