xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Microsoft Exec Says Company Isn't Trying to Fuel HD Format War  (Read 293 times)

itchy

• Archived User
Microsoft Exec Says Company Isn't Trying to Fuel HD Format War
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 04:38:00 AM »

Not forcing an HD drive onto the consumer is the way to go, however I feel that games will need more than 8gb in size down the road.  In fact the Assasin's Creed developer slipped and mentioned it's a challenge getting that game on a DVD disc due to space constraints.  As game development matures more space will be needed.

By the way, for anyone with a PS3 I highly recommend trying the Ratchet & Clank game on an HDTV.  The graphics were about twice better than any 360 game, including GOW.  It's like playing in a Pixar movie.

http://www.psu.com/Ratchet-+-Clank-Future-...a0001388-p0.php

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 04:57:00 AM »

funny how the blu-ray folks have been very pissy lately throwing trash at HD-DVD while they keep saying that their "numbers" are superior...all the while HD-DVD players keep getting cheaper and cheaper and are finding their way into more homes...the blu-ray folks are starting to sound like they are desperate and going down on a sinking ship (albeit very slowly).

MS doesn't have to fuel the "war" nor should they care with their deep selection of Hi-Def online content, which is the real way of the future...forget optical format distribution...we will all have HD content on-demand in just a few short years for all of our choices (right now there is already a huge amount of movies and TV shows already available on-demand)...

This post has been edited by 794: Today, 12:58 PM

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Nov 3 2007, 05:52 AM) View Post

Walmart and Best buy were selling the Toshiba A2 HD DVD player today for $100 bux.  Walmart was only today and Best Buy might still have it, but they probably sold out.  Only down part was they were only 1080i.  If HD DVD players get lower than Blue Ray faster they might get ahead.

My TV has a resolution of 1366x768 that means that playing content higher than 720p is worthless that's why i only need a cheap Hd Dvd Player that can output 720p and A2 can ouput 720p/1080i, if you ask me....this player is perfect for the consumer and i bet that you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p or if you prefer 1080i and 1080p (i prefer progressive content than interlaced one).

my 2c

QUOTE(itchy @ Nov 3 2007, 01:38 PM) View Post

Not forcing an HD drive onto the consumer is the way to go, however I feel that games will need more than 8gb in size down the road.  In fact the Assasin's Creed developer slipped and mentioned it's a challenge getting that game on a DVD disc due to space constraints.  As game development matures more space will be needed.

I think they are going to do the same as always, 2/3 DVD's = Cheaper to produce than a Blu-Ray Disc.

Anyone remember Far Cry for PC, you could install 1 DVD or 5 Cd's.

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(ludacrisvp @ Nov 3 2007, 11:28 AM) View Post

Please check your facts. SONY is NOT the only creator of Blu-Ray.
"Blu-ray Disc was started by Hitachi, LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Phillips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and Thomson in February 19, 2002"
Source - Blu-Ray Disc Association

You might want to check your own facts. Sony was prototyping the format 2 years before the Blur-Ray Disc Association was even created.

Sony started two projects applying the new diodes: UDO (Ultra Density Optical) and DVR Blue (together with Pioneer), a format of rewritable discs which would eventually become Blu-ray (more specifically, BD-RE)

The first DVR Blue prototypes were unveiled at the CEATEC exhibition in October 2000.

In February 2002, the project was officially announced as Blu-ray, and the Blu-ray Disc Association was founded by the nine initial members.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Blu-ray_Disc

Eddie_the_Hated

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 06:57:00 AM »

There's no doubt that Sony has a lot of weight behind Blu-Ray, but I can understand what he was trying to say. People are beginning assume that Sony & Microsoft are the only 2 factors in the format war, which is totally false. The two prominent factors? Maybe, but certainly not the only.

an 800-pound gorilla that would prefer to force us all into the practice of paying tolls for the right to exchange information and enjoy entertainment."

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So, back to this nonsense about whether or not Microsoft's trying to fuel an HD format war. This is a PR move on top of a bunch of PR moves, plain & simple. Whether they're trying to or not, there's 2 primary HD formats on the market at the moment, Blu-Ray & HD-DVD, and they're both fueling the flames of a format war.

It's an inevitability. Both companies want their product to become the dominant format, they're both going to push as hard as they can to make that happen. Whether they're trying to fuel a  format war or not, they're in competition, and therefore fueling the fire.

steveju

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(ludacrisvp @ Nov 3 2007, 10:28 AM) View Post
What is it about Blu-Ray that is so bad, aside from your personal vendetta against Sony?
HD DVD discs are cheaper to make, they are more resistant to wear and tear and the movies are 100% region free.

imdbowlgod

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »

id hd dvd discs are cheaper to make, why do all hd dvd movies cost 5-7 dollars more than blu-ray?

are they trying to make the money back on cheaper players?

1nsan3

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 09:57:00 AM »

Mike Dunn intimated that the format war is being perpetuated by Microsoft in the hopes of confusing consumers so much they don't support either format and ultimately buy their entertainment online.

sorry m$ i will never buy movies online. Go try to control someone elses living room.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 10:28:00 AM »

Haven't read all of this thread, but the news article makes sense, but I want a PS3 at Xmas, but I don't want to be locked into Blu-Ray so I'm getting a HD-DVD 360 drive as well just in case. I think Sony is fueling the format war by including the Blu-Ray drive in every PS3.

We have seen no games that take advantage of Blu-Ray (just developers filling them up with languages and uncompressed files) so a built in HD-DVD drive on the 360 would be useless and unnecessary..

I'm not flaming anyone here I'm just says Sony needs to keep there mouth shut or they will shoot them selves in the foot if they go wrong on Blu-Ray and ala PS3 gets a bad name..

So maybe this is working in MS's favour BIG TIME?

tester123

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 10:40:00 AM »

I have a PS3 and an XBox 360 and I prefer HDDVD's over Bluray. My 360 and PS3 both play back in 1080p via my projector, and both look great. Theres a crap load, and I mean crap load of extra content in HDdvd movies that Bluray movies doesn't have, like in movie special features (picture in picture) playback and in movie color changes to cars or other items to name few. My 360 HDDVD's play MUCH smoother as well.

I went ahead and ordered a 100$ HD-A2 for my Poineer elite that doesn't do 1080p. Should be a cheap and perfect match for each other. Now I can watch HD-DVD's on the pioneer.

I dont think the PS3 is getting it's ass kicked because they included a Bluray drive... they just dont have any games worth buying. Except for games that are going to 360 as well, and they look and play better on the 360 98% of the time.

Theres so many studios and retailers jumping the bluray ship... and China picking HDDVD format is a one two punch. If I was on the bluray camp (an investor) I would be frustrated too with all the setbacks. Those attacks are a sign of desperation.

Norco

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(ludacrisvp @ Nov 3 2007, 11:28 AM) View Post

Have you seen a Blu-Ray movie?
Do you have a Blu-Ray player?
What is it about Blu-Ray that is so bad, aside from your personal vendetta against Sony?
Can you show me some links to the Blu-Ray Group slandering the HD-DVD camp?

Sure you want proof? Re-read this article you're commenting.

Also, Sony earns royalties on all Blu Ray discs sold, so therefore I call it Sony's Blu Ray.

Mr N

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Knasen @ Nov 3 2007, 09:30 AM) View Post

For once I completely agree with MS, I bought a 360 to get a great gaming console for a reasonable price. If I wanted a HD player I will buy that separately later on. Sony is only pissed as their ps3 is selling like crap and want somebody to blame for their own mistakes.

RMM

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »

It is very hypocritical to try and slam MS for a format war when MS released their system without any type of Hi Def DVD drive and yet Sony is the one putting Blu-ray in their systems in an attempt to win this format war.  If you want a protagonist look no further than Sony because they have done far more than MS to fuel this war.

ludacrisvp

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(dvsone @ Nov 3 2007, 08:30 AM) View Post

You might want to check your own facts. Sony was prototyping the format 2 years before the Blur-Ray Disc Association was even created.
Sony started two projects applying the new diodes: UDO (Ultra Density Optical) and DVR Blue (together with Pioneer), a format of rewritable discs which would eventually become Blu-ray (more specifically, BD-RE)
The first DVR Blue prototypes were unveiled at the CEATEC exhibition in October 2000.
In February 2002, the project was officially announced as Blu-ray, and the Blu-ray Disc Association was founded by the nine initial members.
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Blu-ray_Disc

Well again you show a lack of knowledge, in your own quote you show that Pioneer was helping Sony with the DVR Blue that eventually became blu-ray in February 2002. Do you honestly think that those other 7 companies all joined on the same day in 2002? Highly unlikely... but if they were chances are they were most likely silent parters until they were ready to announce the project to the world under its real name.

QUOTE(steveju @ Nov 3 2007, 09:12 AM) View Post

HD DVD discs are cheaper to make, they are more resistant to wear and tear and the movies are 100% region free.

Region free is true, and the Blu-Ray has only 3 regions so it is not much of a big deal, besides how many movies do you watch from other regions? Have you looked at the blu-ray specifications? No you havent because if you had you would see that Blu-ray has Mandatory hard coating layer on the disc to protect it from wear and tear.

Can you provide a link that shows how much it costs to make both of them? Oh and keep in mind almost all HD-DVD movies are on the dual layer disc and 60% of blu-ray movies are still on the single layer disc.

QUOTE(Norco @ Nov 3 2007, 01:55 PM) View Post

Sure you want proof? Re-read this article you're commenting.

Also, Sony earns royalties on all Blu Ray discs sold, so therefore I call it Sony's Blu Ray.

You failed to answer the questions that I had asked of you. I fail to see how asking you if you have seen a Blu-Ray movie will be answered by re-reading the article, nor would it explain your grudge against sony and it doesnt answer if you have a blu-ray player.
And where were those links to the blu-ray disc association slandering the hddvd camp?

Matt Devo

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(bobbyblaze @ Nov 3 2007, 12:32 AM) View Post

Dude, for film material (24p) there is no difference. It will still be displayed as 1080p on a flat panel screen which can only display progressive. It's like saying a dime is better than 2 nickels. They are worth the same.

Rather than transfer the information in 24 whole frames, a 1080i player will transfer the information in 48 half frames to the tv set. The tv set pieces them back together and shows them as they should be ie. 1080p. Whether the player or the tv does the deinterlacing makes no difference.

Pages: 1 [2] 3