xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft's Scott Henson on TV and movies  (Read 141 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft's Scott Henson on TV and movies
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 8 00:44 EST

From joystiq.com:

We recently had a chance to speak with Scott Henson, director of platform strategy for the Xbox 360, to get some more details on the high-definition movie and television downloads service.

Henson told us that the files would indeed be stored locally on the 360's optional hard drive unit; there would not be an option to stream videos from your Windows computer (after all, there are already ways to do that). The files will (predictably) be in Microsoft's proprietary WMV format, which has already proven to be a reliable delivery mechanism for HD content. Using this codec, they estimate a 22 minute high-definition television program (sans commercials) will weigh in at approximately 1GB, while the standard definition variant (which you will automatically own as well) will top out around 300MB. Due to bandwidth considerations, storage realities, and their insistence that 720p is the "sweet spot" for high-definition content, all Marketplace movies and television shows (like the existing trailers) will max out at 720p.

Henson said you'll have two weeks to start that downloaded movie rental and, once you have, you'll have 24 hours to finish it. Inside that 24 hour window, you'll be allowed to watch the rental as many times as you like. The television shows are download to own, similar to the iTunes Store. If you get a new hard drive, you'll be able to download them over again, as many times as you like.

Read More: joystiq.com

Techmaster

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:19:00 PM »

If you get a new hard drive...

I like this part myself...you don't have to look too deeply to see what he's getting at.

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »

Ya download to own.......on your 20GB 360 hard drive.  Im sorry thats laughable.

If I OWN something then I can do what I want with it.  In this case, your 360 aka ms still owns the movie lol.

I can take a cd, dvd, pen drive with mp3's wherever I want.  I cant take the media out of the 360?  So now instead of a cd, dvd, or thumb drive, a hot, vacuum cleaner sounding machine is the vehicle?

This post has been edited by Heet: Nov 8 2006, 06:41 AM

sgr215

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heet @ Nov 8 2006, 12:34 AM) *

Ya download to own.......on your 20GB 360 hard drive.  Im sorry thats laughable.

It sure is.  uhh.gif

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 11:52:00 PM »

hmm south park in 720p

statement

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:18:00 AM »

i think they should let user upgrade the HD them self cause people not going to pay $150 for 80GB HD when
u can get 40Gb for $45   120GB for $99  and when the competition is letting you upgrade to what ever size u want.

I'm sure there could be an modified case to let you plugin a 3.5inch drive (on top of your xbox) and pay $90 for 300GB  tongue.gif

and on top of that crappy prices on HD content and Music

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 05:09:00 AM »

Now if they start selling TV series in box sets for HD-DVD and get all the movies for HD-DVD that are on Market Place then again, I'm going to get HD-DVD! If it turns out to be the winning format. I know HD-DVD has some DRM format but at least you buy a hard retail pressed disk of the movie that doesn't disappear.

I don't know why they have done this TBH, I think they have shot them selves in the foot. I just hope HD-DVD wins the format war!

Maybe they should post you a hard copy of the TV show or Movie when you buy from Market Place (or even a HD-DVD version) cause I just don't understand this blink.gif

I know it's successful with Itunes but at least you can keep your stuff longer than 14 days.

This post has been edited by bucko: Nov 8 2006, 01:11 PM

Edina

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 05:32:00 AM »

How do you guys think storage on the HD will work? I mean like, do you think they'll leave where they store it on an unlocked portion of the HD so we could connect it to our PC and snatch it off? via like x360 or sata

dr3yec

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 07:03:00 AM »

I think I would find better options to watch my tv shows and movies. This to me is bad for me. Maybe to some it is great. Restrictions never settled with me much. I will stay away from anything with drm in it.  cussing.gif

Gigabulloba

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »

I get the feeling some people are missing the point.  The way I understand it, with movies it's a rental service.  People don't complain about not being able to keep movies as long as they want when they rent them from blockbuster.  How is this so different?

sentinel0

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »

A big part you guys are missing about the 360's HDD is that it's not just a normal ide HDD it's a SATA drive and there still new and fairly expensive and that is why the cost as they are.

gabe681

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

Sounds to me like Microsoft is trying to start its own "On Demand Service"  Pretty much like the cable company already offers.

Just another way for them to say our device does so much more than games, and it makes them a but load of Cash.  Hense why you see everybody always using the "M$" instead of MS.

spoone

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »

i would like to know if this is exclusive to the US.
or will these movies and series be available in europe too?
i don't think so, but hopefully i'm wrong.

spoone
 iamwithstupid.gif

Lord Serebi

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

i'm glad they are being logical about having them at 720p. everyone likes to argue over the HD 1080 and such because the number is bigger but if your screen is less than 42 inches then 1080 is pointless. All the samsung DLP's  that are at all the kiosks won't show you any difference in 1080 because of their screen size. Most people won't be buying a large screen for high def, just something that says "hdtv" so its good microsoft realizes this even if the consumer doesn't.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heet @ Nov 8 2006, 01:34 AM) *

If I OWN something then I can do what I want with it.  In this case, your 360 aka ms still owns the movie lol.
I can take a cd, dvd, pen drive with mp3's wherever I want.  I cant take the media out of the 360?  So now instead of a cd, dvd, or thumb drive, a hot, vacuum cleaner sounding machine is the vehicle?

They need to protect their assets and I'm also sure the contracts they have with the various media outlets stipulated DRM or no-go.  Why do people have a hard time getting this?  If MS, et al, didn't use DRM people would be free to make perfect digital copies and send them all over the interweb.  MS can't know who will download and copy for personal use and who would like to save a buck and get it for free or people who will download HD content and sell it.

In this digital age entertainment companies fear perfect digital reproductions that would essentially make it pointless to buy the real thing.

I understand that having the content locked to a console is annoying, but there isn't really any other way.  I also suggest you read you EULA and other fine print.  You don't own the music or movie; you own a disc that contains the movie.  NO, I don't about care about personal backups or converting for various media devices, I'm all for fair use, but again you can't know ahead of time who will be responsible and who will make copies for their entire family or start selling the disc on eBay, etc.

Also if any of you are shareholders with these companies you should be happy, they're protecting their/your interest.

QUOTE(sentinel0 @ Nov 8 2006, 12:15 PM) *

A big part you guys are missing about the 360's HDD is that it's not just a normal ide HDD it's a SATA drive and there still new and fairly expensive and that is why the cost as they are.

Are you new?  SATA drives cost the same as PATA.  I.e. Fry's has both versions of Seagates new 7200.10 at the same price point.

This post has been edited by silentbob343: Nov 8 2006, 07:13 PM