xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A roadmap for ending the high-def format quagmire  (Read 1234 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
A roadmap for ending the high-def format quagmire
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 2 23:52 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From cnet.com:

How many times over the past few months have you heard that "the worst is over" and the chances of the high-def format war finally coming to a close were increasing by the day? If you haven't heard it at least once, you're probably not reading the right stories.

But with all that going on, the war is officially a quagmire for both sides and the chances of getting out of this quickly are diminishing at an astounding rate. Consider this: as it stands, the Blu-ray camp commands roughly 49 percent DVD market share, while HD DVD is trailing slightly behind. To make matters worse, some reports suggest HD DVD may be gaining strength, although most buyers are sitting out.

So what's really going on with this war? Is there an end in sight? Even better, is there a solution in sight that can finally put this to rest? If you ask me, I think this could be over in a month if the Blu-ray camp follows three steps.

Step 1: Warner
Step 2: Slash prices on all players
Step 3: Get in contact with HD DVD's supporters and inform them of the bad news

Full Story: cnet.com

no0b123

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »

I like step three jester.gif

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »

article sounds a tad too biased for me to take it seriously

Kreed

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »

No thanks, it is only because of competition that I am able to buy my HD-DVD and Blu at half off. I hate to think that I would be paying thru the nose if Movie studio (MPAA) and Record label (RIAA) owner Sony (MiniDisc, ATRAC, MemoryStick, UMD) had complete control of the market.

This post has been edited by Kreed: Jan 3 2008, 07:26 AM

h3xagram

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »

So what's really going on with this war? Is there an end in sight? Even better, is there a solution in sight that can finally put this to rest? If you ask me, I think this could be over in a month if the Blu-ray camp follows three steps.

Step 1: Warner
Step 2: Slash prices on all players
Step 3: Get in contact with HD DVD's supporters and inform them of the bad news

... or vice-versa. Its easier for HD DVD to manage a slash in prices (ex. the One day $99 HD-A2 sale) and the fact that Warner joined Microsoft & Toshiba's HDi Consortium late last year. wink.gif

This post has been edited by h3xagram: Jan 3 2008, 06:51 AM

DJdad

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

Did I miss a step or two.  That was laim reporting.  Very sad.

sunkist09

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »

doesnt hddvd have many more features though such as the "host a movie" option?, i am not for either format right now i am just sitting back and waiting to see what happens

This post has been edited by sunkist09: Jan 3 2008, 08:04 AM

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »

This is seriously from CNET? Are you kidding me?

Wow.. I just lost a little respect for them.

Here, let me make a similar article-

[ramble ramble ramble].. I believe HD-DVD can win if they follow these simple steps-
1- Acquire all big movie production companies
2- Continue decreasing prices of HD-DVD players
3- Blow up every Sony building in the world.

DMAddict

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »

At this point I'll say forget both of them, digital HD downloads are right around the corner.  tongue.gif

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »

I own more bluerays.  I think there is a better selection in blu-ray.  Thats just my opinion.  I have both a HDDVD addon and PS3.

This post has been edited by BoNg420: Jan 3 2008, 08:05 AM

Norco

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 12:22:00 AM »

Wow, wow, wow, thats all I have to say. If you click on the hacks..I mean writers name, it says he isn't even employed By CNET, and its quite pathetic for CNET to post such an article. If I was EVER contacted by Sony to 'inform' me that I should switch to BluRay I would tell them where to go and how to get there.

h_2_o

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 12:22:00 AM »

yeah no way this can be taken as a serious article, way to biased.  I'm curious as to how long it will take HD fans to go crazy and say sony paid that writer to say those things.

x264 driven HD FTW!!!!!!

Draeconix

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »

I believe I read an article a few months back about holographic DVD technology. I don't know where they are with the research and testing right now but if I remember correctly from that article they were in the first stages of testing. If this format war goes on too long, HD vs. Blu-ray may be a moot issue. Oh and yes the article was a bit biased as it didn't give any solution for HD-DVD to win the war.

Aside: The only difference between the two formats besides which studios have backed each one is that Blu-ray can hold more info and HD-DVD's can be produced on the same equipment the is used to make Standard DVD's thus making them theoretically cheaper. Blu-ray requires all new equipment. That said, I like the HD-DVD for that reason, it is cheaper.

This post has been edited by Draeconix: Jan 3 2008, 08:57 AM

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(DMAddict @ Jan 3 2008, 08:04 AM) *

At this point I'll say forget both of them, digital HD downloads are right around the corner.  tongue.gif

Have fun downloading 30GB movies. I've downloaded a bunch of HD/Blu-ray rips measuring 4.7gb for 720p and 8gb for 1080p (most at 1080p are larger at around 10-15) and they look great but are still compressed more and missing some features and audio options. Anything over 8GB is just too large for me to want to download unless I can get some significantly faster download speeds.

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(DMAddict @ Jan 3 2008, 02:04 AM) View Post

Right around the corner? You can download HD movies cheap off of Xbox Live.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4