xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Few console owners using multimedia capabilities, says study  (Read 168 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Few console owners using multimedia capabilities, says study
Posted by XanTium | June 28 22:56 EST | News Category: Xbox_Xbox360

From gamesindustry.biz:

According to the Diffusion Group, while 80 per cent of US households own game consoles capable of DVD playback, only 30 per cent were aware of that fact and only 13 per cent of gamers are using them for that purpose.

The Dallas-based research firm also found that, of the households who view movies on their game consoles, 74 per cent are watching physical DVDs and only 26 per cent are going online to purchase or rent a digital movie download.

Full Story: gamesindustry.biz

budzrgood

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »

ya i rather have my 360 3rol on games then a damn dvd movie

quarky42

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »

surveys / studies like this are stupid.

I use my xbox for EVERYTHING video/audio *EXCEPT* DVD.... as a multimedia extender to my PC (running TVersity) it is great...there are bugs...I wish they (TVersity & *AND* MICROSOFT!!!) would fix them!.... but it plays so many formats remotely this way that I love it.

I wouldn't bring a DVD anywhere near my 360....that is why I have a 5 disc DVD changer.  It has a much higher quality DVD drive than the 360 does.

DoomSayerSantos

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 01:46:00 AM »

Xbox 360 has shitty dvd playback anyway
XBMC is even better

babyman1737

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 02:16:00 AM »

Isn't playing a game "DVD playback"? Since games are on DVD's and all....

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 05:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(babyman1737 @ Jun 29 2007, 03:16 AM) *

Isn't playing a game "DVD playback"? Since games are on DVD's and all....

technically, yes, but this "study" is more focused on discussing the multimedia use of new gaming consoles...

i have never put a DVD in my 360, and come to think of it, practically all my multimedia (not games) are played on the original xbox via XBMC.  i have used XBL on the 360 for some movie trailers and such.

26% going online for digital movie download is not so bad - it was only just last November that MS opened up downloading movies on the 360 - time will tell how long it takes to make physical optical media obsolete...it really already is for me...

spinemangler

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »

Well, if Microsoft would add support for divx playback, then maybe I would use it a bit more. Right now the only media center I use is my xbox with xbmc, and its going to be tough to find something better than that, especially with the mc360 skin.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »

only 26 per cent are going online to purchase or rent a digital movie download

Yeah, i spose 2 gig or so per movie (in SD format) isnt much if u have suttin like a 10gig download limit a month (sarcasm). Let alone about 5 gig for a HD movie.

If i had no download limit, i would use this service, often. That is whats holding a majority of people back IMO...

Oh, and the fact the video marketplace is still only in the US

Verity

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(794 @ Jun 29 2007, 01:42 AM) *

26% going online for digital movie download is not so bad

AFAIK, they mean 26% of the 13% actually watching media content.  That makes it only (just over) 3% of the console users.   In other words, a pretty small number.

Nintendo is reputed to have shaved several dollars off the production cost of the Wii by simply not including DVD movie capability, with the silly royalties involved and all.  Despite being pounded on message boards and blogs for it, it looks like maybe Nintendo was smart to drop movie playback and keep the cost down.

This post has been edited by Verity: Jun 29 2007, 03:37 PM

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(DoomSayerSantos @ Jun 29 2007, 08:46 AM) *

Xbox 360 has shitty dvd playback anyway
XBMC is even better

Ya true so it seems 80% of US gaming households are running XBMC (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I dam hope that is true (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

This post has been edited by bucko: Jun 29 2007, 05:28 PM

TheIrishLad

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(flashfreak @ Jun 29 2007, 07:33 AM) *

If i had no download limit, i would use this service, often. That is whats holding a majority of people back IMO...

You could always switch your ISP. Or do most of them have those caps?

stevenalvarado

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »

You could always switch your ISP. Or do most of them have those caps?

It made me laugh how you said that, because in my country there is only one ISP.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
There are many people in my country waiting for the Cafta or in spanish "TLC" so other companies come here and start bringing internet services. I have 512/256 and i dont have that kind of cap, but i cant choose another conection faster than the one said before.
BTW i only pay 27 dollars a month.How about you?

Another thing, i dont know about you but its really nice to use the remote control for the original xbox and yes... my xbox is the only dvd player i have.

nickolasj80

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(spinemangler @ Jun 29 2007, 07:36 AM) *

Right now the only media center I use is my xbox with xbmc, and its going to be tough to find something better than that, especially with the mc360 skin.

really? hows that 1080 working for ya?  ....thats what i thought.

itchy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »

Why play a DVD on your $400 console, when your $50 dvd player does a better job, is quieter and probably has a better remote.  On the contrary, I do play blu-ray dvds on my ps3, along with other downloaded formats burned onto a dvd.  The ps3 plays quicktime avi/mpeg 4, while my other mpeg4 DVD players can't read them.  PS3 plays just about everything.

quall

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »

I use xbmc to stream videos onto my original xbox...That is as far as it goes for me. Never use the 360. I have better control for music on my PC, easier to use, and has am equalizer.