xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Home Theatre System  (Read 91 times)

Crazylegsjr

• Archived User
Home Theatre System
« on: July 10, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

I am looking for some advice on what I should look for in buying a home theatre system for my Xbox 360. I dont want to go out and buy something and find out it isnt compatible with my 360. I know there is a system specifically designed for the 360 but i have heard it doesnt perform as well as some other home theatre systems. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one to buy? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

impimpin206

• Archived User
Home Theatre System
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »

There are so many things to consider... and your xbox360 shouldn't be high on that list.

Do you want 5.1 or 6.1 ??
Do you have a preference to brand?
Do you have an HDTV? What inputs does it have? How do you connect your 360?
Do you want to have the receiver do your A/V switching?

A few things I would require to be on my receiver...

- optical inputs. (xbox 360, TV, media PC... if you only plan to use 360 for optical, you'll need the one that all receivers have... but if you want other things on optical, too, you'll obviously need more)

- component video switching (my main receiver doesn't have this, so I have an external component video / coaxial digital port switch unit. If you get one with comp. switching, make sure it has the # of inputs you need. Then again, I prefer the VGA connection anyway which makes this useless for 360 purposes... but other components must be factored here.)

- Independent A/V switching (this lets you switch audio and video sources separately. Example: I want to listen to RADIO while playing a game... assuming you run your xbox360 video output through the receiver)

Hopefully that helps. Those are the main things that come to mind. What you need really depends on what hardware you already have.

Cheers

Crazylegsjr

• Archived User
Home Theatre System
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »

I am looking for 5.1 and brands dont matter a whole lot. I would take any of the top brands for ex. sony, pioneer, kenwood, panasonic. I dont have a HDTV where my speakers will be set up. I will only be using my 360 for optical and independent a/v switching could be very useful. Thanks for the info and now I have to find a system with all those components for a reasonable price. Its gonna be a long search.

The 360 is high on my list because thats all Ill be using with my home theatre system.

This post has been edited by Crazylegsjr: Jul 11 2007, 01:05 AM

impimpin206

• Archived User
Home Theatre System
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 02:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(Crazylegsjr @ Jul 11 2007, 01:03 AM) View Post

I am looking for 5.1 and brands dont matter a whole lot. I would take any of the top brands for ex. sony, pioneer, kenwood, panasonic. I dont have a HDTV where my speakers will be set up. I will only be using my 360 for optical and independent a/v switching could be very useful. Thanks for the info and now I have to find a system with all those components for a reasonable price. Its gonna be a long search.

The 360 is high on my list because thats all Ill be using with my home theatre system.

Keep your eyes peeled on dealnews.com - I see receiver deals there fairly regularly.

impimpin206

• Archived User
Home Theatre System
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »

This looks like it would suit your gaming needs:

http://dealnews.com/...ped/176838.html

Crazylegsjr

• Archived User
Home Theatre System
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »

That would have been perfect but they are out of stock

impimpin206

• Archived User
Home Theatre System
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »

Sony Home has another system on Dealnews today, would also work well.

http://dealnews.com/...2,177100,317415

Crazylegsjr

• Archived User
Home Theatre System
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »

That one was a little out of my price range