xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SAMSUNG Electronics to Release Duo Hd Player  (Read 187 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
SAMSUNG Electronics to Release Duo Hd Player
« on: April 13, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | April 13 09:28 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From the press release:

Samsung Electronics Co., LTD., a leader in consumer electronics and digital media technologies, and the first company to introduce a Blu-ray disc player will introduce a dual format High-Definition (HD) optical disc player in time for the holidays.

Samsung's Duo HD player (BD-UP5000) will fully support both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats and their interactive technologies, HDi and BD-Java. With the Duo HD consumers can enjoy additional studio content such as trailers, director's comments, more elaborate interactive menus and behind the scene footage. The new Duo HD joins Samsung's next generation DVD line-up which includes Samsung's second generation Blu-ray player available at retail this month. Together, these two models offer the consumer a strong line of High-Definition players to match Samsung's award winning, and best selling, line of HDTVs.

As a member of the DVD Forum and contributor to the DVD Industry, we recognize that both HD-DVD and BD formats have merits. As such, we have decided to market a dual format player. Samsung is flexible to market a stand-alone HD-DVD player whenever consumers demand it. Our main concern is not technology but consumer choice" said Dongsoo Jun, Executive Vice President of the Digital AV Division at Samsung Electronics.

Read the whole press release on samsung.com

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »

Cool..

Is this the first combo player ever?

psychoace

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(edwinmcdunlap @ Apr 13 2007, 02:12 PM) *

Cool..

Is this the first combo player ever?

If this is the one that was announced a month ago then it's crap because it will play Blu Ray perfectly but it will have problems with HD-DVD. It will only play the movie for HD-DVD discs and wont give you menu's or the option to select extra's (other then different audio tracks). It's not all that great.

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was the LG combo that wasn't up to spec on HD-DVD.

I read somewhere that this supports MDi unlike the LG player.

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »

this player sounds like the real deal...combo players will be the way to go and i am glad that the technology companies will market such devices since the "industry" has forced dual-formats on the consumers.  both formats have merit and before long dual format players will be the norm...until the next-gen optical discs come out or until optical discs become extinct (my wish sooner than later)...

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »

So, any word on price? 7.1 playback capability?

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »

Nice, compared to that feature limited expensive LG dual format player. I wonder what the price is of this?

BigSteel

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Apr 13 2007, 04:21 PM) View Post

I wonder what the price is of this?

I'm afraid to find out  blink.gif

R.MnTnA

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »

Great News! But why is it on Xbox Scene? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Can we hack it to make it work with the 360? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

R.MnTnA

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »

Great News! But why is it on Xbox Scene?

Was thinking the exact same thing....

We know that these hardware companies want to make $, but making dual-format players just makes this situation worse. I'd rather have 1 format win and this be over with. It doesn't even matter which one it is, they are both decent formats, neither one is crap really. With companies doing this we might have (2) formats staying around... This isn't huge now, but 10 years from now we might regret having done this!

TheIceman72

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »

G4Tv was talking about this combo player last week and they said it will be about $1200 bucks if this is the same one. I say kinda pricey, but hell what dealing with HD isn't? If I have the bucks when it drops I will snatch one up for $1200. I have a HD Tivo, so it ain't much more than that. Now that I wont be playing anymore movies on my XB HD player. Sine it bricked my 360 this past weekend.

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(R.MnTnA @ Apr 13 2007, 04:34 PM) View Post

Great News! But why is it on Xbox Scene? huh.gif unsure.gif Can we hack it to make it work with the 360? tongue.gif  unsure.gif

R.MnTnA

It's part of the HD format war, which the Xbox 360 plays (or is trying to play) a significant role in this war.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(feflicker @ Apr 13 2007, 11:44 AM) View Post
Was thinking the exact same thing....

We know that these hardware companies want to make $, but making dual-format players just makes this situation worse. I'd rather have 1 format win and this be over with. It doesn't even matter which one it is, they are both decent formats, neither one is crap really. With companies doing this we might have (2) formats staying around... This isn't huge now, but 10 years from now we might regret having done this!
It's no big deal. Just like with DVD+/-R discs and drives. The average person just goes and gets blank DVDs without worrying about the format. In 10 years, or a lot less, the average person will just get a High Definition movie without worrying about the format.

GhaleonX

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »

This belongs in Off Topic -> General Chat

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

It's no big deal. Just like with DVD+/-R discs and drives. The average person just goes and gets blank DVDs without worrying about the format. In 10 years, or a lot less, the average person will just get a High Definition movie without worrying about the format.

It is a big deal actually, because this isn't relating to "record" functionality, it is related to "playback".

Say a new format comes out in 10 years, we'll call it UberDVD. That means the UberDVD player will need backward compatability for DVD, Blue-Ray, and HD-DVD. Say there is also a competiting new format, RadDVD. That means a future dual-format player will have to support 5 different formats. It just keeps adding on top of each other. This means that future players will probably not support everything, and you will have to be carefuly which player you buy, and hope it supports all of the formats in your movie collection. OR, like they want you to do, you have to buy another copy of the same movie you own to work on the new players!
Pages: [1] 2