xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wmp 11 Won't Enable Media Sharing  (Read 162 times)

airbrat

• Archived User
Wmp 11 Won't Enable Media Sharing
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »

I recently purchased an Xbox 360 and tried to set up my media share on my PC.
From my PC (WinXP SP2) I open media player, click Library, click Media
Sharing and then click Share my media and then click OK to to enable sharing.
After that nothing happens.

After a minute or two the OK box becomes bold again (clickable) and I click
it again. It just repeats this over and over again. The only way to return to
my media player is to click on Cancel.

I'd appreciate any help/suggestions on why this is happening.

Thanks

P.S. Is there any alternative/3rd party option to stream media to my 360?

mianus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:39:00 AM »

Could be worse, mine just says sharing has been turned off because of some windows component.  Click web help for more info and so i click it and web help does NOTHING!

airbrat

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:38:00 AM »

anyone else? this is frustrating the crap outta me sad.gif

andyd

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »

Did you figure out the issue?  I'm having the same problems on my brother's pc

gainpresence

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 03:54:00 AM »

Open services.msc and set "Windows Media Player Network Sharing", "HTTP SSL", "Universal Plug and Play Device Host", and "SSDP Discovery" all to Automatic. Then set up sharing in WMP.

I think some antivirus/firewall turns off UPNP and SSDP by default.

Rk.

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(gainpresence @ Jan 7 2008, 11:54 AM) View Post

Open services.msc and set "Windows Media Player Network Sharing", "HTTP SSL", "Universal Plug and Play Device Host", and "SSDP Discovery" all to Automatic. Then set up sharing in WMP.

I think some antivirus/firewall turns off UPNP and SSDP by default.

yabba dabba dooo!!!!!!!

B-BALL

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »

gainpresence you are the best had it working one day and then i got this problem and this sorted it straight away

ninjagaidendb

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »

gainpresence your awesome I have been looking everywhere for a solution and I finally found one Thanks so much.

XxWickedxX

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 03:53:00 AM »

I was having this same problem. Then gainpresence post got me moving forward and being able to enable everything the xbox said needed done. I did this for both my desktop and laptop all on the same wireless network. Though I have now successfully enabled sharing in WMP 11 the xbox still will not recognize a selected pc during the connection test. I am just lost at this point. As well the computers are on and the WMP 11 is running. I do not understand what to do now. There is no further guidance on the more info section of anything else that is needed. I am using a wireless connection on a secure network which I have entered the WEP key for. Just lost and looking for any guidance anyone might have...

Thanks.

XxWickedxX

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(XxWickedxX @ Nov 19 2008, 06:29 AM) View Post

I was having this same problem. Then gainpresence post got me moving forward and being able to enable everything the xbox said needed done. I did this for both my desktop and laptop all on the same wireless network. Though I have now successfully enabled sharing in WMP 11 the xbox still will not recognize a selected pc during the connection test. I am just lost at this point. As well the computers are on and the WMP 11 is running. I do not understand what to do now. There is no further guidance on the more info section of anything else that is needed. I am using a wireless connection on a secure network which I have entered the WEP key for. Just lost and looking for any guidance anyone might have...

Thanks.

Quoting my own post above there I would like to add that I have easily managed to connect my laptop to the xbox for media sharing with no problems. This was after I ran a xbox live connection test to be prompted to download a major update. So I did and everything connected fine.  However my desktop I can still not get connected. Media sharing is set up in WMP 11 for it. I tried turning off the firewall to test it and that did not work. I then went to view my network connections. I had my already regular LAN connection I use on the daily bases and then popped up a new connection beside. I viewed the properties and it was the Xbox but the status was disabled. So I enabled the connection whilst the LAN still enabled and still the xbox is not recognizing that another computer is available on the network.. Been working on this for hours now and other things like getting my NAT to open but thats another topic all together.