xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rumor: Repaired Xbox360 Comes with IPTV Features?  (Read 262 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Rumor: Repaired Xbox360 Comes with IPTV Features?
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | October 27 01:01 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From xbox360fanboy.com:

We just learned that Aaron just got his 360 back from Microsoft repair this week. We also know that his dash version isn't any different than the one that is already out (2.0.5787.0) leading us to believe that his 360 doesn't have the Fall update. But the new options are definitely related to the IPTV service as more options were discovered in his 360's settings.

We investigated and noticed that this new TV icon option wasn't normal and replaced the "Video Marketplace" option that we see on our dash. The second thing we noticed was that, when hovered over, the description for the mysterious TV icon option reads:
    * Use television services. Live & recorded TV
    * On-demand movies
    * Chat while watching TV

Sounds like IPTV options to us. Once clicked, an error message pops up stating that it was "unable to start" and to contact support at www.microsoft.com/tv. That URL will take you to Microsoft's Mediaroom website ... also interesting.

Full Story: xbox360fanboy.com

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »

So how would you record programs with the 360? What would you input to it?

gaming fanboy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(dokworm @ Oct 27 2007, 06:11 AM) View Post

So how would you record programs with the 360? What would you input to it?

stream over xbox live i would assume ? or usb adapter for tv, or something ?

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:28:00 AM »

well m$ said iptv 360 was due out at the end of the year. guess they gave it to him early. and yes iptv is streaming tv channels using your net connetion. weather this service will be free something like joost or pay is yet to be known.

This post has been edited by luther349: Oct 27 2007, 09:30 AM

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 03:33:00 AM »

I think the service will be free, cos you'd already have to be paying for Live to get the IPTV in the first place...I think.

And i dont think it should say rumour. While it kinda is, those are good shots and not photoshopped or anything, but it isnt really confirmed either, so I guess it suits.

I'm interested to see what kinda bandwidth this stuff uses. I used joost a little while ago and it amazed me with the quality, but the lack of good shows made me bored of it. I'm in australia, and the max ADSL 1 speed u can get it 8000kbps. If u get ADSL 2 it can go up to 24k, but u have to be near the exchange. Though I'm on 1.5mbps and joost runs fine, so im pretty confident this will run well. It will just chew up my bandwidth and download limit.

I'd like this though. If it was standard TV channels or different ones, it'd beat the 5 free to air channels we have here in Aus. I never watch them anyway.

But my rants are meaningless. Continue with the legit discussion

disrockerdude

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »

hmm. interesting.. i sent in my xbox a few weeks ago to microsoft. should be here any day now. i wonder if i have it too.. lol

Thundar2

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »

I got a promt to update, anyone know what looks new on this one?

This post has been edited by Thundar2: Oct 27 2007, 02:13 PM

peasofcrap

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »

there is a new fall update out?

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »

Wouldnt be the fall update- we'd have known about it. I just turned my 360 on and didnt get asked to update. Im pretty sure if people did, they'd be coming here so we'd know about it. So i dont have any idea why just u would have an update...

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »

360 dashbaord = New place for M$ bloatware  rolleyes.gif

koolkid1935

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

First off, to even use the IPTV service with the Xbox 360, you will need to subscribe to an IPTV service that is already using Microsoft's IPTV software.  Here is a list of current providers that are using Microsoft's software:

These companies are trialing Microsoft's IPTV software:
  • Bell-Canada
  • Chunghwa Telecom-Taiwan
  • CNC-China
  • Reliance-India
  • Telecom Italia-Italy
  • Telekom?-South Africa
  • Wind-Italy

The complete list can be seen here: http://www.microsoftmediaroom.com/#/tv

As for bandwidth consumption, U-verse uses 8Mb/s for a HD channel (soon to be 6.5) and 2Mb/s for a SD channel.  U-verse uses VDSL, and the modem is synced at 27Mb/s to the DSLAM.

bone135

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »

(I keep running into you everywhere KoolKid.)

Yes what KoolKid said is right.  Now I just got my ATT uverse canceled, for a combination of reason.  First all the downtime of the set top boxes (running windows CE), the lack of reliability.  Maybe the boxes sucked because they were running windows?  Maybe the 360 will start to crash just as much.  From my experience, I consider ATT Uverse to still be in beta testing, even though they have roughly 126,000 customers.  Just for example, last week their was a nationwide outage where no uverse customers could watch anything but locals, and maybe a few other channels.  And then I call twice to get a credit and both times I am told the computer systems are down.

All I am saying is proceed with caution, because historically when you have sat down and turned on the TV video comes on, but with this service that doesn't always happen.  Are you prepared to turn on the TV and not have anything show up?  It should be getting better, but for the month and a half I was a customer I didn't see one update.

theevilhacker63

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »

found this while searching over the m$ media site.. http://www.microsoftmediaroom.com/#/games/

and if you go to the games tab you'll get this                                                                                                                                        

"Get the best in TV plus the best in gaming, together. Microsoft Mediaroom will soon be available through the hottest gaming console in the market today—the Xbox 360™. Play the latest video games or watch TV while chatting with your Xbox buddies. And Xbox Live enables a whole new way to connect with friends and entertainment—all over your television."

i guess that about sums it up

This post has been edited by theevilhacker63: Oct 27 2007, 03:56 PM

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »

One more reason why I got the Elite tongue.gif

Big Al

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »

It's almost November.   At what point is the fall update going to be the winter update?
Pages: [1] 2