xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: HD DVD Not Dead yet: Lower Prices, New Marketing, Strong Q4 Sales  (Read 1378 times)

luther349

• Archived User
HD DVD Not Dead yet: Lower Prices, New Marketing, Strong Q4 Sales
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »

well blueray got a small advantage with the ps3 but even then none really wants it. moat ps3 users dont but blueray movies. hence why hddvd acully had a higher pickup rate on movies then blueray does. its true the format war was a useless one both formats are essentially stalled until the prices fall to that of standard dvd players. even stander dvd player had a stall in the first year but when they dropped down to the price of vhs players the format exploded and became a household item.

this format war was abought money who could bribe the most movie studios into there format not abought what format was better. if movie studios where not so easily bribed sorry hdvd would win the movie market sense the format has more features.  and blueray would dominate the pc storage area being it has more space.

now that hdvd got enough kicks in the balls from sony they relished going to be the cheaper format would destroy blueray. but its just to little to late the ships sinking and the rats have left.

This post has been edited by luther349: Jan 15 2008, 03:13 AM

joemm210

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »

I do agree it doesnt look good for HD DVD, but I kinda agree with Toshiba its not really over yet, what did blu-ray win? Blu-ray didnt really sell many players either, only thing is the playstation 3 saved blu-ray.

Toshiba has to get enough players out so the sales of the current hd dvd movies out sells the blu-ray movies then we will see some more support for HD DVD. I think they have to lower the price to 99.99 but we will see if the new price helps any.

Toshiba is one of the top notebook makers, they should really put hd dvd drives in all new laptops and have higher models with hd dvd burners in them.

tummybanana

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »

i for one wont go blu...i just dont trust any more formats from $ony after having my fingers burnt, and trust a half finished one even less regardless of what hollywood says....
its can hardly be called a victory if they have to buy support (and that goes for paramount too)

ill stick with hd dvd right thru, and for those short sighted studios theres always sd dvd.....

ill be getting my a2 soon so im happy

trey85stang

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »

unless HDDVD is jesus christ... it will stay dead.  Good try toshiba but you're way too late.

elitegamer360

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »

FTW, who needs HD-DVD or BD, MS will kill both with its HD-DL's.

way to go MS, F**k format wars F**k HD-DVD & BD, I hope they both go down for good now sleeping.gif ..

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »

With DVD upconversion via the HDMI output, HD DVD players instantly make a movie lover's existing DVD library look better than ever.

Can't the Blu-ray players do this?  That's a bit shit, isn't it?

QUOTE(joemm210 @ Jan 15 2008, 02:15 AM) View Post

Toshiba is one of the top notebook makers, they should really put hd dvd drives in all new laptops and have higher models with hd dvd burners in them.

And offer the drives to the other big players (Dell, HP, etc.) as well.  Penetrating the PC/notebook market would make things interesting.

slipstream

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »

I just want to add - I was rooting for HD-DVD for a long time, but in light of all the exclusive changes and what-not, I jumped to blu-ray. My choice for my blu-ray player? a PS3. So for everyone saying people who buy a PS3 dont buy blu-ray, im living proof thats wrong. I have a PS3, exclusivly for blu-ray, I dont own a single PS3 game, and probably wont untill FF13 (if it stays exclusive). I do own around 9 blu-ray movies though (not counting the 5 im waiting for from the free mail-in). People DO buy ps3's for blu-ray (especially since it will update to new profile easily). So saying it shouldnt count in the total-players-sold number is wrong. Even saying 1/2 sold are used for blu-ray is still an impressive number.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

The CH-DVD may also still come into play, and have an effect on the whole format war.  Ultimately its the consumer that will dictate the winner.  Sadly most consumers are uneducated on such matters.

spamenigma

• Archived User

Flagg3

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »

Ironic how all of those who argued with my statements that HD-DVD couldn't win the format war are suddenly silent, especially those that were arguing as recently as a month ago.

For the record, I did announce that this was inevitable back in 2006, and the reason then is the same reason now.  HD-DVD simply could not survive if the PS3 shipped with a Blu-Ray player.  In my opinion, Toshiba did everything right, and if given the choice, consumers most likely would have chosen HD-DVD over Blu-Ray.  But the simple math of it was that Blu-Ray would always have a much larger installed userbase in the critical first years, and those numbers made it impossible for there ever to be any other outcome.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=3303751

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=3305479

QUOTE(Flagg3 @ Mar 17 2006, 02:59 AM) *

Feel free to bookmark this page and quote me a year from now.  If the PS3 is not significantly delayed, there is simply no possible way that HD-DVD could possibly win the format war, plain and simple.  It's economics 101.

Flagg

slappynutz

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(ekruob @ Jan 15 2008, 01:46 AM) View Post

Universal will never support Sony - too many previous court cases between them means there is still deep-seated animosity harboured.

HD DVD doesn't need exclusive support - it just needs support.  If Toshiba buys support from Disney - it doesn't need to be exclusive support - then Blu-ray is doomed.

Univeral briefly supported even UMD when it seemed like the format had a future. They'll go where the money is. It's a public company that has to answer to shareholders ... they don't hold grudges as if they were a person.

Assuming you're referencing the Univeral V Betamax cast from the 80s. Funny, because most people who hate on Sony seem to gloss over the fact that back then, Sony was fighting for the consumer. That case established fair use rights and the right for consumers to make personal recordings. Regardless of what Sony may have done after that, they fought for a major, major consumer victory on that one.

And even with that bad blood with Universal it didn't stop Universal from supporting UMD, however briefly.

HD-DVD is tapped out. At this point retailers and the studios know that DVD sales are declining/levelling, and that a unified HD format is the only way there will be a lucrative disc-based model. They're pushing for one format.

If somehow Toshiba managed to convince Disney to offer support for HD-DVD, despite everything against that, all it would do is prolong the war even further. The only format that's doomed is HD-DVD. There's no way it can come back. If Toshiba buys support (highly unlikely) they'll just be dooming all HDM -- something studio shareholders and more importantly the retaillers that depend on customers coming in to buy discs simply won't let happen.

And even IF all that happened, the cat is out of the bag. Through CNN and MSNBC and FOX and national/local newspapers reporting on the death of HD-DVD the public perception is that it's dead. It's not coming back.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Exobex @ Jan 15 2008, 03:51 AM) View Post

Can't the Blu-ray players do this?  That's a bit shit, isn't it?
And offer the drives to the other big players (Dell, HP, etc.) as well.  Penetrating the PC/notebook market would make things interesting.

The Blu-Ray players can up-convert but most who own both players will tell you that the Toshiba wins out in this department HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!  The up-conversion on most Blu-Ray players is so-so at best.  Blu-Ray definitely is not in the consumer's best interests.  Anyone who has been backing up DVDs can vouch for that.  Wasting millions of dollars on "hacker-proof" copy protections just to have them broken within a few weeks and then passing these costs on to the consumer.  Furthermore the only hardware that is up to par and won't have issues with playback of up-coming Blu-Ray releases is the PS3, which at this point is $400 and is being sold at an average loss of $125 per unit to Sony.  Sony really cannot afford to slash prices too much further and at some point there will be a peak of proliferation for the PS3 sales.  Standalones as a whole have much more market potential as they can go to gamers and non-gamers alike and with attractive pricetags such as the A3.  Furthermore it should be noted that in terms of disc sales it's not really a fair comparison given the number of BOGO sales (Buy One Get One Free) that Blu-Ray has had which are more about promoting the format rather than generating any real revenue.  

Barnolde

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(elitegamer360 @ Jan 14 2008, 09:31 PM) View Post

FTW, who needs HD-DVD or BD, MS will kill both with its HD-DL's.

way to go MS, F**k format wars F**k HD-DVD & BD, I hope they both go down for good now sleeping.gif ..

laugh.gif

Inferior quality, no ownership, takes a long time to download, no physical medium.

Digital downloads are completely niche.

Embrace Blu-ray.  pop.gif

kingofdaberbz

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 02:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(Barnolde @ Jan 15 2008, 02:12 AM) *

laugh.gif

Inferior quality, no ownership, takes a long time to download, no physical medium.

Digital downloads are completely niche.

Embrace Blu-ray.  pop.gif

Inferior quality ? completely wrong
no ownership I download my movies on my pc so wrong again
long time to download? never knew two hours was long and will continue to get shorter,comcast coming out with 160mpbs so it'll be only 4 minutes
no storage medium? I've been buring my HD movies to blank dvds for the longest.
Also,I usually get my HD movies
weeks b4 their release date.

Support HD downloads it's the future pop.gif

hawkolugy

• Recovered User
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 02:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(kingofdaberbz @ Jan 15 2008, 10:28 AM) View Post

Inferior quality ? completely wrong
no ownership I download my movies on my pc so wrong again
long time to download? never knew two hours was long and will continue to get shorter,comcast coming out with 160mpbs so it'll be only 4 minutes
no storage medium? I've been buring my HD movies to blank dvds for the longest.
Also,I usually get my HD movies
weeks b4 their release date.

Support HD downloads it's the future pop.gif

1 I really doubt you are legally downloading content that is equal in quality to blu-ray(1080p).
2 True but not nearly as convenient or real feeling.
3 Dont hold your breath for that connection, but driving to buy a movie is also a pain.
4 Awesome you burn them to dvd's so you can play them on your...uh...computer, kind of pointless to me unless you have some elaborate setup at your house to stream HD, I do, but the average consumor won't.

Granted all of these can be fixed with time but for now...it is not better in any aspect except for not having to leave your house.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5