xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Microsoft debuts Extenders for Windows Media Center, adds DivX and Xvi  (Read 427 times)

twistednailsofv

• Archived User
Microsoft debuts Extenders for Windows Media Center, adds DivX and Xvi
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 01:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(majo2000 @ Sep 6 2007, 03:49 AM) *

I think much much much People will buy the Console when they hear it can playback Xvid and DivX.
But also in my opinion x264 and mkv are also some codecs that should by played from the xbox360.
i think they will sell 20% more Konsoles...

cheers...

I highly doubt it... unlike DiVX and XViD... people actually use those codecs for legitmate reason...

as for this guys x264, the xbox supports it, but no in the .MKV container... you'd probably have to convert it over to another format... try checking out TMPGenc Xpress, and try those file outputs...

but to question at point, I haven't seen or even heard of anyone using a .MKV format for other than Piracy... until it can prove it's a legitimate codec or form, i HIGHLY doubt they'd support it... plus it's a lot processing in the .MKV format... you'd probably see a lot of RRoD cuz of it... but this is all my two cents...

killerkeef

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 02:01:00 AM »

Too bad the 360 is too loud to comfortably watch a movie. I'll stick to my Xbmc with my 80mm fan mod.

DuggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 02:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heet @ Sep 6 2007, 07:58 AM) *

I'll still use xbmc.  Reliable and quiet.

Struggles with high def  files though. for people like me who have a basic (non -cpu upgraded xbox1) this would be ideal.

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 02:33:00 AM »

Right, I was talking about the topic addressing xvid and divx.  I was saying i'll keep using the xbox and xbmc for that.

This post has been edited by Heet: Sep 6 2007, 09:34 AM

NYCXBOX

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 02:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(DuggyUK @ Sep 6 2007, 04:03 AM) *

Struggles with high def  files though. for people like me who have a basic (non -cpu upgraded xbox1) this would be ideal.

I have a 1.4ghz 128MB Xbox (DreamX) - I had one a few years back and It played HD Divx and MKV perfectly.  I sold my DreamX and it took me a Year to find another one.   - Once I got it back I updated to the newest XBMC and the one I was Using on my old DreamX before i sold it (made a copy of the HDD).  Both XBMC's Played the HD DIVX and MKV perfectly for the files that were 2 years old.  All the newer MKV and HD Divx Files for TV show encodes that were current did not play at all - studdered just like they would on a regular Xbox. Guess HD DIVX and MKV encodes are higher bitrate now?

I really wish M$ would embrace ALL THE CODECs THEY CAN GET THEIR HANDS ON - if a codec like MKV or whatever other one is used basicly "just for Piracy" It don't mean people don't ligitimately encode there own stuff to MKV or whatever.  IF I capture HD content from TV and then I strip the commercials and reencode the uncompressed stream to MKV and keep it in a folder on my HDD - is it really Piracy?  I don't think so - I capture alot of TV and Strip commercials and Encode it to CODEC of my choice for ARCHIVAL Purposes - as long as I don't distribute its fair use.  There is no law that says I can't capture TV shows and keep them in a digital format for myself for use later on.

Anyways - I really Hope Xvid and DivX support comes to 360 - Since the newer MKV stuff don't play well on XBMC, if its added to 360 or not who cares its a mute point - Once they add that to the 360 - XBMC is pretty much Extinct for video playback.  It's gonna hurt to retire my XBMC Xbox.

twistednailsofv

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 02:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(NYCXBOX @ Sep 6 2007, 04:41 AM) *

I have a 1.4ghz 128MB Xbox (DreamX) - I had one a few years back and It played HD Divx and MKV perfectly.  I sold my DreamX and it took me a Year to find another one.   - Once I got it back I updated to the newest XBMC and the one I was Using on my old DreamX before i sold it (made a copy of the HDD).  Both XBMC's Played the HD DIVX and MKV perfectly for the files that were 2 years old.  All the newer MKV and HD Divx Files for TV show encodes that were current did not play at all - studdered just like they would on a regular Xbox. Guess HD DIVX and MKV encodes are higher bitrate now?

I really wish M$ would embrace ALL THE CODECs THEY CAN GET THEIR HANDS ON - if a codec like MKV or whatever other one is used basicly "just for Piracy" It don't mean people don't ligitimately encode there own stuff to MKV or whatever.  IF I capture HD content from TV and then I strip the commercials and reencode the uncompressed stream to MKV and keep it in a folder on my HDD - is it really Piracy?  I don't think so - I capture alot of TV and Strip commercials and Encode it to CODEC of my choice for ARCHIVAL Purposes - as long as I don't distribute its fair use.  There is no law that says I can't capture TV shows and keep them in a digital format for myself for use later on.

Anyways - I really Hope Xvid and DivX support comes to 360 - Since the newer MKV stuff don't play well on XBMC, if its added to 360 or not who cares its a mute point - Once they add that to the 360 - XBMC is pretty much Extinct for video playback.  It's gonna hurt to retire my XBMC Xbox.

First off... i would gladly want all these codecs.. but, what you said is Piracy... making a copy of a TV w/o the expressed permission of the content holder aka NBC's Office, if you didn't get NBC's permission and made a copy, then yeah that's at minimal piracy. But piracy now-a-days... they focus on mass sharing rather than
people sitting at home and catching up on episodes of LOST... people make money off commericals the TV Shows has... if you strip it away your taking away the primary purpose on how they support the company. But if your saying I made myself a backup of a show, you don't own... it's piracy, check the laws of record, just because people don't enforce them, doesn't mean i's not a law.

still i wouldn't use anything to high rate or highly compressed on a 360... just cause the ram and gpu are in the same area... and most likely kill itself, trying to produce the video... the original Xbox, was way more stable than the 360, both in hardware and software...

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 02:28:00 AM »

Hopefully this will be on the fall update list cool.gif

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 03:10:00 AM »

Why are people worried about HD media frying their 360s? You really think streaming x264 or mkv is more intensive then rendering and pushing million of polygons around a second? Yall some crazy bitches.

twistednailsofv

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 03:29:00 AM »

it's not the GPU i'm worried about it's about the CPU and Ram... esp. with the 360's heat problem, the GPU does one thing, the CPU does another, the GPU and RAM encompass the same area... not to mention that they have to create an environment for the media to playable which is harder when you doesn't have an OS like Mac, Linux or Windows, then you have to create an environment for the codecs to be able to become playable... so then that adds more stress on the CPU and RAM, the GPU and it's power has no bearing here...

aspeno

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistednailsofv @ Sep 6 2007, 06:58 PM) *

First off... i would gladly want all these codecs.. but, what you said is Piracy... making a copy of a TV w/o the expressed permission of the content holder aka NBC's Office, if you didn't get NBC's permission and made a copy, then yeah that's at minimal piracy. But piracy now-a-days... they focus on mass sharing rather than
people sitting at home and catching up on episodes of LOST... people make money off commericals the TV Shows has... if you strip it away your taking away the primary purpose on how they support the company. But if your saying I made myself a backup of a show, you don't own... it's piracy, check the laws of record, just because people don't enforce them, doesn't mean i's not a law.

still i wouldn't use anything to high rate or highly compressed on a 360... just cause the ram and gpu are in the same area... and most likely kill itself, trying to produce the video... the original Xbox, was way more stable than the 360, both in hardware and software...

Time-shifting has been fair use in the US for as long as there have been VCRs. Since you're on this forum you've probably heard of Tivo. It doesn't matter what the implementation is, as long as you have the right to view the content, you have the right to back it up for personal use.

gasclown

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 06:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistednailsofv @ Sep 6 2007, 10:29 AM) *

it's not the GPU i'm worried about it's about the CPU and Ram... esp. with the 360's heat problem, the GPU does one thing, the CPU does another, the GPU and RAM encompass the same area... not to mention that they have to create an environment for the media to playable which is harder when you doesn't have an OS like Mac, Linux or Windows, then you have to create an environment for the codecs to be able to become playable... so then that adds more stress on the CPU and RAM, the GPU and it's power has no bearing here...

Are you drunk?

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heet @ Sep 6 2007, 01:58 AM) *

I'll still use xbmc.  Reliable and quiet.

exactly!

even if the 360 could play all the codecs, i would still continue to use XBMC daily (except for the very few HD files that i may want to play), nothing can beat XBMC's stability, reliability, slick interface w/ box cover downloads and episode/movie plot/cast, etc...regardless of how i feel though, i know that this would be a HUGE update for the masses with a 360 and a good move for MS...

This post has been edited by 794: Sep 6 2007, 01:22 PM

Altima NEO

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »

xvid and divx eh? I stopped using those a good while ago. Its all about h264 and x264. Get with the program MS.

Deihmos

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »

This doesn't have anything to do with Xbox. It got me excited for nothing.

Deihmos

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(killerkeef @ Sep 6 2007, 04:01 AM) *

Too bad the 360 is too loud to comfortably watch a movie. I'll stick to my Xbmc with my 80mm fan mod.

You must  sit extremely close to your set or have your volume on whisper. i cannot hear a thing coming from the 360.

This post has been edited by Deihmos: Sep 6 2007, 03:31 PM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4