xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: ExtremeTech: Xbox 360's Seriously Flawed DVD Playback  (Read 630 times)

Peter Gibbons

• Archived User
ExtremeTech: Xbox 360's Seriously Flawed DVD Playback
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »

yet another reason why you should buy xbox1 instead of xbox 360!!!

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »

Seeing as I own Monty Python's Meaning of Life, I'll see if it's as unplayable as they say.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »

Yeah the xbox360 is like the most awesome dvdplayer around, that article is definitely written by a ps3 fanboy out to throw shit at the superior xbox360....NOT

They do say that some titles get effected more then others by the 360 lacking dvdplayer, Not that many titles looks as crap as the monthy python one..

"even those movies that play without noticeable errors don't look quite as good as they should. Though the 360 is limited to 480p through component, in compliance with the DVD Forum's regulations, the images tend to have a bit of a blocky and over-sharp look to them. Microsoft's gaming box does a good job of preserving detail, but it sometimes looks a bit rough. It's like playing a game at low resolution without antialiasing."

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »

I use the 360's HD DVD player to play standard DVDs.. Never had any problems with it; though I don't spend my time looking for such problems either.

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »

I have a few problems with their review.

First.. while they make constant comments regarding how a 100$ player can outperform the 360. why'd they use an 800$ player for the tests and the visual proof?

They'd go alot further convincing people if they had used that 100$ player in the review.

Second.. the Denon does alot of Noise reduction per frame as evidenced by the screen captures they made. Now.. that can do some interesting things per frame.. but one of the side effects is that it will smooth out all the jaggies.. and that isn't always a good thing. Details get tossed and thrown away sometimes.

A proper DVD video capability review.. needs to be reviewed with VIDEO.. no stills. We don't watch it frame by frame. We watch it MOVING.

Have them make high quality video clips using both units.. and ideally the 100$ unit as well.. so we can see the video as it's meant to be viewed.

I don't know about you.. but regardless of what player I watch a DVD or HDDVD or BR DVD on.. when I pause I tend to not like what I see. However, when the image is moving as it naturally does.. it looks great.

I do agree with one thing.. many cheapass set top player perform amazingly well.

I however do not agree with how low the 360 did on their tests.

It's not a BAD player. It's just not a great player. For what it is.. a multipurpose device.. it's more than adequate.

gaming fanboy

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xx The 0ne xX @ Jan 31 2007, 07:56 PM) View Post

wowww, this better get fixed or m$ is gonna get a bitch phone call from me

call them, and see if they care.  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

while playback isn't nearly as bad as the article makes it out to be the DVD playback on the 360 is definitely crap. I can't comment on how it is through HD-DVD player as I don't own one, but my old $50 Walmart Special AKIA brand DVD player produces a more solid picture then the 360 does.

Black levels and shadow detail are crap with no user adjustments available.

Not to mention the digital audio stream (in some games too) will drop out in dead silence causing most auto sensing receivers to hiccup when the sound comes back on... this is particularly annoying while navigating menus that include sound effects.

If you've got an Xbox1 XMBC is hands down the better DVD player. My only gripe with XBMC is that the IR remote support is a bit lacking still.

Though in the Xbox 360's defense it was a bit unfair of the author to compare it to a Denon player... who arguably make some of the highest quality DVD players on the market.

-Spud-

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »

I have a $6000 720p projector. DVD is below average on the 360. XBMC plays DVD way better. But my cheap $80 no-name Progressive Scan DVD player looks best.

They claim both the 360 and Denon screenshots were running in 480p mode. I'm telling you right now if your DVD player looks like that in 480p on a progressive scan display unit then something is wrong. Even the Denon screenshots look bad.

They also claim that using a VGA cable for the 360 and running it upscaled doesnt make any difference to the bad picture they were getting.

I think the main problem here is taking screenshots on a 4ms LCD TV while in motion. This will make any image look pretty nasty.

Majkey88

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »

ill just made my own comparison.

The Xbox 360
http://img235.images...2563/360kh0.jpg

My standalone Panasonic Home Theater
http://img233.images...5262/dvdya9.jpg

The 360 owns my Panasonic!

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(-Spud- @ Jan 31 2007, 03:04 PM) View Post

I think the main problem here is taking screenshots on a 4ms LCD TV while in motion. This will make any image look pretty nasty.

another problem with their review methods. ^

chuckthefuk

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »

I have never had a problem with quality issues on my 360..    it looks and runs identical to my DivX DVD Player and my   VHS/DVD Samsung Combo  player..    aswell as my PC...

- Real DVD's  (100%)
- Burnt DVD's (100%)

All tested on  HD/VGA/RCA and to say the least..  Coax..  

Then again I am one of the few who has no issues with my 360...

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »

I know I have an un-popular opinion: Who cares. To me the 360 is like an emergency DVD player, if there is no settop available. As long as I can watch a DVD while I am on the road or something that is fine with me. I am not worried about how perfect the picture is. DVD playback is a bonus to me, not a feature I guess...

That being said, if there are problems, MS$ should improve them if they can...

snake36

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xx The 0ne xX @ Jan 31 2007, 07:56 PM) View Post

wowww, this better get fixed or m$ is gonna get a bitch phone call from me

LOL if you never noticed that it was bad when you WATCHED dvds then why are you complaining now when some guy runs a benchmark on it..

I_LIVE_IN_COMPTON

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »

HAHA! You cant do that kind of comparision! How much did the Denon Cost? $1000, $2000?

most people don't have that kinda money to be buying a Denon.

DugFreez

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »

I have a 46" Samsung 1080P LCD and a 360 hooked to it using a Microsoft VGA cable....and The Meaning of Life on DVD......and I say:

This article is absolute rubbish. If the 360 did as bad at playing DVDs as the screen shots show it would be noticed by everyone. I actually unhooked my $200 Oppo up-converting DVD as soon as Microsoft patched the 360 to up-convert DVD through VGA. It looked alot better than the highly rated Oppo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6