xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Microsoft Exec Says Company Isn't Trying to Fuel HD Format War  (Read 295 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft Exec Says Company Isn't Trying to Fuel HD Format War
« on: November 02, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 2 21:01 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From homemediamagazine.com:

In response to this week's Blu-ray Disc Festival in Los Angeles, Kevin Collins, director in the Microsoft Consumer Media Technology Group, defended the company's backing of the next-generation HD DVD format.
"The [Blu-ray] camp's claims about Microsoft's desire to have a format war are baseless," Collins said. "Microsoft has over 100 people working on HD DVD interactivity and we believe that HD DVD is the next-generation optical format."

During a presentation to journalists and home theater enthusiasts at the Blu-ray Festival earlier in the week, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment worldwide president Mike Dunn intimated that the format war is being perpetuated by Microsoft in the hopes of confusing consumers so much they don't support either format and ultimately buy their entertainment online. He didn't mention the computer giant by name, but blasted "the orchestrated campaigns of confusion and anti-consumerism fueled by an 800-pound gorilla that would prefer to force us all into the practice of paying tolls for the right to exchange information and enjoy entertainment."

Collins said Microsoft did not and will not bundle the HD DVD drive in Xbox 360 because the company believes that gamers are first and foremost gamers.
"If you look historically at the attach rates (i.e. the number of DVDs purchased per DVD player) you will see that game consoles have a single-digit attach rate, while dedicated DVD players have an attach rate in the mid-20s," said Collins. "Microsoft knew if we put in an HD DVD drive that we would have to raise costs and disenfranchise our customers (that are primarily gamers) as the unit would become too expensive."

Full Story: homemediamagazine.com

TechPagan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »

First post...W00t!  So what if MSFT is backing HD DVD.  If they feel that technology is the future than who am I to argue.  They pretty much set the standard.

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »

Wow, M$ was really straight to the point with their comments, and didn't seem to be holding back on the blows.  I'm impressed.

All I read anymore is that Blu-Ray is killing HD-DVD in sales, but I guess if you compare that to how many people actually own the players and are actually buying the movies, it's still no comparison.

codecxbox

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »

There go'es the only movie maker willing to do Halo,,,LOL!!

thor99

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »

Hmm.. Did any1 pay attention to the last paragraph in the original article...? "Such as the $169 HD DVD player at Sears for Black Friday"... So for any1 needing a good deal on a HD DVD...

SueMiBlitch

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »

seems to me that the competition always slanders M$ while M$ never slanders its competition. when they respond to some moron saying they suck in something they usually say why they believe what they are doing and promote it.... thats smart and and thats class

HD DVD is the cheaper way to go (getting players and all) but the thing is until everyone has a big as HDTV you won't see the difference you supposedly paid for

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »

Walmart and Best buy were selling the Toshiba A2 HD DVD player today for $100 bux.  Walmart was only today and Best Buy might still have it, but they probably sold out.  Only down part was they were only 1080i.  If HD DVD players get lower than Blue Ray faster they might get ahead.

This post has been edited by BoNg420: Nov 3 2007, 04:53 AM

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »

People are still complaining about the 360 not having the HD drive?

Idiots.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I and probably many others would be without a 360 in our living room had this happened.

You wanna watch a movie put it in a DVD Player, leave the 360 alone to do what it does best. Play games. (insert RRoD insult here)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

bobbyblaze

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Nov 3 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post

Only down part was they were only 1080i.  I

Dude, for film material (24p) there is no difference. It will still be displayed as 1080p on a flat panel screen which can only display progressive. It's like saying a dime is better than 2 nickels. They are worth the same.

Rather than transfer the information in 24 whole frames, a 1080i player will transfer the information in 48 half frames to the tv set. The tv set pieces them back together and shows them as they should be ie. 1080p. Whether the player or the tv does the deinterlacing makes no difference.

Norco

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »

Is it just me or are the Blu-Ray backers the biggest shit talkers on the block? I back the HD-DVD horse because I don't like Sony's way of doing things, simple as that. It seems that BluRay constantly tries to find ways to slander the HD-DVD camp, as if thats going to create more consumers to go BluRay. It all gets old...

tummybanana

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 01:51:00 AM »

its a good point about not including the hd dvd in the 360 cost wise, and this is why the ps3 is doing so badly, cripplingly expensive with a drive that barely anyone uses
even more hilarious is the trouble these bd fans will have trying to play any home authored stuff...linkypooh

and they call it a superior format

hd dvd for the win guys!

Knasen

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »

For once I completely agree with MS, I bought a 360 to get a great gaming console for a reasonable price. If I wanted a HD player I will buy that separately later on. Sony is only pissed as their ps3 is selling like crap and want somebody to blame for their own mistakes.

steveju

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 01:58:00 AM »

I don't get, is why people are acting so suprised about the <$200 price tag.

This whole "format war" seems kinda funny, but I must say that I hope that Toshiba/HD DVD wins this one for three reasons:
1. It's not Sony
2. Cheaper writable media for consumers
3. HD DVDs can withstand way more wear and tear than Blu-Ray discs ever could

the soul poet

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 04:28:00 AM »

Sell Cheap writable HD-DVD discs and recorders and you will have your format winner.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

This post has been edited by the soul poet: Nov 3 2007, 11:28 AM

ludacrisvp

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 03:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Norco @ Nov 3 2007, 02:36 AM) View Post

Is it just me or are the Blu-Ray backers the biggest shit talkers on the block? I back the HD-DVD horse because I don't like Sony's way of doing things, simple as that. It seems that BluRay constantly tries to find ways to slander the HD-DVD camp, as if thats going to create more consumers to go BluRay. It all gets old...

Please check your facts. SONY is NOT the only creator of Blu-Ray.
"Blu-ray Disc was started by Hitachi, LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Phillips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and Thomson in February 19, 2002"
Source - Blu-Ray Disc Association

It would be mighty wise of you to do some research on the topic at hand instead of just saying "oh its made by Sony and I hate Sony so I will not give it a chance." You will find out that there are several major companies that started the Blu-Ray project and there are hundreds of companies that are supporting it.

Oh What really gets old is the people that are unwilling to accept a product because they think it is made by one company that they have a grudge against, Sony is NOT the only company to develop Blu-Ray.

Have you seen a Blu-Ray movie?
Do you have a Blu-Ray player?
What is it about Blu-Ray that is so bad, aside from your personal vendetta against Sony?
Can you show me some links to the Blu-Ray Group slandering the HD-DVD camp?

@tummybanana - Well how much is an elite 360? Amazon.com has it at 449.99 then add on the HD-DVD drive for 179.99 and you have 629.98 plus tax shipping etc
40gb PS3 amazon.com 399.99 Blu-Ray drive standard, and if you want to a 120gb 2.5 inch drive can be had for 79.99 @ amazon.com, and you can also have built in wifi and it doesn't cost 100.00
in other words cost is not a factor in this discussion, why did i pick the elite because it was the first to have an hdmi port on it, and the hdmi enabled pro would also be more expensive than the ps3 even with the 120gb hdd.
barely anyone uses blu-ray drives hmmm.... can you provide a source to prove that?
Pages: [1] 2 3