xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Way To Play .iso Movies On 360  (Read 161 times)

hevnbnd

• Archived User
Best Way To Play .iso Movies On 360
« on: December 05, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »

I have about 500 movies saved as .iso  What is the best way to get the best quality and play these on my xbox360 besides buring each one to a dvd and playing them that way....  
Do I have to convert them to another file format? If so which one will produce the best quality and what app should I use to do this? Thanks in advance.

impimpin206

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »

Are they dvd format, just saved as ISO... or are they just files that have been saved as an image? You may be able to use daemon tools to mount the iso as a virtual drive, then load it through media center extender... but I'm not sure. Seems the only possible way to me, short of burning them. You could also convert them to divx, h264, or wmv.

hevnbnd

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply. They are iso that contain the vob files. I created the iso after extracting the vob files. I have not issue converting them I am just not sure what the best format to conver them to is. divx, h264, or wmv.  I want the best possible video and would love some 5.1 as well... But if my video has to suffer for 5.1 than 2.1 would be fine. So what should i convert too?

hevnbnd

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »

So anyone got any answers? Thanks

impimpin206

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »

I prefer WMV-HD for my conversions, the 360 handles it well and it offers 5.1 audio. If you're just using DVD source, you won't need to use HD resolutions obviously. There's a link in my sig for this, but it doesn't cover VOB files, although I think that TMPGEnc might support VOB these days. If not, just use something like dvd2avi or some other demuxer/frameserver

Edit: You'll want to set the output resolution to match your source; should be either 720x480 or 704x480

This post has been edited by impimpin206: Dec 6 2007, 06:36 PM

hevnbnd

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 12:13:00 AM »

anyone else got any input?

J^^

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 05:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(hevnbnd @ Dec 10 2007, 03:13 AM) *

anyone else got any input?

If they are vob why don't you just burn as dvd-video?

ze_olc

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 06:28:00 AM »

i've been using handbrake for a while, it's the best i could. it encodes the iso to h.264 which is a very powerful encoder. i use the appletv preset with bitrate at 2500, 2 pass and anamorphic. on my projector (720p), the resulting files look as good as the original dvd for about about half the size. i have a 500gb hdd and i play my movies from there.

MaxP

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 06:36:00 AM »

Not sure if it fits in with your setup...
my set up is MCE2005 on host PC and 360 connected via Media center.

to get from DVD to watchable file in minimal time.

mount iso in deamon tools.
use dvdshrink to rip the main movie and 5.1 audio (sub 10 mins)
make sure you UNCHECK the option in dvd to split vob files to 1gb.
you end up with a single large .vob containing just the movie/audio
rename to .MPG and play via media center.

this is quick and fast method, but it has a couple of drawbacks.
you dont seem to get any forward/rewind controls.
i have had a couple of converted files that would crash during playback.
you would have to have a AC3 filter installed on the MCE host.
(comes with most codec packs)

Achtung

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 07:57:00 AM »

Using Media centre 2005 after last years spring update I was able to just navigate to an ISO image and play it without any issue not using any transcoding or anything.

Then I had to do a windows re-load a few months ago and I've have never been able to get an ISO image to play as it did before, I have no idea what I did or what I had set for it to do that but it worked 100% before.

Now I upgraded my system and put Vista 64 on (needed it for DX10) I can't stand media player through this I cant even see ISO images to transcode as the stupid wizard controls everything.

RampageUT

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Achtung @ Dec 10 2007, 08:57 AM) View Post

Using Media centre 2005 after last years spring update I was able to just navigate to an ISO image and play it without any issue not using any transcoding or anything.

Then I had to do a windows re-load a few months ago and I've have never been able to get an ISO image to play as it did before, I have no idea what I did or what I had set for it to do that but it worked 100% before.

Now I upgraded my system and put Vista 64 on (needed it for DX10) I can't stand media player through this I cant even see ISO images to transcode as the stupid wizard controls everything.

You don't play iso images. They are just "pictures" of the cd/dvd. You must mount them or burn them first. Maybe you had some plugin in Windows Media Center that did this for you, but I don't understand why you just don't mount them with daemon tools like every one has been suggesting. Several type of programs/ videos come in .iso its just a method of preserving the contents of a dvd. They also have to be burned in a special format, which can be done for free with ImgBurn or with Nero. Most burning software can handle it.

Achtung

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(RampageUT @ Dec 10 2007, 09:52 PM) View Post

You don't play iso images. They are just "pictures" of the cd/dvd. You must mount them or burn them first. Maybe you had some plugin in Windows Media Center that did this for you, but I don't understand why you just don't mount them with daemon tools like every one has been suggesting. Several type of programs/ videos come in .iso its just a method of preserving the contents of a dvd. They also have to be burned in a special format, which can be done for free with ImgBurn or with Nero. Most burning software can handle it.

Wow you’re saying an ISO is a image of a DVD/CD and I can burn them and play it in my 360...   blink.gif

I understand what and how ISO's work, I was just stating that before I was able to run an ISO without mounting or transcoding with Media Centre 2005. It would see the images and I could literally play them right from the video menu and I had no plugins that were mounting it.

I understand I can mount it and stream it with daemon tools or burn it the fact of my post was that I was able to do this without doing so and if anyone else had done this before.

RampageUT

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(Achtung @ Dec 10 2007, 03:34 PM) View Post

Wow you’re saying an ISO is a image of a DVD/CD and I can burn them and play it in my 360...   blink.gif

I understand what and how ISO's work, I was just stating that before I was able to run an ISO without mounting or transcoding with Media Centre 2005. It would see the images and I could literally play them right from the video menu and I had no plugins that were mounting it.

I understand I can mount it and stream it with daemon tools or burn it the fact of my post was that I was able to do this without doing so and if anyone else had done this before.

Well I personally am running Vista 32 ultimate, and I haven't seen any way to do what you are asking for. It could just be a WMCE feature.

hevnbnd

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 09:34:00 PM »

So can I mount say 500 ISOs ? I am wanting something simple so that my kids can browse the movies that are on my computer from the 360 and click play... I do NOT want to burn each disk everytime one is needed. I want to be able to pause rewind everything from the 360 is this asking to much...

sirreco

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 03:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(hevnbnd @ Dec 11 2007, 05:34 AM) View Post

So can I mount say 500 ISOs ? I am wanting something simple so that my kids can browse the movies that are on my computer from the 360 and click play... I do NOT want to burn each disk everytime one is needed. I want to be able to pause rewind everything from the 360 is this asking to much...

I dont think you can do that with the 360 (at least not yet), I think the best solution for you would be using XBMC.  I do that with it and works perfectly.

XBMC still a far better media player then 360.
Pages: [1] 2