xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Google and Cable Firms Warn of Risks from Web TV  (Read 160 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Google and Cable Firms Warn of Risks from Web TV
« on: February 08, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 8 18:59 EST

From reuters.com:

Google, which acquired online video sharing site YouTube last year, said the Internet was not designed for TV.
It even issued a warning to companies that think they can start distributing mainstream TV shows and movies on a global scale at broadcast quality over the public Internet.

"The Web infrastructure, and even Google's (infrastructure) doesn't scale. It's not going to offer the quality of service that consumers expect," Vincent Dureau, Google's head of TV technology, said at the Cable Europe Congress.

Full Story: reuters.com (2 pages)

fierygt

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »

Come on now...as the technology keeps increasing, obviously so will the speed of the internet.  Look at how it's developed over the last 20 years.  It may not happen too soon, but I can easily see high resolution video consistantly being transmitted over the internet.  For most media companies, it would even be in their vested interest, because once super high speed broadband ultimately becomes available to most, what would be the point in distributing "hard copies" of their media anymore?  Maybe i'm misreading what they're saying, but it just doesn't make sense to me, given the nature of the business google is in.  Don't they remember when trasmission speed was regularly measured in baud?

carllfo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »

Of course people should question the underlying reasons behind the statement, do google or the cable companies have interests that conflict with iptv?

And on the scalability argument, well...if nobody tries then the systems will never be in place.  Seems quite a stupid argument they have put forward and only makes me go back to my previous question, are there other vested interests?

cyberg4

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »

if a 100 MB xvid file can easily hold 10 minutes of good video (standard def though) with ac3 audio, that's 167 KB/s (or a little over a Mbit/s), people commonly have 5+ Mbit connections, and it's only getting faster.  It is achievable with current technology, although high def (approx 4X the pixels) would be a little strenuous for some current connections, (4*167=668MB/s or 5 Mbit/s) it could be possible for some people.  although you'd need some amazing servers.

capboy210

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »

When fiber optic internet is more available in the future then it would be a "ok" idea in my opinion. Besides most people have cable so why use web tv.

xzenor

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »

Its all about the buffer.

tekno5

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »

well if they say it's not able to work then try...

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

some of these are 1500 - 1800 k/Bs

its free so it makes me think that by saying it does not work means someone want's to buy the rights as rupert did with european / world wide satellite

all Europe gets now is an expensive, crap, regional, boring service.

checkout

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

and you can find 22000 + channels

MTV Uber which is in the USA is great and is also how Europe satellite was before rupert got paid.

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(xzenor @ Feb 8 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Its all about the buffer.
Agree if you make it buffer for 5 to 10 seconds or 15 to 30 seconds that can change your bandwidth situation significantly.

Also doesn't Japan have 100mbit to the house? Are they also saying they couldnt do this in Japan?

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »

i guess thats why the xbox live internet videos are doing so badly (insanly good). iptv is compention so cable companys will naturly hate it. lets face it they have no real competion when it comes to tv thers satlite with unfortanly hasent inproved over the years. i hope iptv relly takes off when it officaly launches this year and is cheap. it will force cable comanys to cut prices.

This post has been edited by luther349: Feb 9 2007, 04:12 AM

dmitri

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(cyberg4 @ Feb 9 2007, 12:40 AM) *
It is achievable with current technology

The thing you're not factoring in is that that majority of IP's oversell their bandwidth.  So they really only expect you to use maybe 20kb of your 3mbit connection.  When you go over that, more comes out of their pool.  They're not ready for everyone to use 3mbit at the same time.

5% of uses use 50% of the bandwidth available.  Of course it might be pirates now..  but with downloadable video becoming the norm, a lot of networks are gonna have some real problems pretty soon.

-dp

rocarmy4life

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »

FiOS = 30mbps down
Just buffer a little and HD streaming is VERY possible

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »

3 mbit well even if your a bandwith hog your not gonna be using it all. leg and slow servers that are the norm on the net makes it nearly inpossabale. not to metion compression on video is relly good a standerd def live movie is only like a gig and thats wmv shotty compression most people download more then that daly. vp6 video in winamp is acully very small if iptv uses that kind of compression it relly whont be as mutch as a bandwith hog as you think.

afortaleza

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 04:20:00 AM »

If Google does not scale, somebody will.

Justincredibal

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »

I will stick with my HIGH DEF television shows. They will no tbe streaming high def, atleast for a long ass time, with iptv.

Ill stick with my picture perfect high def quality and tv tuner on my computer. I do not see the need for iptv.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »

you do knoe hd is just high rez video. pcs have been doing hd for years they pretty mutch gave tvs monoter reslustions we have been doing for the last 15 years lol.

This post has been edited by luther349: Feb 9 2007, 03:46 PM