xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Amazon and Microsoft Team Up to Help Indie Filmmakers Jump Into HD DVD  (Read 76 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Amazon and Microsoft Team Up to Help Indie Filmmakers Jump Into HD DVD
Posted by XanTium | July 2 18:18 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From the press release:

Amazon.com Inc. , and Microsoft Corp. today announced the 1,000 HD DVD Indies Project, designed to lower the barriers to entry for filmmakers to produce and distribute movies in the HD DVD format through the innovative manufacturing-on-demand technology of CustomFlix, a part of an Amazon group of companies. Jointly sponsored by Amazon and Microsoft, the project will provide free authoring and setup services for up to 1,000 selected indie titles.

The project will be spearheaded by CustomFlix, which will bring as many as 1,000 feature-length independent films to Amazon customers using the CustomFlix DVD on Demand technology, which produces and ships DVDs only as they are ordered. This model greatly improves the cost structure for independent filmmakers by eliminating the need for costly inventory.

Full press release: money.cnn.com

Unregistered007

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »

lmao just give up HD-DVD failed already!

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »

Nice

This post has been edited by bucko: Jul 2 2007, 10:57 PM

Boydster

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

I honestly can't see HD-DVD recuperating from this point. I say they accept their losses and move on.  sad.gif

Ah well, Blu-Ray is a cooler name anyways.  lol

sirsmacketh

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »

I'm all for supporting Indie producers. I will NEVER buy blu-ray. SONY forcing another format war is just plain stupid and arrogant.

If SONY could comply with the DVD standard, why the hell couldn't they just agree to a standard HD format?

This post has been edited by sirsmacketh: Jul 3 2007, 12:23 AM

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »

Viva la HD-DVD!

lol, blue-ray can go to hell!

On a serious note, I wonder where this format war is going. I mean, come on...can't it just end already?

Will someone please just come out with an amazing format and make it easier for the consumer?

blah

This post has been edited by sicknasty413: Jul 3 2007, 12:39 AM

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »

Neither is winning. Normal DVD is winning. It is gonna take some price cuts and some marketing to win this war. Most people I know don't even care. They are happy enough with SD.

Even techies would rather upscale their current collection, than build a new one.

This post has been edited by throwingks: Jul 3 2007, 12:54 AM

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »

I don't think either will win in the long run, i think downloadable movies will win in the long run (like netflix, xbl video marketplace, etc.) I just hope HD-DVD will take the lead cuz i want King Kong and The Matrix       (haven't bought neither HD-DVD nor BR yet)

Kudos to HD-DVD for doing this though. HD-DVD seems to be catching up little by little.