xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Fall '06 Dashboard Update: Supported Video Formats  (Read 705 times)

Vidness

• Archived User
Fall '06 Dashboard Update: Supported Video Formats
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 09:09:00 AM »

The only stuff I have in .wmv format already  is pron. smile.gif  Which, I guess, isn't a terrible thing that it's the first real stuff that's playable.  But yeah, I don't see them coming around on other formats.   It's all about business...Freaking greed!

infamous_Q

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »

this is just streaming from wmp11 right? and mce on 360 is also just streaming....so isn't it possible for someone to make a plugin for wmp11 so that it transcodes to wmv automatically?

notguiltystyle

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(aross6 @ Nov 1 2006, 03:34 PM) View Post

To address the first part, unfortunately I don't know of anything quicker... Riverpast does a good job but it takes 3 hrs to convert a 114mb xvid file to a 339mb wmv file.  Kinda sucky...

*By the way, what settings do you use on Riverpast and how's it look on your console?

To address the second part, you are SPOT ON!  Shitty of M$, but a good move to get into the Market....

I converted one occ thos "HD Planet Earth" jobbies avi to wmv. Ok it is about 2gig to start of with, but it took me an staggering 20 Hours. Thats insane!

I just use the best setting for everything because I dont want to loos any quality on the HD stuff. Another shitty thing is that I loose the dolby 5.1 when I do the conversion (only Stereo). So I have this really nice THX amp but because MS wants me to convert my blady files, its pretty much useless. I cant even begin to describe how much it anoys me. I dont like sony products but trust me Iv had anough of MS. I am defnitly buying a PS3 any dicthing this grubby media center because it is useless.

sillyboydarryl

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »

lol.. the complaints...

no one will argue that almost 100 percent of everyones tv and movie file format is in divx or xvid..

but lets face it...

1. Divx technology is not their technology (so it would cost em)

2. wmv actually does a better job for High Definition files (www.tomshardware.com)

3. to be able to encode to a high quality divx file.. you actually need to buy divx pro to do so... if you want to encode to a high quality hd wmv file.. its all free.. (so for you divx super fans.. it'll cost YOU to encode... not that anyone actually encodes their own stuff)

4.  Go to Gametrailers.com and download any WMV HD file... and put it on a cd or dvd.. then put it in the 360.. and tell me it doesn't look amazing...

5.  rumour has it that the 360 will be allowing x264 playback in future updates. (hinted by a xbox media programmer a while back)..

thats actually the format you should be begging for.. divx and wmv both have a major weakness... they're a bit soft in the end..

And x264 is actually a tecnology licensed for the xbox 360 through ati/amd

but then again.. encoding to x264 is a pain in the but still.....

on a 805 dual core .. with tmpgenc xpress 3..

I encoded a divx hd file into a wmv hd file in 15 minutes...

so no... it doesnt take forever.. and you dont need the best of the best parts to do it...

you just need to know how to encode to this format...

ubiman

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(notguiltystyle @ Nov 1 2006, 10:16 AM) View Post

I hear what you are saying but if this is a "licensing issue" why does XBMC offer these codecs for free?
Well, that is because XBMC is a free program from a company that doesn't compile the code. They just make the source code.

forzadude2

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »

Anyone got a list of new resolutions with the VGA cable?
Can I do 1080p with VGA an fall update?

sillyboydarryl

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »

ob110k,

MS isn't stating that they agree or disagree.  Lets face it, the xbox360 may never have been built with divx in mind... and may not be suitable.  But it was  definately made for wmv playback.

trust me on the performance tab.  I've done the tests with each setting.  There is no noticable difference in quality to the naked eye .. (especially in motion).. and you save up to ridiculous speed...

notguiltystyle,

its true.. you will lose the thx if you stick with the wmv format.. (though there is a way around that through a wmv avi wrapper (not sure if it works on the 360.. testing tonight))

BUT.. you are NOT stuck with stereo...

go to windows media encoding page..

they have a bunch of files... get the encoder 95sdk

and get the advanced codec.. (they added support for this codec with this update)

there you can select v9 advance for video (the new VC-1 format that is accepted for the new HDTV video format.. cough cough.. )

and select v9 professional for audio...

that will allow you to select 5.1 surround sound audio for encoding....

now that you have a 20 hour encoded file... keep it...

encode the same file to another name with these new settings.... and put the performance tab one marker away from the left.. and then find out what i've been talking about

cheerios!

aross6

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(sillyboydarryl @ Nov 1 2006, 12:08 PM) View Post

go to windows media encoding page..

Windows Media Encoder is a PILE!  It always errors when trying to convert from DivX/Xvid to WMV for everyone....

sillyboydarryl

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »

I will not argue that the microsoft wmv encoder software is rather weak in importing xvid or divx... or cough cough.. many other formats.. heck.. it has issues with dvr-ms

and that is ms other windows codec... *based on mpeg2*

but in order to encode to the needed file format such as 5.1 surround sound and vc-1...

you need to install that plus the advanced codecs and sdk

like i said.. my preference of wmv encoding for ease of use is actually tmpgenc xpress

and tmpgenc xpress will encode a divx file to a wmv file with no problems..

*truth is.. you can get a divx file to encode in the standard encoder.. but its too complicated to even be worth the hassle*

and lets face it..

the xbox 360 is for the HD generation of games and video...

look at the resolutions of your xvid or divx files.... are they 1280x720 or 1080p

nope...

the real fun is recording hdtv with a hdtv tuner card..

you get a ts file...

lets just say this..

i recorded lotr and that file weighed in at 27 gigs ....

i would rather leave it untouched...  but the 360 couldnt handle that.. and um.. i'd run out of space.. it'd take one 80 gig hard drive just to keep the lotr series on the hard drive...

you'll appreciate the quality of wmv hd when you go from a TS file ...

MattyT

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

The PS3 will have support for everything mpeg (including MP4). It will not support DivX or Xvid out of the box. However, the PS3 will include Linux out of the box, so id probably expect some kind of codec to be made pretty damn quickly  sleep.gif  .

Step up your game M$  ph34r.gif

Oh and Darryl, what your saying has considerable meaning, but that doesnt mean the IPB Image key has to be pressed every half a second tongue.gif.

FUCKMICROSOFT

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »

yea, ps3 supports linux just like the dreamcasts supports windows CE.  its a marketing tool for idiots to think that the ps3 has one up on the 360.  PM me when you recieve your ps3 and its running yellowdog on your retail box.  better off, PM me from the ps3 with linux.   laugh.gif

sillyboydarryl

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »

tips for encoding.. hmmm..

well.. the settings i usually use is VBR quality

the problem with it.. is you cant control the stream during this encoding... and that means you have no idea how large it'll be at the end...

but I usually encode around 85-95 quality...  and get about 3-4 gigs wmvhd files for 2-2.5 hour movies with 5.1 sound...

what I normally do is encode a demo file..

I'll take 2 minutes of footage that usually involves music and dialogue and a lot of motion...

I start encoding the file at 95 quality and go down one step until i can see a noticeable difference in visual quality ...

if i see a difference.. i stick to the last acceptable number and hit encode..

the truth is.. your long hd movies will take a while to encode..

so here is probably my best advice:

SLEEP lol

leave your machine on over night.  or while you're at work lol...

When it comes to encoding TS files to wmv hd... I cant say i actually use tmpgenc xpress

i use the techniques from avs forums... and it appears to be too much to handle at first.. but once you get the hang of it (took me about 20 mins to figure it out)... the output is much better than that of tmpgenc or even the standard encoder from ms

remember if you want to watch your wmvhd files on dvd.. you'll  need to use the UDF format..

and if you're going to be encoding for a usb hard drive..

stick with under 4 gig files....  *FAT32 LIMITATION*

MattyT

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(FUCKMICROSOFT @ Nov 1 2006, 05:45 PM) View Post

yea, ps3 supports linux just like the dreamcasts supports windows CE.  its a marketing tool for idiots to think that the ps3 has one up on the 360.  PM me when you recieve your ps3 and its running yellowdog on your retail box.  better off, PM me from the ps3 with linux.   laugh.gif

Lol, ive got better things to do with my time and money  tongue.gif , i just bought a pack of 100,000 dominos from ebay, twice the fun AND ill get them in time for christmas  jester.gif .

Caldor

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(aross6 @ Nov 2 2006, 01:53 AM) View Post

The 360 will play:
Windows Media Video 7 (WMV1)
Windows Media Video 8 (WMV2)
Windows Media Video 9 (WMV3)
Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile (WVC1)

The 360 will not play:
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V3 (MP43)
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2 (MP42)
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1 (MP41)
Windows Media Screen V9 (MSS2)
Windows Media Screen V7 (MSS1)
Windows Media Video 9 Image (WMVP)
Windows Media Video 9 Image v2 (WVP2)
ISO MPEG-4 Video V1 (MP4S)

I believe WMV-HD is Windows Media Video 9 (WMV3), so it should, but I can be wrong....

This is not correct under all circumstances. Refer to my post earlier.

rollerbldes

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Caldor @ Nov 1 2006, 02:27 PM) View Post

This is not correct under all circumstances. Refer to my post earlier.

I'm sorry to say this, but you are incorrect. Do not think running vista makes you so much better than all else. Running the 360 as a media center extender does just that. The video is not decoded on your 360. It is decoded on your PC, then the video streamed to the 360. Have a great day. happy.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5