xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Live Marketplace Videos vs. HD-DVD  (Read 69 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox Live Marketplace Videos vs. HD-DVD
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:20:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | December 6 00:44 EST

From xyhd.tv:

Lets start with the Basics.  HD-DVD has the potential to be 36.55 Megabits per second, but tends to average about half of that. Marketplace videos or at least the one I checked out 'V for Vendetta' is 6.5 Megabits VBR. Account for 720p vs 1080p and you are looking at about 2.25 more pixels so pixels per bit the two are pretty close.

Conclusion
HD-DVD is spectacular I was unable to find a single artifact in the copy of 'V for Vendetta' the same was true for Tokyo Drift which is rather hard content to encode. Marketplace videos on most TV's in most home theatres, also spectacular. You being the Video enthusiast and cocky SOB that you probably think you have a home theatre that the quality difference will matter, well you are probably wrong.

Unless you have:
* A 1080p Display, that really runs at 1920x1080 as its native resolution.
* Have paid someone to calibrate the TV to reference, not the Dynamic, or Vibrant mode that many TV's are set to.
* Have disabled noise reduction on your TV.
* Are Viewing in a theatre lit room.

Read More: xyhd.tv

gerzand

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

Well arent you quite the expert..... sleeping.gif

ErichMoraga

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 12:49:00 AM »

Westinghouse 37" monitor with 1920x1080 native resolution (1080p direct input) via VGA connection, calibrated, and lights off.  Looks like I meet the stringent criteria  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Time to watch the Tokyo Drift HD-DVD now  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

-Erich

pdottz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:37:00 AM »

it's all bullshit when it really comes down to it.

yeah 1080p is spectacular no questions asked.

but why waste the space? if a video looks just as good at 6.5 as it does at 36.5, what's the point?

the rest is all just overkill. a waste of bandwidth and needed hdd space.

36.5 for a movie that was shot and looks grainy at editing is not going to add clarity to the final output.

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »

When the HD-DVD drive came out I thought it was gonna blow me away.  

Yes i can tell it does look better then nomral DVD does.  But on my 720p 23' LCD.  (Yes I know) it doesn't look as good as games look on it.

-Spud-

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »

You being the Video enthusiast and cocky SOB that you probably think you have a home theatre that the quality difference will matter, well you are probably wrong.

Unless you have:
* A 1080p Display, that really runs at 1920x1080 as its native resolution.
* Have paid someone to calibrate the TV to reference, not the Dynamic, or Vibrant mode that many TV's are set to.
* Have disabled noise reduction on your TV.
* Are Viewing in a theatre lit room.

What about a 1080p display with HDMI connection? Oh wait sorry, your stuck with an analog signal. tongue.gif

If he's going to be that picky and then slag us all at the same time, why does he even have an Xbox 360? You'd think he would prefer a stand alone HD-DVD player with HDMI or even a PS3!