xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: ExtremeTech: Xbox 360's Seriously Flawed DVD Playback  (Read 629 times)

Tobb555

• Archived User
ExtremeTech: Xbox 360's Seriously Flawed DVD Playback
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »

I dont belive this for a second for two reasons. The first being I use my 360 as a DVD player all the time and it looks great, second they use the term "jaggies" and no review website trying to be profession should never use that term. Saying it has lack of "Antialiasing" yes, saying it has "jaggies". No.. Not even close to being professional.

Consoleman!

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »

Keep in mind that your results will vary based on what TV you have and how you have it set up.  If you don't believe the author's results are honest, you can always fire back with your own test results.

If your players aren't exhibiting the same symptoms, prove the man wrong.  Seeing you do so would be very interesting indeed.

Interfire

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

Man I don't know what they did or how they managed to get those results, but I have no reason to believe that article at all. They had to have just got a faulty one or something, I've seen several and they are nothing like that.

kneehighspy

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »

the 360 dvd isn't that horrible, but i can tell a difference between it and my ps3's playback of regular dvd's and the ps3 is noticeably better than my 360, so i use my ps3 for dvd's now instead of my 360, but it's basically the only thing i use my ps3 for since there is shit for games.

jhoff80

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tobb555 @ Jan 31 2007, 05:49 PM) View Post

I dont belive this for a second for two reasons. The first being I use my 360 as a DVD player all the time and it looks great, second they use the term "jaggies" and no review website trying to be profession should never use that term. Saying it has lack of "Antialiasing" yes, saying it has "jaggies". No.. Not even close to being professional.

Uh, except for DVDs, its ADDING jagged edges that aren't there in the source.   DVD players aren't supposed to have anti-aliasing, they're supposed to properly display the source.

For all you people who are saying your 360 works great as a DVD player, you should maybe read the article a little more in depth.  Most of the tests that it fails, are based on DIFFICULT videos to play.  By difficult I mean, most of these tests are completely irrelevant on 95% of all DVDs.  That being said, some of these results ARE disappointing.  Namely, the fact that it doesn't do proper 3:2 pulldown detection and de-interlacing.

It seems like most of these problems though are an artifact of poor deinterlacing in the DVD software, and they really should be easily fixable.  Just because your DVDs don't display these problems doesn't mean that you should cut Microsoft any slack on this.

jimjom

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »

seems like it's safe to assume this guys experience is a pretty isolated incident. i watch dvds all the time at 1080i on my samsung 32" crt, looks great. sharp enough for me! looks better than any of my other dvd players.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »

The dvd player in the 360 isn't great but it isn't that bad either. Man those pictures of the 360 look HORRIBLE, maybe there's is broken. dry.gif

SteveNZ

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Landlocked @ Jan 31 2007, 08:09 PM) View Post

Is it me or does that dude in the church robe look like Ned Flanders?

It's Michael Palin.

They're comparing this against a fairly high-end DVD player for a start which is a bad idea. My mid-range Sony HDMI DVD player does a better job of playing DVDs, but it's a standalone unit that cost almost as much as the 360 itself.

Apart from the unbearable noise from my 360 while watching movies (much louder than my friends one to my annoyance), there is no WAY that the image quality is as bad as these guys make out. It's still not particularly great, but unless you're using fairly high end gear then it's fine. I'm pretty sure the base DVD playback software is exactly the same as that used on the original Xbox, it certainly was before the HD-DVD compatibility upgrades.

I think it now does upscaling playback of 480p DVDs which is a nice bonus, but there isn't any reason that with the power the 360 has, they couldn't write a professional grade DVD playback algorithm, and it'd be nice if they did. PowerDVD runs better on lesser hardware, and Microsoft is a fairly large company, hopefully this article, even it if is a bit over the top, spurs them into action.

thirdeye555

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »

I use my 360 to watch dvds all the time and it works great, never looked nearly as bad as in those pics. my 360 reads much better than my xbox with XBMC, many discs that XBMC wont read, my 360 has no problems with.

poisonousjuice

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »

my 360 DVD playback is fine.

...however, my unit is very unforgiving when it comes to scratches on the disc.  anyone else have similar experiences?

TheIrishLad

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »

They should have tested it with the VGA cables upscaled to 1080p instead of component cables which limits DVD playback to 480p.

Fyb3roptik

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »

Oh man why is this on the news? There is no problem with it.....mine works perfect and always has!!

Unless they have like 10 360's doing the same thing I dont wanna hear about it. If its just 1 then who cares?

smitty2003

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »

These images are obviously photoshopped. My 360 has never looked like that, in fact ive never seen any dvd look like that from any dvd player ive ever used.

NE ways there not much i could say that hasnt alrteady been said.

I love my 360

dhrandy1

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »

I've never seen anything bad with mine.

funnyperson1

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »

I don't disagree, we watched the same DVD on my roommates Xbox360 as my Xbox with XBMC and XBMC looked a LOT better.  Of course this is almost entirely because of XBMC's upconversion on the 720p LCD, but still MS should have some software upconversion on a "next-gen HD" console.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6