xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: on10 about new IPTV feature coming to Xbox360 - 9min Video  (Read 141 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
on10 about new IPTV feature coming to Xbox360 - 9min Video
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 9 00:43 EST

From on10.net (FYI: on10 is a Microsoft owned blog):

You heard it from the mouth of Microsoft "Carbon" is official. Now xbox lovers can enjoy episodes of their favorite television shows from the comfort of their wireless 360 controllers. They've added television into the menu in your dashboard. Jesse sat down with the brains behind the feature and talk about multi-tasking. Now you can watch Desperate Housewives and Tyra all at the same time. But don't worry your friends will still think you're playing Halo.

Go watch/download the 9mins video with an exclusive look and information behind the IPTV interface on Xbox360 (you'll see a lot more than shown during the CES keynote): on10.net

mastaful

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »

Any of you notice this in the video?
(IMG:http://originalgamers.net/OGPics/Untitled-2.gif)
thats one big HD (125gig? heh)...if that what it is...

Alkane

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(mastaful @ Jan 9 2007, 02:01 AM) *

Its the dev kit.

TexT12

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 01:38:00 AM »

BEST NEWS EVER.
As long as I don't have to buy new HW...

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 03:30:00 AM »

sorry cannot watch the video....but any of these IPTV feature available outside USA

NIA BackStabber

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »

is there any info on when its gonna be available

9nine9

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »

Maybe some one could clear this up for me???  Is Microsoft going to actually provide the service or are they just enabling the 360 to do IPTV to work on  Say AT&T's new IPTV Network.  right in the beginning the video keeps freezing on the guys TV and he make the comment about QOS and the services provider.  So The big question is any one with Broadband and a 360 going to be able to use this or is this limited to people who live in certain areas .

vapidentity

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »

I'm thinking what they will do is, if your area will not have an iptv service option, you will be able to use your "Media Center" PC as a iptv server. So basically if you have a TV tuner card on your pc and you're able to do livetv on it you will be able to watch TV through your computer in a way... It's really early so I'm not sure if that made sense. Makes sense to me though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Altima NEO

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(mastaful @ Jan 8 2007, 11:01 PM) *

They mentioned they had a different Xbox being shown for IPTV. I wonder if thats the hardware for hooking up to video input or whatever? Im still not sure how IPTV works.

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(vapidentity @ Jan 9 2007, 02:39 PM) *

I'm thinking what they will do is, if your area will not have an iptv service option, you will be able to use your "Media Center" PC as a iptv server. So basically if you have a TV tuner card on your pc and you're able to do livetv on it you will be able to watch TV through your computer in a way... It's really early so I'm not sure if that made sense. Makes sense to me though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Right.

Also to the person asking if MS is providing the service --- No, they are not. They are simply allowing actual IPTV services to play through the 360.

At first, before the CES video and now this video, I thought this IPTV news was ho-hum. But now after seeing it in action I am very impressed. There's still some things I am questioning about the service, though. Like, why is MS enabling/allowing and pushing for IPTV now just 2 months after the whole "Video Marketplace" was put out? Won't the IPTV services people will be able to use be in direct competition to MS's VM?

I am also fearing just how popular this IPTV feature on the 360 will be. Sure it looks very impressive and all, but I don't know a single person who uses IPTV. I can see IPTV being very popular in 2-5 years or so (I mean popular on the scale of a cable or satellite company, anyway) but I think when it's launched Q4 that maybe 1 in 100 Xbox 360 owners will be using it at best. Doesn't that seem like a waste in a way?

It's a really cool looking feature of the 360, but I don't see myself using it for a long time if ever. Am I the only one?

jamie123

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »

this is really cool, but the whole thing about xbox that really bothers me is that you have to pay extra for everything...so, my big question.

is this going to be free?

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(jamie123 @ Jan 9 2007, 04:25 PM) *

this is really cool, but the whole thing about xbox that really bothers me is that you have to pay extra for everything...so, my big question.
is this going to be free?

Of course it's not. Free tv service? You must be living on planet "Perfect World".

MS is offering a free IPTV application for you to use with a subscription-based IPTV service. MS only offers the medium, the service comes from the service providers, and yes, they charge. If you're not happy with this fee, complain to them -- NOT Microsoft.

jamie123

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Jan 9 2007, 04:32 PM) *

Of course it's not. Free tv service? You must be living on planet "Perfect World".

MS is offering a free IPTV application for you to use with a subscription-based IPTV service. MS only offers the medium, the service comes from the service providers, and yes, they charge. If you're not happy with this fee, complain to them -- NOT Microsoft.

ahh okay, i thought it was a microsoft-based service, kinda like the tv shows and movies they offer now.

youloseagain

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »

They mentioned they had a different Xbox being shown for IPTV. I wonder if thats the hardware for hooking up to video input or whatever? Im still not sure how IPTV works.

They said they're working with 17? providers around the world to roll this out.

is there any info on when its gonna be available

The video mentions end of this year around nov/ december.

"IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) is a system where a digital television service is delivered using the Internet Protocol over a network infrastructure, which may include delivery by a broadband connection. " Basically TV over a lan or high speed internet connection in streaming form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iptv