xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: New Line Follows Warner Bros. and Goes Blu  (Read 783 times)

Elemino

• Archived User
New Line Follows Warner Bros. and Goes Blu
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »

...and somewhere you missed where I said I was buying into both formats? That was before this announcement was made. I originally didn't care either, until I realized some of the bluray players were intentionally leaving out some of the new technologies. If I go buy an Onkyo TX-SR705 or 805, I'd like to have a player that supports all of the audio formats as well as the 6 color technologies my TV supports. The bottom line most don't understand is you still have to pay $500~$700 for a bluray player that does all of that (vs. the $350 for HD DVD). The PS3 does a lot the more expensive players do, but it doesn't even support all of the advanced audio formats.

I was only making my statements on my personal thoughts of Sony's history, but I never made any negative or deregatory statements about them other than their supersized ego. What I said about the TV's are based on the facts, technologies they include, and how reliable the TV's have been from what I've seen.

So... what exactly did I post that was BS? Let me know, because I back up my claims with facts.

And yes I am an HD DVD supporter, I support HD DVD and Bluray. Too bad the hybrids are still $800. You never heard me ONCE say I was never buying into bluray. I'm not sure where you got that from. I'm getting the 40GB PS3 next week along with my 6 free movies.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »

http://www.forbes.co...7markets08.html

Not news, but this is a big reason I don't support Blu-Ray. Forcing all of these disc makers to purchase new hardware just to press these discs is only going to drive up cost even more... HD-DVD IMO is the PERFECT next-gen solution. Blu-Ray is more of a next-next-gen thing if you ask me, doesn't seem ready for prime time but it is being shoved down our throats now. Most of the advantages Bluray currently has will be moot in just a few years as optical media is dying anyway...

biga55

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Jan 7 2008, 03:06 PM) *

So... what exactly did I post that was BS? Let me know, because I back up my claims with facts.

I didn't say you posted BS.  I said I don't go out and do that.  And what you posted about TVs just comes from a very limited perspective (one person).  Chancer's post basically nullified it with his experience.  In any case, I never brought up TVs.

And no need to keep insisting on the merits of HD-DVD lol.  No one cares at this point.

biga55

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »

@elemino
The forum isn't letting me edit my post so let me add...

My point was that Sony has succeeded with formats like CDs and DVDs (even if Toshiba is largely responsible for that one, the PS2 largely helped usher in DVDs in Japan and perhaps elsewhere).  I just wanted to know what your point was in replying to my post but all you did was continue on about how Sony sucks and HDDVD is awesome.  Not once did I start saying what a great, humble company Sony was, or tout BR's technical superiority.  That's why I say you are a fanboy.  I don't know if the TV comments were brought up in response to me but I never talked about TVs either.  I am not after a flame war, just a clear objective discussion (fat chance here lol) so I hope that's clear enough for you.

xcalixxryderx

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

Why is it that all the people that have been saying they support hd-dvd since the beginning are so quick to jump ship over this story? seems exactly what the blu-ray camp is hoping for. Im sure hd-dvd made some good sales over the holidays. And with the price drops if you're already in the market for an upconverting dvd player why not go for hd-dvd? And I dont hate Sony I just don't have much respect for a company who treats their consumers like trash. I know Microsoft is mainly behind drm wich is bad enough but the sony root kits was taking it a lil too far. And what about Mini disc players whats the point of selling them and later on saying that ripping you're cds is wrong what else was a Md player good for?

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(biga55 @ Jan 7 2008, 05:15 PM) View Post

@elemino
The forum isn't letting me edit my post so let me add...

My point was that Sony has succeeded with formats like CDs and DVDs (even if Toshiba is largely responsible for that one, the PS2 largely helped usher in DVDs in Japan and perhaps elsewhere).  I just wanted to know what your point was in replying to my post but all you did was continue on about how Sony sucks and HDDVD is awesome.  Not once did I start saying what a great, humble company Sony was, or tout BR's technical superiority.  That's why I say you are a fanboy.  I don't know if the TV comments were brought up in response to me but I never talked about TVs either.  I am not after a flame war, just a clear objective discussion (fat chance here lol) so I hope that's clear enough for you.

The TV's were in response to another person's post. I was actually responding to a few people in a couple of those. I don't really think his post nullified anything though, those companies can choose to handle broken TV's however they choose. I'm just saying, out of the 150 TVs in my store, the majority of them with problems are Sony. Be it the 40S3000 with a line in the middle of the screen, the Projection model that makes everyone look like an ogre cuz it's so green, or the 52W3000 that had the left half of the screen loose verticle sink after it warmed up where the right side was just fine. (There are more) I never forget the bottom line... business is business and the point for ANY of these companies is TO MAKE MONEY        Period. The problem is Toshiba didn't have a plan as good as Sony's. Oh well... Either way, wait a couple of years and the prevailing player will sell for about $100 at Wal-Mart... You'll probably be able to get an Emersson for $50, and it will probably play both formats. (Remember DVD-RAM? We still have recorders and players for them)

QUOTE(xcalixxryderx @ Jan 7 2008, 05:17 PM) View Post

Why is it that all the people that have been saying they support hd-dvd since the beginning are so quick to jump ship over this story? seems exactly what the blu-ray camp is hoping for. Im sure hd-dvd made some good sales over the holidays. And with the price drops if you're already in the market for an upconverting dvd player why not go for hd-dvd? And I dont hate Sony I just don't have much respect for a company who treats their consumers like trash. I know Microsoft is mainly behind drm wich is bad enough but the sony root kits was taking it a lil too far. And what about Mini disc players whats the point of selling them and later on saying that ripping you're cds is wrong what else was a Md player good for?
Why?.. If every gas station except (random choice here) Shell said we're not selling gasoline anymore, only E85 or diesel because a majority of consumers decided to buy them. Does it matter that you can buy a Bently, Rolls Royce, or Lamborghini for dirt cheap? Everytime you need gas you have to go to Shell, but if you're not near one you're screwed. What if Shell decided they couldn't hold out any longer and had to follow suit with the other companies because they began losing too much money? What are you going to do then?

The problem is if 95% of movie companies decide we can only do bluray now, HD DVD is pretty much dead. WB is a huge company to lose in the format war, and NLC is a big one itself. If they see that people begin buying more bluray players, they start making more bluray movies. People see more bluray movies so they start buying more bluray players... and the snowball continues. You're not going to stay onboard with the technology that has a tiny market share... remember Business is Business and the point of these companies is TO MAKE MONEY. $$$

PS. Microsoft is just as bad as Sony. They only extended the warranties because the problems were giving the Xbox 360 a bad name. Now that we have this super extended warranty, it doesn't really make the news anymore.

FirestormZero

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

Frankly, I find both of these formats completely useless and unnecessary.

DVD quality is really good. Blu-ray and HD-DVD just aren't that much different. It's not like the leap from vhs to dvd was.

I really don't need that jump.

If average joe has shown us anything, it's that average joe doesn't like either blu ray or hd-dvd... and really doesn't care or see an advantage.

$23,700,000,000  dollars in the total movie sales.
      $300,000,000 = Blue ray/Hd-dvd

They are at what? barely 1%.

Noooo oneee caaaaresss guise. We're really happy with dvds. They do a great job. I would never give anyone a bluray or an hddvd as a gift, and to be honest, the quality difference is just not there.

Until we get 3d holographic televisions, this is just an obvious ploy to change hardware so that we all have to buy new things again, except this time, there are no real advantages.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(FirestormZero @ Jan 7 2008, 06:10 PM) View Post

Frankly, I find both of these formats completely useless and unnecessary.
What are you watching, an 18 year old 20inch TV? Unnecessary.. that's funny.

FirestormZero

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

OMG WE MUST HAVE BLU RAY TO GETZ EXTRA DOTS PER SQUARE INCH !!!!111!OEN IT IS TEH FUTARR AND NECESSARY TO LIV!!!!

Seriously guys, those extra few dots per square inch are not important. They mostly reveal source defects anyways.

I see Blu ray being only a luxury videophile brat toy for the next four or five years. The consumer has spoken by not speaking and not buying any of this nonsense. HD-DVD? Blu Ray? We don't care. We're buying dvds, because they work, we like them, they have extra features, and there's only so much the human eye can notice, and at the end of the day, explosions look really similar to one another anyways, and the flaws of people are much more visable (and thus less romanticized/attractive) on bluray/hd-dvd.

Besides, these things are dinosaurs anyways, the next medium is called download. Because all this disk nonsense is 20th century anyways.

Enjoy your overpriced boxes.

<3 FirestormZero

xcalixxryderx

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »

How do you not see a difference ?? ya sure it would be over kill to use hd-dvd\blu-ray on a standard def crt but on my 50 inch plasma I can see plenty of difference even when watching from across the room.

a94cobra

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »

I agree on one point, most people don't really care yet.

But I can't agree on the other.  There is a huge difference in the HD format when you get something recorded or broadcast in true HD.  It is so awesome.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(xcalixxryderx @ Jan 7 2008, 09:23 PM) View Post

How do you not see a difference ?? ya sure it would be over kill to use hd-dvd\blu-ray on a standard def crt but on my 50 inch plasma I can see plenty of difference even when watching from across the room.
Exactly.. the difference is immense on my 65" Mitsu. On a TV made for it, HD is EVERYTHING. Even the news is something you look forward to seeing because the realism is like looking at people from the other side of a window.

If you haven't seen the difference, you haven't seen HD yet. (Or you need to have your eyes checked)

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2008, 04:38:00 AM »

The TV's were in response to another person's post. I was actually responding to a few people in a couple of those. I don't really think his post nullified anything though, those companies can choose to handle broken TV's however they choose.

Your comments are based on the stock in your BB shop. I don't understand the bit in bold??
Over the last 27 years I can put together accurate breakdown figures for TVs and I can tell you that Sony and Panasonic suffer the least. Samsung are very high up the list. We do In warranty repair for all the companies you mentioned, so my observations are not based on simply out of warranty customers who choose to use our service. I also have dealer access to technical bulletins and modifications to incorrect initial design. Sharp are one of the worst for this.
Not that the reliability of Tv sets really has anything to do with anything.
The points mostly being made in here seem to be taking a stance against Companies rather than relevant technology or film/hardware availability and popularity.
 Another myth to be dispelled is the fact that the bigger the TV the better the quality of the output picture. The suggestion that a 26" Tv shows a worse quality picture than a 50" or bigger is technically incorrect.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

Ok... first off. I was saying that not every manufacturer is going to handle a broken set the same. Some may just simply discard it, some may send it in for repair. Some may send it to be refurbished. Who know's exactly what they decide to do on each individual case. You also have to account for the fact that stores offer extended warranties and those repairs, services, and replacements will not be handled by the same people who handle it for the manufacturer. Basically I was saying neither of us has the full picture or can give a full picture... that's why I said 'in my store' and 'personal experience'. And I don't work for BB either.
QUOTE(Chancer @ Jan 8 2008, 05:38 AM) *
Another myth to be dispelled is the fact that the bigger the TV the better the quality of the output picture. The suggestion that a 26" Tv shows a worse quality picture than a 50" or bigger is technically incorrect.
Who said that? I never once saw anyone say that. The fact of the matter is bigger TV's need higher resolution to correct problems and poor picture quality that came along with stretching a picture made for a 20" TV set (which is what the original designers of TV had in mind). I personally stated the picture quality of a TV made in the early 90's is not going to have the same picture quality of an HDTV made today. I also said that Bluray and HD DVD are not going to matter as much if you have a 20" TV set. I wrapped it all into one simple statement though.

"What are you watching, an 18 year old 20inch TV?"

Bigger TV's only give you a better picture if they have a higher resolution. Now, having a bigger TV can make things seem more life like because the people aren't 3 inches tall on a 65" TV. I know, I upgraded from a 27" Toshiba I bought in October 2001 to play my Xbox 1 on. It didn't even support progressive scan.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Jan 8 2008, 05:35 PM) View Post

Basically I was saying neither of us has the full picture or can give a full picture..

I have access via the various viewdata systems to returns and fault numbers from more than just the service department I run. Log onto one of the viewdata systems with your dealer code and have a look at allsorts of interesting stats.

Who said that? I never once saw anyone say that.

then why the emphasis on screen size like  it made a difference then. You could have merely said you need a HDTV to see the benefit. Your post reads like the size of the HDTV is a factor.

"What are you watching, an 18 year old 20inch TV?"

Who Me? I am watching a 14 inch monochrome set with valves. I don't like colour it strains your eyes.

Bigger TV's only give you a better picture if they have a higher resolution.

There you go again. the picture on any size HDTV will be better than any size SDTV. 1080P on a 65" HDTV is not better quality than on a 32" HDTV. I think that is where I came in
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6