xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A roadmap for ending the high-def format quagmire  (Read 1235 times)

djtonic

• Archived User
A roadmap for ending the high-def format quagmire
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(DMAddict @ Jan 3 2008, 08:04 AM) *

At this point I'll say forget both of them, digital HD downloads are right around the corner.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

ughhh....why are people still hung up on "HD Downloads" "digital distrubution"  the wave of the future...a bandwith bonanza...the pipeline piledriver.  Download 1 movie to your xbox 20gig HD or maybe 15 movies to your PC 300GB HD..beam em straight to your head to massage massive ammounts of serotonin out of your pineal gland...who needs anti-depressants!
Larger format discs are useful, tangible and will be here for a long time.
Which format will win....that probably wont happen for a while.  There is too much investment on both sides for anyone to give up

~Dj~

h3xagram

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »

Here ya go buddy, I can't find a site that states this information anymore, but it is in the comments of other people talking about it.

Posted by ivid on Monday 10 September 2007 21:04
Size is CRITICAL and this is great news. 30 GB is not enough.

I am a broadcast professional with a very discriminating eye for detail and image quality. HD DVD is beautiful but it is not free of compression artifacts (same for blu-ray) and anyone who can notice them will. It is MPEG4 after all... Having 50 GB to store larger/ less compressed video will definately help this, particularily for longer running films.
Maybe improving the MPEG4 / VC-1 encoding software & imroving the optimization for compression artifcats would help too like it did in the DVD industry, but increased size is still a better solution IMO.

I would expect a firmware update to allow these new discs to be read by current-gen players. 45 GB 3-layer discs were talked about before the 1st HD DVD player was released last year so the idea of being able to focus the laser for a 3rd layer was thought about and speculated to be possible by F/W updates. Speculated... lets cross our fingers and hope it becomes a reality.
I can't see them making 51 GB movie discs if they won't play in early adopters and Xbox 360 HD DVD players.

Here is the link

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/DVD-Forum-app...D-DVD-disc.html

Please do research and stay up to date with the progress they made. They are still testing it and are stumped for a reason.

You're joking, right? That is NO different, then if I were to go on that forum and claim I'm an expert in laser physics and state my opinion.

Give me an ACTUAL article that states that HD-51 will NOT play in current players (and from a trustworthy source). But in the mean time, all you have given me was your own forum-posted opinion and some other guy's forum-posted opinion.

djtonic

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(readmore @ Jan 3 2008, 11:17 PM) *

I think you will still be able to go to a video store and grab a movie/video. However it won't be in a DVD or other optical disc format. You'll either plug in your high capacity USB hub into a kiosk and zap it to your drive or purchase it on its own flash memory drive. The future is not in optical discs. Just like we went from magnetic tape to optical disc, there will be a medium change in the VERY near future.

Do you go to sam goody with your Ipod to download music to it?  NO.  No one will ever go to the store to transfer a 50gig file to a flash drive.  Yes, 50gigs...I like all the useles commentary, deleted scenes, previews etc.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
File sizes/transfer rates/ bandwith speeds/ peoples need to hold and touch what they own will keep digital distrubution of movies from becoming mainstream.
The argument that movies will go the way of music CDs soon also doesnt hold water.  Muisc is enjoyed on the go and we do need a method to transport it comfortably.  Besides, adding some compression and loosing some quality is not as big a deal as it is with video you will be watching on a huge high def tv at home with your family.

Just so this isnt just a rant against digital distrubution I hope HD wins!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
~Dj~

This post has been edited by djtonic: Jan 4 2008, 05:53 AM

Foolscrow

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »

Wow...I'm stunned by the sheer stupidity of this blogger.

First of all, taking into account the number of problems that Warner is having with BR production (disc recalls on both the Harry Potter and Blade Runner BR gift sets), I have a hard time believing that they will go Blu exclusive any time soon.  Let's not forget that they have yet to release 2 of their bigger titles, namely Batman Begins or the Matrix Trilogy, on Blu-ray (something that's a bit odd for a company intending to go exclusive in the near future).  

Back in Nov., Jim Noonan, SVP of Strategic Promotion and Communication for Warner Home Entertainment Group said, "I can tell you that Warner's position has not changed, and I know that Dan did not intend to suggest that wasn't the case. We support both formats and we have made no decision to alter that policy, nor are there any such announcements coming, or being planned."  

As for speculation that the studio is waiting for Q4 sales results before making an announcement of format exclusivity -- perhaps even as soon as this January's CES in Las Vegas -- Noonan shot down any such short-term scenarios.

"Like any major company, we are always reviewing our strategies in every aspect of our business, it is what smart companies do. I can't say what may happen five, ten years down the line. But right now, Warner Bros. has made no decision to change course. We are still onboard with both formats, and will continue [with a strong line-up of new releases and catalog titles], just as we have in the past in supporting HD DVD and Blu-ray." (from hidefdigest.com).  

The only price-drops on BR players, are occuring in the realm of a stripped down PS3, as well as those that are not Profile 1.1 compliant (meaning that they are obsolete).  When profile 1.1 players finally hit the market (only 18 months later than hoped), BR will have finally caught up to some of HD DVD's feature set.  The downside?  Lurking in the wings is Blu-ray profile 2.0, which (at long last) makes an ethernet port a requirement (and thus creating a second wave of obsolete hardware).  How much money does the BDA really expect the consumer to pay, before FINALLY getting a completed product?  Worse still, how many of the fanboys are willing to give them this money?

Hell...even Howard Stringer called the war a stalemate...

It would seem to me that this war is going to continue, for a long time...

BIMPtacular

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(jaynigs @ Jan 3 2008, 01:17 PM) *

What a rediculous thing to say!

So what about the 3 layer Blu Ray discs? which are then again in turn "bigger" than the 3 layer HD-DVD's?

PER LAYER BLU-RAY has more capacity than HD DVD, End of that silly statement me thinks!!!

This article is more tongue in cheek than an official statement, a little humour nothing more.

HD DVD is already dead, dead man walking if you like, they can try and pay off whomever they like to prolong the agony, but its just a matter of time before they surrender

Furthermore, This debate has nothing to do with SONY VS MICROSOFT!

HD DVD is TACKED on to the 360, so there really is no need for xbox "fan boys" to get uppitty about it!

If the 360 was launched with a HD DVD player as standard, this whole situtation would be different, including the silly argument that the ps3 is a ripoff compared to the 360!

Consider the cost of the 360 and HD DVD addon AND the wifi addon!!!

the 360 is by FAR superior to the PS3........and i do have both, and i have logged thousands of hours on my 360, and maybe 30 on my ps3......and how did you get to xbox vs ps from hd-dvd vs blu-ray......without a blu-ray player the ps3 is pointless, but on the other hand an xbox without hd-dvd is still an awsome gaming machine.......ps3 is overrated and i hate the fact that i bought mine when it was still $600......and i have 2 360s, i must have really liked the first one......not to mention i dont have to update the 360 everytime i turn it on, that is so damn irritating.......blu-ray or hd-dvd doesnt matter to me cuz i have both players......but xbox or ps3, there just is no decision to make

and for the record, if everyone is grab assy about the damn blu-rays having more capacity, then why cant sony make blu-ray look any better than hd-dvd?  im catching every little bit of resolution on my 50" 1920x1080 native res. DLP 10,000:1CR.......so with so much more space they are still no different from the "inferior" hd-dvd......give me a break, they look the same and hd-dvd is cheaper......some movies look better than others of course, same thing on blu-ray....my 360 addon also upconverts my old dvds 100x better than my ps3, they look nasty and grainy on the ps3

This post has been edited by BIMPtacular: Jan 4 2008, 07:10 AM

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(prplehz @ Jan 4 2008, 01:05 AM) *

I thought betamax died because the tapes were only an hour long. What good is that to the movie industry?  Heck it was dead before it was born, lol..

I think you are thinking of the first u-matic Philips system. Beta was not restricted to 1 hour.
the 360 is by FAR superior to the PS3........and i do have both, and i have logged thousands of hours on my 360, and maybe 30 on my ps3......and how did you get to xbox vs ps from hd-dvd vs blu-ray......without a blu-ray player the ps3 is pointless, but on the other hand an xbox without hd-dvd is still an awsome gaming machine.......ps3 is overrated and i hate the fact that i bought mine when it was still $600......and i have 2 360s, i must have really liked the first one......not to mention i dont have to update the 360 everytime i turn it on, that is so damn irritating.......blu-ray or hd-dvd doesnt matter to me cuz i have both players......but xbox or ps3, there just is no decision to make

Why do people always have to make this 360 v PS3? It really is getting to be a tired old argument. This thread is not to do with that.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Jan 4 2008, 05:48 PM

warmaster_670

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(spamenigma @ Jan 3 2008, 09:35 PM) *

'Serenity' clearly the best film ever is HD-DVD only! the war is already won! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

pssh, serenity sucked hard compared to firefly, really hard.

QUOTE(BIMPtacular @ Jan 4 2008, 12:57 AM) *

and for the record, if everyone is grab assy about the damn blu-rays having more capacity, then why cant sony make blu-ray look any better than hd-dvd?  im catching every little bit of resolution on my 50" 1920x1080 native res. DLP 10,000:1CR.......so with so much more space they are still no different from the "inferior" hd-dvd......give me a break, they look the same and hd-dvd is cheaper......some movies look better than others of course, same thing on blu-ray....my 360 addon also upconverts my old dvds 100x better than my ps3, they look nasty and grainy on the ps3
Space =/= quality, space equals teh possibility of more content, theres no one out there that can argue more space is a bad thing, and at least the ps3s exclusives arnt all on the pc.

theres no reason at all to own a 360 if you have a pc capable of playing games.

i think your full of fanboy shit aswell

This post has been edited by warmaster_670: Jan 4 2008, 10:41 PM

spamenigma

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »

pssh, serenity sucked hard compared to firefly, really hard.

doesnt stop it being the best movie ever wink.gif

but good idea..lets have firefly on HD-DVD too!! biggrin.gif

spamenigma

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »

theres no reason at all to own a 360 if you have a pc capable of playing games.

As a pc gamer I'd almost agree, I hardly play my xb360, and my xbox's main purpose is for XBMC, I've started using the 360 for 1080p output to my projector and its suddenly got some potential for streaming media. MS need to look at xmbc for its interface, or at least get better codec support for the media center addon... I have the HD-DVD addon for my xb360 with 17 hd-dvd films so far (including serenity wink.gif )... connected to my 1080p projector.

You seemed to relate this to gaming machines when the post is all about media formats!

i think your full of fanboy shit aswell

(you're?) the rest is your opinion of that post.. but you seem to have created irony with your previous comment! biggrin.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]