xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Spring 2007 Video Playback FAQ  (Read 360 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Spring 2007 Video Playback FAQ
« on: May 09, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | May 9 15:35 EST | News Category: Xbox360

More details about the new video playback features in the Xbox360 Spring 2007 Update have been posted on the Team Xbox Blog (FYI: MS owned blog). A few of the many FAQs

1. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for H.264?
Xbox 360 supports the following for H.264:
* File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov
* Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
* Video Profiles: Baseline, main, and high (up to Level 4.1) profiles.
* Video Bitrate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See question number 6 for more information.
* Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)
* Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See question number 6 for more information.

2. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for MPEG-4 Part 2?
Xbox 360 supports the following for MPEG-4:
* File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, .mov
* Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
* Video Profiles: Simple (including Simple profile content mislabeled as Advanced Simple)
* Video Bitrate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30fps. See question number 6 for more information.
* Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)
* Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See question number 6 for more information.

3. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for WMV (VC-1)?
Xbox 360 supports the following for WMV:
* File Extensions: .wmv
* Container: asf
* Video Profiles: WMV7 (WMV1), WMV8 (WMV2), WMV9 (WMV3), VC-1 (WVC1 or WMVA) in simple, main, and advanced up to Level 3
* Video Bitrate: 15 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See question number 6 for more information.
* Audio Profiles: WMA7/8, WMA 9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA lossless

5. What are the different ways to play video content on Xbox 360?
You can play video from a USB 2.0 FAT32 removable drive, optical media, and by streaming from the Zune software or Windows Media Player 11.

6. What is the "real" max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second that you support for all the different formats?
Xbox 360 does not specifically block video from playing based on a maximum bit rate, resolution, or frames per second. The maximums listed above for each codec are what we have tested for various video playback sources. Higher rated content will not be blocked, but playback may be less then optimal. Use higher bitrates at your own risk.

18. After the May 2007 update, my 3rd party software doesn't stream videos correctly. Why?
Video navigation was changed in the May 2007 update. 3rd party software that does not support folders through network sharing will not work correctly. You'll have to contact the software developer for support.

22. How can I get Windows Media Player 11 to stream MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264 to my console?
By default, Windows Media Player 11 does not support MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264. You can either convert your MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264 content to WMV or you can install a 3rd party MP4 DirectShow decoder pack to import MPEG-4 part 2 and H.264 files into your library. Once they are in your library they can be streamed to your console just like WMVs.

More FAQs: Team Xbox Blog

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »

Nice, now with these codecs and with the 120GB hard drive available we just need a PVR solution now, I hope this is the main feature for the fall update.

HamSandwhich

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »

Funny thing, after the update, I can't stream no videos.

para[android]

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »

So what would be the best tool to use to convert xvid's into one of these formats?  Keep in mind my top priority would be lack of quality loss.

Thanks

Landlocked

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »

The million dollar question: does this mean we can anything else besides Transcode 360 to stream Xvid???

Cyberlunacy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(HamSandwhich @ May 9 2007, 02:49 PM) View Post

Funny thing, after the update, I can't stream no videos.

probably have to see if they updated the zune software.

i think its retarded that we have to install the freakin stupid zune software just to stream things to the 360.

what ever happened to windows media connect.

warlordship

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Cyberlunacy @ May 9 2007, 01:10 PM) View Post

i think its retarded that we have to install the freakin stupid zune software just to stream things to the 360.

Woah, are you saying that the XP MCE is not needed to stream videos to my Xbox 360?  I finally got one (Elite, of course), and was worried about how I'd watch videos on it.

Of course, I guess I have my XBMC, even if it's starting to shoke on certain .wmv videos nowadays.

Cyberlunacy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(warlordship @ May 9 2007, 03:28 PM) View Post

Woah, are you saying that the XP MCE is not needed to stream videos to my Xbox 360?  I finally got one (Elite, of course), and was worried about how I'd watch videos on it.

Of course, I guess I have my XBMC, even if it's starting to shoke on certain .wmv videos nowadays.

hell no you dont need MCE you NEVER needed MCE.

google for Windows Media Connect
but you can also go to
www.xbox.xom/pcsetup

this will have you download that stupid Zune software which lets you add music video and pictures to the library, and in turn you can stream them to your 360.

i been streaming HD WMV movies for a while now.
you can use Encode360 to convert just about any video file to WMV which you can stream to your 360

you been able to do this for a long time.

Plagued

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(warlordship @ May 9 2007, 09:28 PM) View Post

you've been able to stream videos from 3rd party apps and wmp11, along with pend drives, cd/dvd's for some time now. The change is the addition of some new codecs.

I'll be very interested to see what new converters we'll need to get most of the .TS .MKV etc files as their format is not far from what is needed, so hopefully it won't take ages to convert.

HamSandwhich

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

Thanks kidman, I'll look into it.

QUOTE(Cyberlunacy @ May 9 2007, 09:10 PM) View Post

I'm using Windows Media Connect, maybe there is a newer one though, as I downloaded it last August/September I think.

Cyberlunacy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Plagued @ May 9 2007, 03:43 PM) View Post

you've been able to stream videos from 3rd party apps and wmp11, along with pend drives, cd/dvd's for some time now. The change is the addition of some new codecs.

I'll be very interested to see what new converters we'll need to get most of the .TS .MKV etc files as their format is not far from what is needed, so hopefully it won't take ages to convert.

has anyone tried renaming an mkv to a proper h264 file extension to see if it works ?

either way the problem with h264 is that it only support 2 channel audio where as WMV is 5.1

your still better off sound wise to use Encode360 and convert them to WMV files.

Mr. Me

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »

I tried renaming an mkv to mp4 and it of course didn't work.  Anyone try remuxing yet?

Anyone know how to get mp4 to show up in the mp11 library.  I've got the Combined Community Codec Pack, Realtime Alt, and Quicktime Alt installed and I can play everything, and everything shows up in my Media Center, just no mp4 on media player 11.

ripcurl

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(symbols @ May 9 2007, 09:13 PM) View Post

Now the real question... 'will this enable playback of 'scene' releases?'  Doesn't sound like it.

no

billybobz0r

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »

Not all scene releases are the same, especially when it comes to HD releases. However I've never stumbled upon releases that used H264 main profile which seems as far as the xbox 360 goes. In other words, remuxing won't be good enough you'll have transcode the video stream to h264 main profile and ofcourse since none of the releases seem to use AAC LC audio you'll have to transcode audio as well ...

M@verick

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »

Sounds like even if we didn't get out of the box Xvid/Divx playback with the new update, its now easier to convert them to a playable format than it was before.

Is this correct?

What would be the simple layman steps to convert an Xvid to a format playable with the spring update?

Pages: [1] 2 3