xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Using A 360 For High Def. Playback?  (Read 84 times)

zombie4rave

• Archived User
Using A 360 For High Def. Playback?
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »

I'm kinda in the same boat.  I don't like going through the hassle of re-encoding video nor do I like the various transcoding apps available.   I run MCE 2005 on my PC with the Purevideo plugin installed.  This works fine for streaming TS files which is what most of my content is in anyway.  Honestly, since I have both an HD DVD and Blu Ray player now I haven't found myself streaming too much anymore.   The quality is much better on the disc based formats.

XboxMisfit

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »

Are you streaming to your 360 via MCE or is your PC connected directly to your HDTV i.e. not using the 360 at all? How is it with other formats (avi, mkv?).

I can't wait to start building a HD disc library however where I'm currently living this won't happen for a little while, so I'm looking for a solution for watching ripped content.

Out of interest which HD player do you prefer (HD-DVD/ Bluray)? The 360 HD-DVD looks like a great buy.

I'm trying to remember a system I've seen before where the signal for a PCs mouse/ keyboard and VGA was sent through ethernet over a long distance, and then reconverted next to the CRT monitor via a switching box. I'm wondering if this could be used for a HDTV screen? My situation is that my HDTV is 4 rooms away from where my PC is. Running ethernet between the two is fine but a VGA/ DVI cable isn't so practical.

ashlar42

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 02:58:00 AM »

Unfortunately VGA over Ethernet solutions don't include sound... at least not the ones that I know of.