xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Microsoft debuts Extenders for Windows Media Center, adds DivX and Xvi  (Read 424 times)

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
Microsoft debuts Extenders for Windows Media Center, adds DivX and Xvi
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »

Even if the 360 gets Divx/Xvid support I'll still use my XBMC box for all my media needs. My Xbox1 runs way quieter/cooler and XBMC has a ton more useful features/options/viewing and audio tweeks than the 360 will ever have.

noob2modding

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Sep 6 2007, 04:12 PM) View Post

Even if the 360 gets Divx/Xvid support I'll still use my XBMC box for all my media needs. My Xbox1 runs way quieter/cooler and XBMC has a ton more useful features/options/viewing and audio tweeks than the 360 will ever have.

XBMC FTW!  laugh.gif

zerolimit21

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »

I think if they do add the xvid and divx support they will sell alot more consoles! We will see what happends!

dmitri

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(DMAddict @ Sep 6 2007, 05:24 AM) View Post

Somehow, I feel a catch coming with it. We'll see.

You mean aside from the fact that they keep inventory of every video file you play each time you logon to live?   biggrin.gif

PS..  to get this functionality they'll upgrade the software on the media center (XP, Vista).  It won't be in the hardware.  That's how the Xbox 360 works with Vista..

So wait for the next XP/Vista media center upgrade, you might just see divx working on your xbox.

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »

I believe when I see it - I didn't see any official confirmation anywhere. Besides, I also agree about 360 noise. If you can't here it - it's because they use two different types of fans. One is loud, the other is near silent on the dashboard. Important if your using it for media, not so for games.

One lesson Microsoft can't seem to learn.

SuperStition

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »

Well see, if they finish this, and do h264 for 360, then no need for media enter on 360 from orig.

orijonl

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(dmitri @ Sep 6 2007, 03:24 PM) *

PS..  to get this functionality they'll upgrade the software on the media center (XP, Vista).  It won't be in the hardware.  That's how the Xbox 360 works with Vista..

So wait for the next XP/Vista media center upgrade, you might just see divx working on your xbox.

I don't believe this is true, because I can play divx/xvid files on my Vista Media Center machine.  I believe this is a feature inherent to the Media Center Extender.  

...That also explains why this is news

Kenwa

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »

What happens is they implement a feature to stop the success of the timing attack, with this update. So now you choose... XVID and DIVX support or timing attack. One of the main reasons I want homebrew on the 360 is so i can play XVID and DIVX. Now when they stop the timing attack, do i go out and buy a new console so I can have a hackable box and a live box, or do i just update and not worry about it because I can now play XVID and DIVX, and I'm excited.

Is this what Microsoft is expecting? To challenge us with this question?

NYCXBOX

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistednailsofv @ Sep 6 2007, 04:58 AM) View Post

First off... i would gladly want all these codecs.. but, what you said is Piracy... making a copy of a TV w/o the expressed permission of the content holder aka NBC's Office, if you didn't get NBC's permission and made a copy, then yeah that's at minimal piracy. But piracy now-a-days... they focus on mass sharing rather than
people sitting at home and catching up on episodes of LOST... people make money off commericals the TV Shows has... if you strip it away your taking away the primary purpose on how they support the company. But if your saying I made myself a backup of a show, you don't own... it's piracy, check the laws of record, just because people don't enforce them, doesn't mean i's not a law.

still i wouldn't use anything to high rate or highly compressed on a 360... just cause the ram and gpu are in the same area... and most likely kill itself, trying to produce the video... the original Xbox, was way more stable than the 360, both in hardware and software...

So basicly - your saying that people who used a VCR to record a TV show and pressed pause each time a commercial came on then unpaused when the show came back - just so they had they favorate show on Tape with no commercials is committing piracy?  I THINK NOT.  Its the same thing.  I used my PC as a TIVO - I take the Reorded file - Pull out the commercials and use the final product as my archive of the show I recorded.  Some thing.  Not Piracy - called fair use - as long as I don't distribute that file it's 100% legal.   The Home recording act gives me every right to record TV shows.  There is no clause that says I have to KEEP the COMMERCIALS in there on my recording.  Se weather Im ussing a VCR, a DVR, a TIVO or a WMC PC - I have the right to record what ever I want off of all Broadcast and SOME CABLE TV stations and archive it into my collection for my own purposes.  Don't tell me it's minimal piracy or anything like that.  It's 100% legal.  Now the issue here is that Codecs like .MKV are used by TV CAPPERS then the show is uploaded to the torrets and P2P - becuase those codec's keep great quality and resolution while making it a file size that is easy to distribute.  If I use my WMC PC or TIVO to record TV - Strip the file in a time line editor of the commercials then use a Codec like .MKV to re-encode the show w/o the commercials, so it save space in my digtal libray, there is a LEGIT USE for that codec as I did not encode it to distribution.  100% legal - don't tell me otherwise

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »

Interesting discussion.

Let's keep it to the topic on hand.. the inclusion of 2 codec's that have been previously verboten on the extenders.

(keep the ethical piracy talk out of this topic)

Adding full Divx and Xvid support.. assuming it's full will be nice and will please many. I dunno if it's enough to make me stop using my xbox/XMBC machines but it'll go along way to that end if they do include it in a usable and useful fashion.

I think the fall update is going to shake some things up (especially if they manage to squeeze this in.)

boyzinho666

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »

what about subtitles

xboxgamer999

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(HSDEMONZ @ Sep 6 2007, 07:03 PM) View Post

Interesting discussion.

Let's keep it to the topic on hand.. the inclusion of 2 codec's that have been previously verboten on the extenders.

(keep the ethical piracy talk out of this topic)

Adding full Divx and Xvid support.. assuming it's full will be nice and will please many. I dunno if it's enough to make me stop using my xbox/XMBC machines but it'll go along way to that end if they do include it in a usable and useful fashion.

I think the fall update is going to shake some things up (especially if they manage to squeeze this in.)

I agree. although MS can only keep updating the kernal for so long until they reach a point where they can't update anymore with regards to the Fuses. Can anyone please confirm what is the size is for kernal updates or if there is a limit on the size of a kernal, just to get an idea if any as weather or not MS can update without limits or if there is indeed a limit, which I happen to believe there is.

llsTixll

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Sep 7 2007, 01:12 AM) View Post

Same here but just use the XBOX360 for the HD videos.

GearHead420

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »

xbmc is still better... =)

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxgamer999 @ Sep 6 2007, 06:38 PM) View Post

I agree. although MS can only keep updating the kernal for so long until they reach a point where they can't update anymore with regards to the Fuses. Can anyone please confirm what is the size is for kernal updates or if there is a limit on the size of a kernal, just to get an idea if any as weather or not MS can update without limits or if there is indeed a limit, which I happen to believe there is.

fuses are not blown with every update and the "limit" will never ever be close to being reached in the lifetime of the console...or any of our lives for that matter...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4