xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Acer to remain vendor-neutral in Blu-ray vs HD DVD  (Read 74 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Acer to remain vendor-neutral in Blu-ray vs HD DVD
« on: September 07, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | September 7 23:10 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From techspot.com:

It seems that reports last week about Acer choosing to stick with Blu-ray as a preferred supported medium may have been too much in haste. The HD DVD camp has issued a press release saying that Acer has joined their promotional group as well, making Acer a "vendor-neutral" supplier.

Full Story: techspot.com

proger

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure that acer has released more laptops and computers with HD-DVD drives.

elmo_sni

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(proger @ Sep 7 2007, 11:26 PM) View Post

I'm pretty sure that acer has released more laptops and computers with HD-DVD drives.

agreed... that previous artical was complete bull

xboxgamer999

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

It's a shame that the general public for the most part doesn't have hd ready av receivers that are capable of decoding the new hd audio formats without reverting to core processing, people are starting to get into the hd tv displays as they are starting to come down in price. I figure, as both electronics became more readily available  
people well start to see the strengths and weaknesses of both formats more clearly and hopefully end this retarded format war that seems to have no end in sight.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(xboxgamer999 @ Sep 8 2007, 06:59 AM) View Post
It's a shame that the general public for the most part doesn't have hd ready av receivers that are capable of decoding the new hd audio formats without reverting to core processing, people are starting to get into the hd tv displays as they are starting to come down in price. I figure, as both electronics became more readily available  
people well start to see the strengths and weaknesses of both formats more clearly and hopefully end this retarded format war that seems to have no end in sight.
Are you trying to say that HD-DVD's audio is better?  Audio-wise they are both the same, depending on what audio track the studios decide to put on each movie release.  

HDMI 1.3 + decoding the new formats isn't absolutely essential in a receiver, because you can have the player decode the audio track and send it as multichannel linear PCM to the receiver (no quality loss).

I think both formats will be around for a long time.  I'm getting ready to buy a HD-DVD add-on for use with my PC.

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »

i don't know why any manufacturer would not be neutral in this split format issue...but then again i do not fully understand the financial percentages and bonuses that are tucked into all of the "exclusivity" contracts...

Eddie_the_Hated

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »

i don't know why any manufacturer would not be neutral in this split format issue...but then again i do not fully understand the financial percentages and bonuses that are tucked into all of the "exclusivity" contracts...

Revenue. Sure they might get a one time "bonus" for making the jump to one or the other, but if they do a pretty good trade in both formats it'd be a poor marketing move to ditch one format, especially this (relatively) early in the format war.

Edit: Whoops! Misread your OP dude. My bad.

This post has been edited by Eddie_the_Hated: Sep 17 2007, 08:41 PM