xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Spring 2007 Video Playback FAQ  (Read 383 times)

TheAgedGamer

• Archived User
Spring 2007 Video Playback FAQ
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm also using Orb's and not getting any video's showing up on the 360 after today's update.

seuden

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »

18. After the May 2007 update, my 3rd party software doesn't stream videos correctly. Why?
Video navigation was changed in the May 2007 update. 3rd party software that does not support folders through network sharing will not work correctly. You'll have to contact the software developer for support.

Get TVersity

As you may know Microsoft has released today a new firmware update for the Xbox 360 and this broke compatibility with TVersity Media Server(info) (only with videos, audio and images work as before).
We are glad to announce that we already have a patch that fixes this problem and also takes advantage of the new functionality of this spring update, letting you browse your video in a folder hierarchy instead of just a long flat list.

KevinSartori

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(bchmo @ May 10 2007, 12:29 AM) View Post

I have a whole bunch of HD anime in mkv format I've been waiting to play on the 360 and I thought this upate would answer my wishes but so far all my attempts to play x264 have failed except for one or two files. The files that I remuxed to mp4 with reconverted 2 channel aac audio didn't work either. The vids that did work were part of a series of releases of a particular show from the same encoding group, so I'd assume that they used the same encoding and muxing techniques. It's weird that only a few of the episodes worked and the rest didn't. Vids that I've encoded myself haven't worked either and I suspect that it has something to do with what encoding options are used with the x264 codec. However, all the files I've converted to wmv-hd with the VC-1 codec have worked flawlessly, but that should be a given since it IS a Microsoft format. The fact is though, that it's a pain in the ass having to reconvert everything and it saves a lot of time to just remux files to a new container.

Yeah, I'm with you on this.  I had hoped that this update would allow me to play some of the H.264 encoded anime I've downloaded.  I used SUPER to do a direct stream copy for the video and if the audio was .mp3, I re-encoded to AAC.  It never worked for me on any of the four videos.  I tried both the .MP4 and .MOV containers.  I even tried disabling audio altogether to make sure that wasn't the problem.  No luck.  The thing that is baffling to me is that the bitrate on these files ranges from .9 to 1.2 Mbps, plus they were all different resolutions from 640x480 to 1280x720.  I assume you're right and it has something to do with the settings of the original encode.

But still, it's frustrating.  The Xbox 360 definitely has the muscle to play these files.  Why add support for a new codec when it's limited in this way?  It makes no sense.  I mean, I understand them not supporting DivX/XviD, because they want to push Windows Media instead.  But what's the point of adding such crippled support for H.264?  Microsoft managed to swipe a lot of the best ideas from XBMC, except the main feature: the ability to play anything.  They just don't get it.

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »

I refuse to convert all my videos to a Microsoft format just because they wont support more widely used codecs grr.gif

ssj4android

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »

I tried an WMV SD episode of CSI that I downloaded from Amazon Unbox. It didn't work at all. Skipped a bit, then the picture froze. I was playing it off a 5400 RPM USB2 drive, but it should still work.

TheAgedGamer

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 01:29:00 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]