xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Best Buy Replaces Backordered 99usd Toshiba HD-A2s with HD-A3s  (Read 150 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Best Buy Replaces Backordered 99usd Toshiba HD-A2s with HD-A3s
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:46:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 4 00:10 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From dailytech.com:

Best Buy's latest move may be one of the best yet for "devil customers."
It was reported yesterday on DailyTech that Wal-Mart would have the Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player on sale for $98.97 Friday morning. Best Buy followed suit by offering the HD-A2 online and in-store for $99.99.

As one might imagine, Best Buy stores were quickly depleted of stock and BestBuy.com was hammered with excess orders. Although some orders were able to get through, an overwhelming majority of customers who purchased HD-A2s from BestBuy.com received backorder notices.

Given that the HD-A2 is now discontinued, one would have expected that Best Buy would just cancel all of the orders and be done with it -- but you would be wrong. Best Buy instead is replacing all backordered HD-A2 players with the new third-generation HD-A3 which retails for $299.99.

Full Story: dailytech.com

MysticalMagnet

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »

dude this is insane who would think best buy would do something like this and there are deff. losing money on this maybe someone is paying them to do this

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »

yeah, sounds unheard of.

I hate bestbuy more than any retailer in the US, so this is a shock to hear that they are taking care of their customers like this.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(MysticalMagnet @ Nov 4 2007, 12:30 AM) View Post

dude this is insane who would think best buy would do something like this and there are deff. losing money on this maybe someone is paying them to do this

Probably not.  Best buy has a huge markup, they probably get them for like $60-100 a piece.  Most things you look at at Best Buy cept PCs and laptops especially are marked up about 60%

Some items could be less such as video game consoles and other devices, but most items they make a good profit on.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:24:00 AM »

I don't like the way this is sounding. The $99 Hi Def player was I believed to be a permanent feature at that price point, so bringing Hi Def to everyone. It is starting to look a lot like a one off to get rid of stock.But with no replacement at that price point. No different to what Sony is doing with the 60GB PS3.
The replacement model being more expensive.
Lucky people that got one.

GeToChKn

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 03:52:00 AM »

I thought $199 was going to be the permanent price for the season and the $99 price point was just a pre-black Friday kind of sale.  They are probably hoping to make money on the attach products such as cables and more movies.  It's the attach products that make these places money.  On consoles, they don't really make anything, that's why most consoles are about the same price, but if a store does do something different, they give you free games or something else with it.  Future Shop in canada just had a special on the 360 where they gave away the guitar hero 2 bundle with it for free.  Now since GH3 is out, their GH2 stock isn't going to sell, and they probably have huge markup on that, so give it away to get people in the store, maybe buy an extra controller at huge markup, another game at markup and the free GH2 is paid for.   I get lots of stuff wholesale and accessories is where the markup is.  Best wholesaler I found for consoles is like 10 or 15 bucks cheaper than best buy/future shop stores and that's not even including shipping it to me, so I'd loose trying to sell consoles and compete with them, but controllers and stuff, I can get and undercut them and still make a profit.

bigghek

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »

I wish I would have bought the a3 before I bought my 360 add-on.........

nha

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »

Why don't we get offers like this in the uk?  sleep.gif

tsantsa

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 4 2007, 01:00 PM) View Post

I don't like the way this is sounding. The $99 Hi Def player was I believed to be a permanent feature at that price point, so bringing Hi Def to everyone. It is starting to look a lot like a one off to get rid of stock.But with no replacement at that price point. No different to what Sony is doing with the 60GB PS3.
The replacement model being more expensive.
Lucky people that got one.

Well, either way the market just got flooded with 100k+ HD-DVD players.  That's alot for one or two days of sale.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(tsantsa @ Nov 4 2007, 05:51 PM) View Post

Well, either way the market just got flooded with 100k+ HD-DVD players.  That's alot for one or two days of sale.

It is obviously not enough as these seem to be disappearing fast. If there is no more to come what then?

Why don't we get offers like this in the uk?

Exactly

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »

The a2 was an end of stock item, and Walmart and BB were clearing them out. They knew they were discontinued items. For me.. this is closer to bait and switch than it is a good deal from Best Buy.

Now people will need to decide do they want to pay 300 for a player.. instead of 100.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 4 2007, 11:00 AM)

It is starting to look a lot like a one off to get rid of stock.But with no replacement at that price point. No different to what Sony is doing with the 60GB PS3.

With the difference that the 'successor' to the PS3 is looking to have less functionality than the 60GB version.

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 4 2007, 06:49 PM) View Post

It is obviously not enough as these seem to be disappearing fast.

Totally different to what Sony is doing with the 60GB PS3!

SueMiBlitch

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »

good for best buy for careing for its customers

but this also begs to ask the question how much are they buying the A3s for...
but this should strengthen their loyal cutomer base and they might make any loses back from HD DVD sales