xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47

Author Topic: Tutorial: How to Convert MKV (x264) to 360 Ready WMV-HD  (Read 2520 times)

impimpin206

• Archived User
Tutorial: How to Convert MKV (x264) to 360 Ready WMV-HD
« on: July 04, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »

I see some of you are looking for a way to convert 720p MKV files to WMV-HD. So here's a little tutorial that should help you out. You need to download the attached file and have the tools below.

You can download a sample video here. Just stick it in your shared video folder and play it over network on your console.

Tools needed

- My custom TMPGEnc Xpress profile (available here)
- TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 (available here)
- MKVtoolnix (available here)
- MKVExtractGUI (available here )
- Avisynth (available here)

Once you have all of that software installed and functioning, here's what you need to do.

1. Extract the contents of the attached file. This tutorial assumes you have extracted the file to  the root of your E: drive, so you'll be working from e:\wmv_working\  If this is not the case, you'll  need to open the movie.avs file in Notepad and change the directory. Copy your source MKV file to your \wmv_working\ directory and rename it to movie.mkv

2. Run MKVExtractGUI and open your movie.mkv file. Check the box for the AC3 audio stream and click  the 'Extract' button. Once complete, exit MKVExtractGUI.

IPB Image

3. Run TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 and start a new project.

4a. Load your AVS script (movie.avs) into the source file.
4b. Load your AC3 audio file into the 'Audio' section. (click browse, locate file)
4c. Change the 'Clip Name' to the title of your movie. This is what shows in the Xbox 360 browser.

IPB Image

5. Look at the clip details before proceeding to Format. Remember your source file's resolution.

IPB Image

6. Proceed to 'Format' and click 'Browse' to load the attached template Xbox 360 720 VBR.txp4e

IPB Image

7. Correct the resolution to what was displayed on the source file information. If you are using a 1080p source, you should be able to convert to 1080p WMV-HD without any other changes. For 720p sources, you should only need to correct the vertical resolution. Failing to do so will result in a clipped frame or black bars at the top & bottom to keep the aspect ratio. Setting the same resolution will have your Xbox 360 scale the file correctly.

IPB Image

8. Push the 'Calculator' button. Set your output size to 100% of media and push OK.

IPB Image

9. Save your project in case adjustments are necessary.

Optional Step: Create test sample (see below for steps)

10. Everything else is set for you. Encode!

Optional Step: Create a test sample

Note: this assumes you are between steps 8 and 10.

1. Select the bitrate from the box and copy it into your clipboard. (In this example, it's 5053)
2. Click 'Source' to go back a step in the wizard.
3. Click 'Cut-edit' on the right.
4. Select a new start frame and end frame and click OK. Since this is VBR, I usually make a 5 minute clip of both low and high motion scenes to give an accurate output quality sample.

IPB Image

5. Click Encode and start it.
6. Put the output file into your shared videos and play it over network in your Xbox 360. If the video looks good, then re-open your saved project file and encode it. If you didn't save it, you will need to repeat these steps to set your original start/end frames to the movie's start/end, then encode.

Hopefully this helps you some.

Cheers,
impimpin

morphguy112

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »

THANKS!!!

MaxP

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:40:00 AM »

Cheers bud....
this question gets asked hell of a lot.

blame canada

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »

You got it all wrong man, all you need is VLC and a tad bit of command line knowledge biggrin.gif

impimpin206

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(blame canada @ Jul 5 2007, 03:33 PM) *

You got it all wrong man, all you need is VLC and a tad bit of command line knowledge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

... and a helluva lot of a patience  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

blame canada

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(impimpin206 @ Jul 5 2007, 09:36 AM) *

... and a helluva lot of a patience  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

lol....wait, why? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

impimpin206

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »

My experience in converting to WMV with VLC was tedious, and ultimately doesn't even compare to TMPGEnc as an encoder. I let VLC do what it was designed to do... play.

blame canada

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »

True, but once figured out its quite handy smile.gif

Oh and VLC does only play, ffmpeg is the one that converts wink.gif

MaxP

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(blame canada @ Jul 5 2007, 03:33 PM) *

You got it all wrong man, all you need is VLC and a tad bit of command line knowledge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

if you *think* you know a better/faster/easier method to do the same conversion then why not stick it in a tut for all the share ? instead of just trying to piss on this mans work.

Shame on you...
Shame indeed.

impimpin206

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »

Oh you mean using VLC to serve the stream. I thought you meant using the 'file output' feature and thought you were nuts. I've converted files to WMV that way before, but nothing HD. Man I thought you were nuts.

Anyway, this method should be easy to follow for users who prefer an easy GUI to work with. And this is the way that I know works.

Let's try to keep the rest of this thread clean for users who may have questions or need assistance.

cheers

This post has been edited by impimpin206: Jul 5 2007, 04:17 PM

blame canada

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(MaxP @ Jul 5 2007, 10:49 AM) *

if you *think* you know a better/faster/easier method to do the same conversion then why not stick it in a tut for all the share ? instead of just trying to piss on this mans work.
Shame on you...
Shame indeed.

Chill the fuck out dude, I was just trying to say that there is other, easier ways to convert it not piss all over this dudes work (which I should've given props to in the first place). I am actually working on a set of .bat files currently, one for converting to HD WMV for the 360 so STFU (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

QUOTE(impimpin206 @ Jul 5 2007, 10:50 AM) *

Oh you mean using VLC to serve the stream. I thought you meant using the 'file output' feature and thought you were nuts. I've converted files to WMV that way before, but nothing HD. Man I thought you were nuts.

Anyway, this method should be easy to follow for users who prefer an easy GUI to work with. And this is the way that I know works.

Let's try to keep the rest of this thread clean for users who may have questions or need assistance.

cheers

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'll make a new thread when I get everything worked out and will try to not jack this thread up anymore than it already is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Trying to keep it as clean as I can bro (kind of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

faithlesssoul

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »

thanks for the how two i have one on how to get past the 4gb file limit on fat32 if you want to check it out to save money on discs and use an External hard drive on the xbox 360
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=610799

pop.gif

Jakeway

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »

Hello,

I’ve been using your guide to great effect, everything is almost perfect... but I’ve found the frame rate on the encoded video is very jittery. Its has the same frame rate as the original file (23. 976).  

Any help?

impimpin206

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

Can you post a screen shot of 2 things:

Clip details
Encode settings

Or if you want to send me a sample clip I will play with it.

Is your source file progressive? If you're not using a progressive source, encoding to progressive could be the problem. If I get both screenshots, or a clip sample, I'm sure we can figure it out smile.gif

Jakeway

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »

I will upload the sample I am working with and PM you a link, give me an hour. If that is ok with you?

I am using your settings, and cant think of anything else to change. I read that the jitter is due to the way the FPS is re-encoded.

This post has been edited by Jakeway: Jul 9 2007, 06:49 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47