xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Fall '06 Dashboard Update: Supported Video Formats  (Read 706 times)

Caldor

• Archived User
Fall '06 Dashboard Update: Supported Video Formats
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 01:31:00 AM »

Microsoft says part of the unsupported codecs is WMVP and WVP2 yet in Vista media centre extender I can stream both these codecs onto the 360 no problems. However playback via usbkey wont work.

Also, you talk about non square pixels and while playback via usbkey provides the wrong display aspect ratio, playback via vista media centre extender respects the anamorphic footage and displays it correctly.

Also WMVA plays back no issues both usbkey and streaming off mcextnd vista.

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 01:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(ca102455 @ Nov 1 2006, 03:04 AM) View Post

Can anyone advise on how to stream wmv using Windows Media Player 11 ? I've been through just about every option i cant see anywhere how to pair the two devices together?

All help appreciated, thanks smile.gif

well firstly make sure ya goten the final release from microsoft (came out about the same time as the fall update:last night) with media player 11 open right click on the top of WMP and click tools then options the options dialouge box will come up and then go to Library and then Configure Sharing then the rest is obvious have fun  pop.gif  ohh and then try to search for your computer on you 360 and make sure to allow your 360 when it pops up on your computer

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 03:07:00 AM »

Everybody post a comment (about wanting DivX) in the xbox team blog. Maybe they might listen, but I doubt it. Such a shame M$.

SomeoneX

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 03:29:00 AM »

When will Microsoft stop shoving their crappy media formats like WMV and WMA down people's throats? If they want to stop people attempting to crack the 360 to make it into a fully fledged media player, they need to support the common formats.

It's simple, just licence the damn codecs. Charge a small fee on the marketplace to download them or something if needs be. Still, don't you just love how MS can be so short sighted?

Plagued

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 03:55:00 AM »

WMV is actually quite a good format. Quite a lot of people have been using it for HD content for some time now.
I agree that the issue of licencing could be sorted out by downloading the codec for say 200 points.
You have to bear in mind here that MS has the whole Media center business to try and protect. With TVR boxes becoming more common and the xbox able to play multiple formats the Media center market would drop before Vista makes it to market.
A high majority of other formats are used predominately for piracy, there's no reason why you shouldn't encode things, or "backup your DVD's" in WMV format.
What we've been given is a bonus, you couldn't do it before and you've lived with it. MS have said they will continually look at the media functionality, so they are not saying other codecs won't be supported, they are just saying this is a start, and in my opinion a good start.

Mr. Me

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 04:09:00 AM »

I just added my video folder to my media player library, and out of my 1,533 videos, 6 of them are wmv.  And they're all just video game previews that I can download and watch off live anyways.  Thanks Microsoft.

dr3yec

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 04:24:00 AM »

There is nothing cool about wmv files. sad.gif Do I need to say more? It will take the homebrew community to make 360 a media hub giant. Until then it is just a game console.

notguiltystyle

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 05:44:00 AM »

I know this is a shot in the dark and it probably wont work but someone has decided to create a pitition for DIVX on your 360. If you have a spare moment please sign this if you feel it could make a difference?

http://www.petitiono...e.com/Divx4360/

aross6

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(notguiltystyle @ Nov 1 2006, 03:20 AM) View Post

Format choice? This is one area in wich the xbox 360 fails badly. Even the cheapest DVD players on the market has got the ability to play DIVX, XVID,AVI ext.ext.... why not the Xbox 360??? In my opinion the xbox 360 will never be the full media center entertainment hub without these formats! This is very disapointing to know that these format will never be used because of DRM issues. But Microsoft still insist that they do listen to there consumers?

If, as M$ has professed multiple times, it's a licensing issue, then M$ should strike a deal w/ XviD (I prefer XviD over DivX because XviD is open-source and the codec is constantly being updated while DivX is closed and the codec isn't updated!) to allow consumers to purchase the XviD codec themselves over Xbox Live Marketplace.  This way, it takes the cost away from M$ and puts it on the consumer.  The consumers who want this feature, such as myself, will either pay for it or shut up & quit griping that it's not offered.  Easy solution....

notguiltystyle

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 07:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(aross6 @ Nov 1 2006, 02:07 PM) View Post

If, as M$ has professed multiple times, it's a licensing issue, then M$ should strike a deal w/ XviD (I prefer XviD over DivX because XviD is open-source and the codec is constantly being updated while DivX is closed and the codec isn't updated!) to allow consumers to purchase the XviD codec themselves over Xbox Live Marketplace.  This way, it takes the cost away from M$ and puts it on the consumer.  The consumers who want this feature, such as myself, will either pay for it or shut up & quit griping that it's not offered.  Easy solution....

I hear what you are saying but if this is a "licensing issue" why does XBMC offer these codecs for free?

aross6

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(notguiltystyle @ Nov 1 2006, 09:16 AM) View Post

I hear what you are saying but if this is a "licensing issue" why does XBMC offer these codecs for free?

XBMC, the dash for Xbox1, is not a program published by Microsoft; Media Center that runs on a PC uses the codec that consumers acquire the licensing for... the 360 console simply blocks the use of said codec from utilizing its hardware functions...

On a side note, I'm happy that Microsoft finally allowed consumers to run videos (even if they are WMVs) from a Disc. or USB device... this is a huge step toward a complete Media Hub and quite frankly a gracious one for users like myself who only have 70GB HDDs in their PC.

ob110k

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 08:00:00 AM »

Myself and I'm sure many others have a large Divx movie collection.  I chose divx initially because of it's widespread acceptance, but MS doesn't agree with the rest of the word so anyway....

Someone with the knowledge and skills could probably help thousands of people by writing up a better guide for proper, high quality, divx to wmv conversion.  Or DVD to wmv, for that matter... but as close to lossless as possible.  All the tools I've tried suck and make the video look like crap.  The AVSforum thread on hdtv to wmv conversion is a bit daunting.  

Something tells me MS will stick to it's guns and only support wmv long-term, so I want to begin the massive re-encoding process asap. ugh

aross6

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(ob110k @ Nov 1 2006, 10:07 AM) View Post

Myself and I'm sure many others have a large Divx movie collection.  I chose divx initially because of it's widespread acceptance, but MS doesn't agree with the rest of the word so anyway....

Someone with the knowledge and skills could probably help thousands of people by writing up a better guide for proper, high quality, divx to wmv conversion.  Or DVD to wmv, for that matter... but as close to lossless as possible.  All the tools I've tried suck and make the video look like crap.  The AVSforum thread on hdtv to wmv conversion is a bit daunting.  

Something tells me MS will stick to it's guns and only support wmv long-term, so I want to begin the massive re-encoding process asap. ugh

Try River Past Video Cleaner Pro... it works great for me and converts everything to everything... I've been using it to convert my XviDs to WMV and the quality is very nice!  www.riverpast.com

aross6

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 08:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(notguiltystyle @ Nov 1 2006, 10:27 AM) View Post

Iv been using it too, but the only complaint that I have is that it takes forever! Do u know of somthing that does it a bit quicker?
This is exactly what MS wants! For everyone to convert there files to there format! This will then force editors to produce all future content in WMV and eventually there format will become the norm. They are basicly forcing there format down your throught (if you want it or not). Im in the same boat and Im going to have to convert all my files to WMV if I want to stream them. This really annoys me so much!

To address the first part, unfortunately I don't know of anything quicker... Riverpast does a good job but it takes 3 hrs to convert a 114mb xvid file to a 339mb wmv file.  Kinda sucky...

*By the way, what settings do you use on Riverpast and how's it look on your console?

To address the second part, you are SPOT ON!  Shitty of M$, but a good move to get into the Market....

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(THDVL @ Oct 31 2006, 11:24 PM) View Post

So we can now play the WMVHD dvd's?

I can try my T2 DVD I got that has it.  But when I did it on my pc I had to get a license to play it.  So I donno if the 360 will :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5