xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Universal and MS About Blockbuster Blu-ray Move  (Read 196 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Universal and MS About Blockbuster Blu-ray Move
« on: June 21, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | June 21 20:18 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From trustedreviews.com:

Only a few days ago Blockbuster made the announcement that it was dropping HD DVD rentals from its stores, which was widely reported as a major blow to the Toshiba led camp.

Ken Graffeo, Executive Vice President of High Definition Strategic Marketing for Universal and co-president HD DVD Promotional Group, shrugged off the Blockbuster move, stating that rental counted for less the one per cent of its revenue. He also pointed out that Blockbuster still offered HD DVD on its online stores.

Interestingly, Microsoft's Xavier Bringué revealed that it was only when the Blu-ray camp decided it was going with Java that it decided to stop being format agnostic and go with HD DVD - a tacit admission that the move was purely political, based on Microsoft's poor relationship with Sun. Bringué also scotched rumours that Microsoft had any plans for a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox in the future.

Full Story: trustedreviews.com

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »

I figured MS saying they were only going to do HD-DVD was just about the relationship with Toshiba.  It's like them to just go with whoever is winning.

XPunked Mods

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »

Haha,
That's hilarious! (I'm just pissed at Microsoft for making such a shit overheating poor warrenty/customer service console).
I wonder if they'll bring out blue ray support now.

CyberFoxx

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »

Is Blockbuster even considered a top rental place anymore? I'm not sure how it is anywhere else, but Blockbuster is losing major business in Ontario. They've been closing stores all over the place here. Pretty much the "Mom and Pop" stores are winning out over the bigname places these days, and most of them will carry both HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

This post has been edited by CyberFoxx: Jun 22 2007, 02:23 AM

Chaosplt

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(CyberFoxx @ Jun 21 2007, 06:22 PM) View Post

Is Blockbuster even considered a top rental place anymore? I'm not sure how it is anywhere else, but Blockbuster is losing major business in Ontario. They've been closing stores all over the place here. Pretty much the "Mom and Pop" stores are winning out over the bigname places these days, and most of them will carry both HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

LOL I agree, the mom and pop stores get new releases 3 weeks before retail date. I have not rented in store at blockbuster for 5 years. I had blockbuster online but i went with netflix. They are losing a lot of money.

DoTsTeR

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »

All I know is it seems like everytime I want to rent/buy a movie in HD-DVD it seems like it is only available in BLU-RAY. No matter if I look online or locally.

I really want/wanted HD-DVD to win the format war, however, I personally am done sitting on a HD-DVD drive that I just dont use. I just sold my HD-DVD add-on on Ebay and I have a strong feeling Blu-Ray is going to be the winner in the end whether we like it or not.

Chances are I'll buy a PS3 once some good games exist and then I'll have a Blu-Ray drive. If I am wrong and HD-DVD becomes the winner I'll just pick up a HD-DVD unit again.

jeff10

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »

movie gallery, video vault

and

hollywood

are the only rental stores that do any buisness in the sorrounding 6 counties here  and none that i go into rents either 1

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(DoTsTeR @ Jun 22 2007, 02:54 AM) View Post

All I know is it seems like everytime I want to rent/buy a movie in HD-DVD it seems like it is only available in BLU-RAY. No matter if I look online or locally.

I really want/wanted HD-DVD to win the format war, however, I personally am done sitting on a HD-DVD drive that I just dont use. I just sold my HD-DVD add-on on Ebay and I have a strong feeling Blu-Ray is going to be the winner in the end whether we like it or not.

Chances are I'll buy a PS3 once some good games exist and then I'll have a Blu-Ray drive. If I am wrong and HD-DVD becomes the winner I'll just pick up a HD-DVD unit again.

I am fully supporting and happy that Blu-Ray has won the format war. It is so much more practical to use my PS3 to watch movies rather than all the add-ons, wires, power bricks that is the 360.

BUT, I still have my HDDVD add-on because of a select few movies that are still exclusive to HDDVD. Though I now see that the Matrix is coming to Blu-Ray.

Plus for the $199 price of the HDDVD drive it is worth it to keep and use on the PC to rip HDDVD's  

PerfectGun

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »

I hope MS just isn't going to be stubborn and not support Blu-ray.  If they want to continue to push HD-DVD they are going to have a lot of useless drives and angry customers.. Not to mention a console that doesn't play any of the latest movies in HD.  The marketplace is great but they have even a poorer selection of current HD movies than HD-DVD has and that's sad.  

Anybody want to buy a slightly used UMD player?   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

lando786

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

MS will prolly go with blu ray eventually even if they say they wont much like the hdmi connection

prplehz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »

Heck mine hasn't played the last 3 movies I have tried in it, Children of Man, The Hitcher and some other movie my GF tried and it wouldnt work either on the hd dvd side. But the dvd side plays. That just blows MS.  As for Blockbuster, I haven't gone there in years any ways. But them only supporting Blu ray is bad for hd dvd. Hd dvd just doesn't have the right studio support. That is why there is not many movies released on it. And when the few studios that do support it put out movies it takes them forever to do it.  I hate to say it but I think Blu ray is gonna win this one.  grr.gif

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Jun 21 2007, 07:12 PM) View Post

I am fully supporting and happy that Blu-Ray has won the format war. It is so much more practical to use my PS3 to watch movies rather than all the add-ons, wires, power bricks that is the 360.

BUT, I still have my HDDVD add-on because of a select few movies that are still exclusive to HDDVD. Though I now see that the Matrix is coming to Blu-Ray.

Plus for the $199 price of the HDDVD drive it is worth it to keep and use on the PC to rip HDDVD's

I wish you would stop saying this,no one has won yet and the unfortunate reality is the "war" is going to drag on for a long long time.

jeff10

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Jun 21 2007, 09:12 PM) View Post

sell me your HD-DVD drive for a cheap price, Youi dont really need it do you?

Caddenmods

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »

I agree with what most of you are saying.  My own thoughts on the matter is that MS should give the consumer the option.  Sell both HD-DVD player and blue-ray player for xbox 360.  

That way MS don't look biased towards one or the other and is leaving it to the consumer.

I live in England, UK and to be honest blockbuster is pretty big here, and mainly has the monopoly in my home town.  I have noticed that the selection of Blue ray disks is much much bigger that HD-DVD's.

When looking at the shelves at work (TESCO!), I cant help but notice that the blue ray abundance thing is going on there too, there is loads of choice when it comes to blueray and little or non when it comes to HD DVD, it comes to no surprise why MS's are not selling many of the HD-DVD Players.

dracus

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 05:38:00 AM »

I really want hd-dvd to win mostly because I don't like Sony. They are playing their standard game of "we are Sony...do what we say."

I believe when you look at "walmart" supporting HD-DVD and consider they ARE the largest retailer of discs in the world it makes the blockbuster thing a minor footnote.

I also believe Microsoft has really not done any of super marketing on the hd-dvd. I bet we'll see something completely different in a few months when Halo 3 comes out. I can almost see M$ doing something like "exclusive halo 3 videos/special features" on HD-DVD. They will likely double the current sales figures in september along. Not counting the upcoming holiday season.
Pages: [1] 2